Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD satellite position change in 3 years?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ssaslow

ssaslow

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

About three or four years ago I went to upgrade my directv from SD to HD. I have fine line of sight in SD just over some tall trees in my backyard.

I did not have enough line of sight to get HD. The installer said that satellite is lower but they may switch satellites...

Does anyone know if in the last three or four years that Satellite may have changed for me to be able to get HD? Don't feel like wasting my time having them come out here for nothing.

I went to dishpointer but couldn't figure it out

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

You need to see the 99, 101, and 103 slots in order to receive HD channels.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

The installer might not be aware of the Slimline 3 dish that just needs 103, 101 and 99 which works a lot better for people who had line of site issues with 110 and 119, especially in the northeast.

Edit: I didn't see the 4 years ago part. The slimline 3 is a new dish that doesn't need 110 and 119. Depending on your market though, i.e. if the locals are on 119, it might not be in stock with local installers so you might need to call ahead.

Edited by KyL416, 02 August 2011 - 02:18 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

4 years ago (summer 2007) was when DirecTV 10 was launched, followed by DirecTV 11 late that year. So some core HD was still on (and required line of sight to) 110w and 119w as I recall.

Yes, times have changed and all HD programmign is now located at 99w and 103w. For reference 101w is the traditional SD programming main satellite location for DirecTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...