Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

When you pay $400 for a receiver, you do want everything to work. That includes the so-call FREE stuff.

While I understand, was it really ever listed as working with DirecTV2PC?
Was this the reason you bought this brand new receiver?

It seems one thing to "buy" something and have it not work, while being another that it doesn't have all the options you expected.

The HR20s came with an OTA tuner, but it was six months before the software activated it. This to me rises to the level of "deserving" credits, while not having a "FREE app" work doesn't, but YMMV.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

I think this has always been more of an experimental app for them to gain streaming experience. I doubt resources are devoted to it anymore.

Eventually a whole new set of streaming apps will come out to stream on all devices via wifi or 3g/4g for a monthly charge and this free directv2pc will be shut down.

#203 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

I think this has always been more of an experimental app for them to gain streaming experience. I doubt resources are devoted to it anymore.

Eventually a whole new set of streaming apps will come out to stream on all devices via wifi or 3g/4g for a monthly charge and this free directv2pc will be shut down.

Bingo!
This app was the first to stream programing, and a testbed for MRV.
While it may not get "shut down", it will simply fade away as it's replaced with newer/other apps.
A.K.A VOS

#204 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,768 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

Bingo!
This app was the first to stream programing, and a testbed for MRV.
While it may not get "shut down", it will simply fade away as it's replaced with newer/other apps.

I expect DirecTV Everywhere to replace DirecTV2PC.

Doesn't solve my current issue with using DirecTV2PC as one of MRV tools.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#205 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

You know what would be great? An updated version that mirrored the new HD GUI. I know this will likely never happen, but it has the potential to look pretty sweet!

Agree with you but I'm guessing since they haven't upgraded Directv2PC with the new HD GUI launch this is a dead end product that won't be updated anymore and will be replaced by another product accessible via a web browser.

#206 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

I don't use DIRECTV2PC all that much, but one of the nice things about it was the screen would rescale as you resized the window. This let you keep DIRECTV2PC in a small window alongside other work you were doing.

If it moves to a browser interface, I hope they give a "pop-out" and "resize" options so aren't limited to YouTube-style video...

#207 OFFLINE   jbart1965

jbart1965

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

I'll use DT2PC as long as it exists. Got me hooked on mobility around my home - in my attic, in the kitchen, on the deck.

I had a two-year old Asus laptop that broke, so I bought two new PCs. Neither would work with DT2PC. Both got the green screen. One was new Toshiba and the other was a new Asus, both faster and more powerful than my prior laptop that worked with DT2PC.

I went to Best Buy and Office Depot and tried the advisor on about 20 PCs. Only two didnt completely fail the test on the graphics driver and screen content protection. Seems the newer PCs are not in Cyberlink's database.

So I ordered a third PC, another Asus, with a chip similar to what I had on my old PC. The old one had an Intel HD chip and a separate 525 mb Nvidia 210M chip with "purevideo HD."

My new PC has the same integrated Intel chip with the Nvidia 310M 1G chip, also with Purevideo HD.

http://www.amazon.co...4/ref=de_a_smtd

It worked. I am using an older DT2PC version and have no plans to upgrade.

#208 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:11 AM

I have an HR20 and an HR24. I have whole home service, wireless internet and DECA So there is no cat5 involved.

I'd like to run DIRECTV2PC from my HR20. I thought I heard my installer say not to plug in an ethernet cable because it could cause "problems". Is it ok to run ethernet to my pc?
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#209 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

No, don't plug an ethernet cable into your HR20 that will disable your MRV.

You need to connect your DECA network to your home network with either a wirless or wired DECA.

I'm suprised the tech didn't take care of that, or maybe he did and you wern't paying attention..

Do your HR's connect to the internet?
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#210 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

No, don't plug an ethernet cable into your HR20 that will disable your MRV.

You need to connect your DECA network to your home network with either a wirless or wired DECA.

I'm suprised the tech didn't take care of that, or maybe he did and you wern't paying attention..

Do your HR's connect to the internet?

Both receivers are internet connected.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#211 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:55 AM

So your D2PC should work through your router no ethernet cable required.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#212 OFFLINE   willmw

willmw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

It worked. I am using an older DT2PC version and have no plans to upgrade.

Which version are you using and is it available anywhere for download (or would you share it). I'd really like to get this to work and would like to give that version a try.

#213 OFFLINE   seannorek

seannorek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hi all. I've a Dell Lattitude E5420 laptop. It's got an Intel HD Graphics 3000 card and the latest driver frm intel. I can get audio fine but just the green screen. Running the playbak advisor it shows up unknown for graphics card, red on Screen Capture Protection, and red on graphics card driver. Not sure what to do here. I tried connecting my old 19in lcd monitor that's at least 6 yrs old and it's still green on that as well.

#214 OFFLINE   Zeosstud

Zeosstud

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

I also get perfect audio and the green screen with my Intel 2500K chip on an Asus Z68 Motherboard, I just dont think it is going to work with the built on video. I have ordered a Nvidia Ti 550 video card to see if this helps, will report back in a few days. Seems silly the advisor is basically worthless anymore, would it really be that hard to update the program to at least give accurate results..

- Zeosstud

#215 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Seems silly the advisor is basically worthless anymore, would it really be that hard to update the program to at least give accurate results..

- Zeosstud

While it may be "silly", the fact seems also to be that this app isn't getting anymore support.
This was the first streaming app, and there are newer ones out/or coming out.
A.K.A VOS

#216 OFFLINE   Zeosstud

Zeosstud

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Just wanted to take a second and report that directv2pc works a treat with my new nvidia ti 550 video card. One thing to note, while the default drivers recommended for the 550 from the nvidia website worked just fine with directv2pc, those drivers broke my windows media center live tv function. After confirming my install of shark007 and hdhomerun drivers I found that this result was a known issue and the fix was to just install a new *beta* version of the nvidia drivers right from their website.. This worked perfectly.

- Zeosstud

#217 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

I just want to be clear. I have 2 DVRs connected via whole home wireless. Both receivers are connected via coax, no cat-5 (I can't remember the term)

If I run an ethernet cable from my router to my pc, directv2pc will work?

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#218 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

I just want to be clear. I have 2 DVRs connected via whole home wireless. Both receivers are connected via coax, no cat-5 (I can't remember the term)

If I run an ethernet cable from my router to my pc, directv2pc will work?

It does here. I did need to tweak my wireless router as when I was playing OTA recordings, I found a 16 Mb/s limit that caused dropped frames. Finding a better wireless channel resolved that for me.
A.K.A VOS

#219 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Two out of my three DVRs received the "Pandora" update last night. It appears that this last update broke DirecTV2PC with regards to opening folders.

If you try to open up a folder from within DirecTV2PC, the folder doesn't open and it just changes the folder icon to a triangle icon.

I can switch back to my other DVR, which doesn't have the "Pandora" update yet and folders opening/closing work fine.

Wondering if others are seeing this?

[Edit - maybe this is flakey but switching back/forth between DVRs is causing the Playlist to act weird, almost as if it's flipping back and forth between two DVRs - weird]

#220 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

Two out of my three DVRs received the "Pandora" update last night. It appears that this last update broke DirecTV2PC with regards to opening folders.

If you try to open up a folder from within DirecTV2PC, the folder doesn't open and it just changes the folder icon to a triangle icon.

I can switch back to my other DVR, which doesn't have the "Pandora" update yet and folders opening/closing work fine.

Wondering if others are seeing this?

[Edit - maybe this is flakey but switching back/forth between DVRs is causing the Playlist to act weird, almost as if it's flipping back and forth between two DVRs - weird]

Nope, I have two with the "pandora" update and just checked both playlists, and they play normally.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall