Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

tv tuner

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blpwrs3

blpwrs3

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

I have a SD directv box but want to use my computer as the tv. I was told with a tv tuner I would be able to do this. Directv told me to have the channel on my computer to 3 and use the directv remote to change channels. My question is if I have a tv tuner that is also a video capture will I be able to record or do I still have to have a dvr from Directv. I have windows 7 and windows media center.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

I have a SD directv box but want to use my computer as the tv. I was told with a tv tuner I would be able to do this. Directv told me to have the channel on my computer to 3 and use the directv remote to change channels. My question is if I have a tv tuner that is also a video capture will I be able to record or do I still have to have a dvr from Directv. I have windows 7 and windows media center.

I have a computer with Vista Media Center hooked up to my Directv receiver and I am able to record programs without the Directv DVR. Does your PC's TV Tuner come with an IR Blaster? IF so, you can use it to change the channels on your Directv receiver thru the Windows Media Center 's interface.

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

Here's the reply I answered in your thread on SatelliteGuys.

"If you want to record or view DirecTV channels using the PC's tuner/capture card then you need a DirecTV receiver. I assume the PC tuner/capture card has composite inputs (R/W/Y) then use those outputs on the receiver. These will give you a better recording than the RF input. You can use the tuner/capture card's tuner for recording from an antenna."
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...