Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Install - Powerline connection with Whole House DVR??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slinger1317

slinger1317

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

I am looking at signing up for DirecTV and I would like to get 2 HD-DVR's with whole home DVR service. I have cable internet service and a Wireless N router with available ports. The modem/router is not near where the DVR's will be placed, and I am wondering what my options are. I would like to be able to access the On Demand features, but not concerned with Directv2mypc.

What is my best option for connecting to the internet? Should I go wireless, or is the powerline system more reliable? I have read many pros/cons for each. Is this something the tech will decide when he gets to my house, or do I need to specify during my order what type of internet connection I would like to use? Are there any other options available?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to getting some answers before I pull the trigger!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

You'll want to have the DECA networking and more than likely have the wireless Cinema Connection Kit.
Whole Home DVR will stay in the coax, for the best performance, while the internet will work fine with wireless.
This is exactly how mine is and works great.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

I tried Powerline networking with Whole Home. In three words or less... DON'T BOTHER. I've heard that if you get the 300Mbps powerline adapters that it works ok, but at that point you're spending more than you would on a DIRECTV-approved whole home install.

If you use the 85Mbps adapters, then SD works "ok" but HD is a disaster. To be honest, wireless is not really much better. If you're really savvy, you can set up a separate WLAN on the 5GHz band with 40MHz channels, and then so long as you're lucky, you should get decent performance, but it's a lot of work.

I tried every unsupported method there was before I broke down and paid the $149 for the whole home install. I'm a DBSTalk moderator and networking professional... if anyone can make this work, it would be me, that was my feeling. But nothing worked really well short of a direct point-to-point ethernet cable run from room to room. And that wasn't going to work because I'm clumsy and I would trip on it.

Bottom line, go the DIRECTV-approved route and you'll be glad you did.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,111 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

Like Stuart, I tried about every combination (other than ethernet) before WHDVR became available and the only one which gave acceptable performance was MoCA (using my OTA cabling), which is basically the same technology as DECA.

While powerline networking isn't very good for streaming video, you could have the receivers networked via WHDVR/DECA and use a wired Cinema Connection Kit (DECA adapter with power supply) to connect to your router via powerline. However, unless you have a very poor RF path to the router, wireless would be preferable for the router connection and probably less expensive.

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

Agreed. I tried Powerline adapters. Stay away. Stick with DECA for the WHDVR networking via coax, and the Cinema Connection Kit for bridging the DECA network to your home network for internet access.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   slinger1317

slinger1317

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

Thanks guys...do I have to specifically ask for a DECA setup, or is that the standard for WHDVR? Also, I will ask for the Cinema Connection kit as well.

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

DECA is standard with whole-home, but the CCK (cinema connection kit) must be a separate line item on the order, so be sure to ask for it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...