Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Check the following: Win 7 Control Panel; Hardware and Sound; Sound; Manage audio devices; Playback tab; verify that no digital output is the default. In the attached Picture, I have Speakers as the default and digital output disabled).

DRM and D* prevent us from using digital output unless it is DRM compliant.

I hope that helps. Best wishes!

In your case, you wouldn't have to disable the digital audio out, if you install the Realtek driver [from their website].
If you look back in this thread, last fall Microsoft pushed an update that screwed up the playback, but Realtek's driver works fine [again].
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

In your case,....Realtek's driver works fine [again].

Thanks, I was using Win 7 PRO installed drivers. I downloaded the Realtek AC'97 driver. I will give it a try.

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#243 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Thanks, I was using Win 7 PRO installed drivers. I downloaded the Realtek AC'97 driver. I will give it a try.

Not sure the AC'97 is it, but this is:
http://www.realtek.c...3&GetDown=false
A.K.A VOS

#244 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

Not sure the AC'97 is it......

Thank you for the link. I downloaded and installed the updated drivers for my audio chip.

My sound chip uses RealTek AC'97 Codec/Driver as shown on the attachment:

Have a great day!

Attached Thumbnails

• RealTek-AC'97-Codecs.JPG

2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#245 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thank you for the link. I downloaded and installed the updated drivers for my audio chip.

My sound chip uses RealTek AC'97 Codec/Driver as shown on the attachment:

Have a great day!

I had to use that on an old chip/PC, but this was what I'm using now:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1330959621

Attached Thumbnails

• Realtek.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#246 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

I had to use that on an old chip/PC.......

It is an old PC. One of the last I built before retiring. I used to build white boxes as a side job. No money to update. Thanks for the information.

Have a great day!

2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
Linksys WRT310N

#247 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

Here's my situation. In my former home, I had no whole home or deca, just a linksys wireless "G" router. The router is on the other end of the basement from the DVRs. I first tried wireless g for Directv2pc when it first came out. Standard def channels worked, but any hint of HD was choppy and unwatchable. My solution? String 75' of cat5. The results were perfect!

Fast forward to the home I'm currently in. I have 2 DVRs, an HR24 and an HR20-100. I have DECA and whole home connection (the newer wireless system) So the internet connection between boxes goes through coax (no cat 5, as I'm sure your all aware.)

I wanted to install D2PC and was told not to connect cat 5 to the DVRs, as this was unnecessary, and would screw up the whole system. They said my pc should see the receivers. Well it did see them, but as expected, wireless g HD was choppy and unwatchable.

So here's the $64,000 question. If I drill a hole through the floor and run cat 5 from my router to my pc? The reason I ask is that I have the WIRELESS whole home connection kit from directv. Is this going to cause a bottleneck like my wireless g, or will it provide sufficient bandwidth for D2PC? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank You,
Eric
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#248 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

So here's the $64,000 question. If I drill a hole through the floor and run cat 5 from my router to my pc? The reason I ask is that I have the WIRELESS whole home connection kit from directv. Is this going to cause a bottleneck like my wireless g, or will it provide sufficient bandwidth for D2PC? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank You,
Eric

I've got DECA, a wireless CCK, a wireless G router, and a cat5 to this PC.
When I first tried DirecTV2PC, it worked fine "but" watching OTA HD was limiting at 16 Mb/s, and then would be choppy as frames were being dropped.
I logged into the router and changed wireless channels. It now works fine.
Not sure what the wireless band looks like where you are, but here there are well over a dozen with decent power and another dozen that are weak.
Thankfully most are still on their default channel, so some are still free.
A.K.A VOS

#249 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

......I logged into the router and changed wireless channels. It now works fine.......Not sure what the wireless band looks like where you are, but here there are well over a dozen with decent power and another dozen that are weak. Thankfully most are still on their default channel, so some are still free.

Changing wireless channels works wonders. I had trouble with the D* Whole Home and HD until I found a channel not being used by my nearest neighbors. Unfortunately, there is no vacant channels just less used.

DirecTV2PC usually works for SD and HD except I have an occasional problem connecting to master bedroom DVR. I have a main wireless N router which connects to an N wireless bridge (70% to 80% signal strength); and a G wireless bridge, master bedroom, (40% to 50% signal strength). Currently, I have all on channel 11. You can see that signal strength is why DirecTV2PC and Whole Home has a problem with the master bedroom.

2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
Linksys WRT310N

#250 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

Changing wireless channels works wonders. I had trouble with the D* Whole Home and HD until I found a channel not being used by my nearest neighbors. Unfortunately, there is no vacant channels just less used.

DirecTV2PC usually works for SD and HD except I have an occasional problem connecting to master bedroom DVR. I have a main wireless N router which connects to an N wireless bridge (70% to 80% signal strength); and a G wireless bridge, master bedroom, (40% to 50% signal strength). Currently, I have all on channel 11. You can see that signal strength is why DirecTV2PC and Whole Home has a problem with the master bedroom.

Not sure if you can use the 5 GHz band, or must stay with the 2.4 GHz.
If you have a [windows] laptop, you might look at this app for a better look and the frequencies and the channel usage: http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/

I was able to get a much better look at things here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1330723237
A.K.A VOS

#251 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Not sure if you can use the 5 GHz band, or must stay with the 2.4 GHz.........

My main wireless router is 2.4 GHz (N), and it connects to an N wireless bridge. I have a 70% to 80% signal. The master bedroom is a 2.4 (G) wireless bridge which I hacked with DD-WRT firmware. The transmitter is set at 71%, but the signal is 45% to 50%. I could boost the transmitter, but I do not want to burn it out (Linksys WRT54g v3). I am stuck with a mixed network. I would like to go all 5 GHz (N) with a repeater. But the Boss has other ideas like switching to U-verse. The channel change helped. DirecTV2PC works pretty good but the WH is not too great. I am thinking about dropping it. Thanks for the suggestions. Have a great day!

Edited by allenn, 11 March 2012 - 04:05 PM.

2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
Linksys WRT310N

#252 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

So whole house uses wi-fi like Directv2pc ? If so, I don't see it working well in my house. I had to run a special CAT-5 line to my PC for Directv2PC to work smoothly.

I expected whole house to at least have some buffering to the external reciever so if the wifi was too slow it could download some of the show before watching.

#253 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

So whole house uses wi-fi like Directv2pc ? If so, I don't see it working well in my house. I had to run a special CAT-5 line to my PC for Directv2PC to work smoothly.

I expected whole house to at least have some buffering to the external reciever so if the wifi was too slow it could download some of the show before watching.

We're sort of wandering off topic here, "but" Whole Home DVR service [aka MRV], with connected home networking [aka DECA] uses coax, so it's hardwired.
The bridging from the coax networking to the home ethernet network can be done either hardwired or wireless. Since the normal use of the bridging is for internet access, wireless can work well.
Depending on how well this wireless link works, you may have good luck using DirecTV2PC.
A.K.A VOS

#254 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

Not sure if you can use the 5 GHz band, or must stay with the 2.4 GHz.
If you have a [windows] laptop, you might look at this app for a better look and the frequencies and the channel usage: http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/.....

Thanks for the link. I am playing with the software now. It really provides a better picture of my access points. I hope I can tweak my settings to get better connectivity for DirecTV2PC and MRV. Best wishes.

2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
Linksys WRT310N

#255 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Visiting my parents for a few weeks. I have a desktop pc from home in my bedroom. It has a wireless g antenna and DTV2PC loaded from home. My parents have 2 DVRs, MRV and wireless CCK.

Just for fun, I thought I'd try DTV2PC with wireless g. Everything is smooth, except for OTA MPEG-2!
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#256 OFFLINE   virtualkev

virtualkev

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

hi All --

I'm running an (ahem) "few year old" Lenovo T60 laptop.

(Don't laugh, with a 256gb SSD and 4GB RAM / Win7 x64, my T60 still outperforms 2012 edition Dell Vostros etc)

The graphics card -- an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 -- is supposedly HDCP-ready, but I've been unable to persuade any recent version of DirecTV2PC to work with it, even after installing SlySoft AnyDVD.

Has anyone had success with the X1400/T60 combination -- OR, do any of you still have a copy of 4526 lying around that you could "YouSendIt" to me?

Thanks

-K

#257 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

I have a basic install question.....

I downloaded the program, installed it, than ran the Playback Advisor.

It was all green except the processor (running an older system with a P4 3.0Ghz).

I wanted to try and see if it would work, but it looks like nothing else was installed. Did I miss something? I'm hesitant to start the install process again, considering the limited keys.....

Sounds like you only downloaded the advisor and need to follow the link in the first post of this thread for the DirecTV2PC app, after you get a serial number to your email address.
I'm guessing if you go back and cancel the pop-up that was the advisor, you'll see where to enter your email address and can continue.
A.K.A VOS

#258 OFFLINE   buckZor

buckZor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Very jittery, erratic performance when streaming from HR-34. Works very nicely from HR-24. I'm beginning to dread ordering this HR-34 lemon.

#259 OFFLINE   Dave from Kazoo

Dave from Kazoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

I decided last night to install Directv2pc on my desk top. It first came up with a message about not being able to play etc. I remove the VM ware on the system and now it works great streaming from the HR34.

#260 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I dont know if this has ever been mentioned before (so not going back years to find out), but I have noticed that if you are watching VOD content that says FF has been disabled, you can actually FF it on the PC. The problem is that if you stop half way through and watch it on the DVR, it wont pick up where you left off and wont let you FF to where you were.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

Protected By... spam firewall...And...