Ok let me just put all my issues and wishes in one post... keep in mind this is first impressions.
1. DirecTV2PC Adviser tool can't properly detect my memory or video card drivers. Puts a red circle next to video card, but guess what, it works fine.
2. Activation Key had to be resent to another e-mail address. It's not clear if there is a way to install it to multiple PC's in a household (more common these days). Even if you can't it's not clear if there is a procedure to 'deactivate' the key on one PC to allow it to activate on another PC.
3. GUI is a little slow... could be my PC (it's a little older).
4. 30 sec Skip button takes like 5 to 6 seconds to complete. It certainly isn't instant like it is on the actual DVR.
5. Sometimes the transport controls show up on screen and take a real long time to disappear... other-times the transport bar goes away in a few seconds.
6. The DVR free space indicator text is truncated. Says "29% Availab" as opposed to "29% Available" despite having plenty of room for the text.
7. The text is nice and sharp, but the DirecTV logo in the upper right looks like its a small graphic upscaled ie) blurry. A higher resolution source graphic would look better. Looked at this on my 1280x1024 monitor and my 1920x1080 monitor.
8. Installer took a little bit of time to fire off. The installer icon appeared in the taskbar, but there was no on screen indication that anything was installing for a few minutes. Then finally the install window appeared with the next/cancel buttons.
9. The info bar at the top comes down but there is no logo in the upper left corner. Shouldn't I see the same logo in the upper left corner that I see on the DVR?
10. It took me a bit to figure out how to get the PIG(Picture in Guide) back to full screen. I didn't realize you could just click on it!
11. Windows 7 disables Aero while this app is running. Any way around that?
12. Can't seem to play SD content! App hangs at 99% CPU usage. Have to lower priority to "Below Normal" in task manager just to be able to do anything on the computer. After a few minutes DirecTV2PC says that the connection to the receiver timed out. HD content plays fine.
1. Live TV with full guide (as long as you have an unoccupied tuner). Call it something like DirecTV2PC Doubleplay as a play on that feature. Give the same warnings when the tuner is called for recordings or a user requests using it.
2. Ability to browse on demand channels and pick content to download to the DVR. It would be great to queue up VOD material for watching later.
3. A port to iPad or MacOS (DirecTV2MAC, DirecTV2iPAD ?)
4. Ability to access the ToDo list to manage DVR recordings, history, priorities. Can you delete recordings on this version? Maybe even the ability to set favorite channel lists up and other settings (a real remote access to the DVR).
5. Bring these neat UI animations and crisp text to the real HR2x DVR as well!
Edited by cypherx, 02 August 2011 - 07:22 PM.
My DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, FXM, Oxygen, Discovery Family, Discovery Life, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, El Rey, Up, Music Choice Play HD, NASA, Epix (if reasonably priced)
My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV