Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

After a few years of flawless use I am getting the "an error has occurred" message when I try to play something. It's been a while but I believe I had that error and I fixed it by turning of digital on my sound card. I have been messing with sound card settings with no luck.

I haven't made any changes to my set up at all.

Might be time for a fresh install and reinstall codecs unless someone has other things for me to try.

That's the same reason why I converted to unsupported MRV (whole home DVR) because I get too much errors message and cutoffs, I tried the email thing to get MRV but eventually called Tech Support to activate it with no problems.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

I didn't know whole home support would play on my PC. I will look into it right away.

First, I will do a full uninstall and reinstall of directv2pc when I get a chance.

#323 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

After a few years of flawless use I am getting the "an error has occurred" message when I try to play something. It's been a while but I believe I had that error and I fixed it by turning of digital on my sound card. I have been messing with sound card settings with no luck.

I haven't made any changes to my set up at all.

Might be time for a fresh install and reinstall codecs unless someone has other things for me to try.

I did some searching on Google and found my own answer from earlier in this thread.. http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=124

These are the steps to fix if you have this problem:

• Download Directv2pc from the first post of this thread
  • Uninstall current version of Directv2pc
  • Shut down PC then turn it back on
  • Turn off your firewall/AV program
  • Right click install as admin - the file you downloaded from first post of this thread
  • Enter your most recent activation key when prompted that was emailed to you. (I used one from 2011) Save your activation code email!
  • After you enter activation key you know things are going well if you get messages about downloading and installing codecs and updating program.
  • After install Start Directv2pc
  • It will scan and find your DVRs, select one and start watching TV.
  • Restart Firewall/AV program.

Restarting PC, installing as admin, and turning off Firewall AV may or may not be necessary, but I wanted to cover all bases in one reinstall.

I really love this program when it works. With March Madness and baseball season coming up it is a must for me to have so I can watch and work at the same time.

I had 2 years of flawless use, reinstalled, 2 more years of flawless use, and reinstalled. Hopefully I get two more years. :)

I am fairly sure this problem is caused by the codecs this program uses getting deleted, corrupted, or quarantined.

It would be nice if they had a codec pack to reinstall but since this program is not supported, I was happy the download still worked. I am saving my copy this time in case the download link stops working one day.

I really don't see this program sticking around much longer. :(

*** If the program used to work for you and stopped working for some unknown reason, can't find recievers, crashes, etc... I would recommend the full uninstall and reinstall steps above. It takes about 30 minutes and is worth a shot.

Edited by Special Ed, 14 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.
more info

#324 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I didn't know whole home support would play on my PC. I will look into it right away.

First, I will do a full uninstall and reinstall of directv2pc when I get a chance.

No I meant on the DVR not the PC, sorry for the confusion

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#325 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

*** If the program used to work for you and stopped working for some unknown reason, can't find recievers, crashes, etc... I would recommend the full uninstall and reinstall steps above. It takes about 30 minutes and is worth a shot.

Another thing that "bit me" was a sound chip updated driver from Microsoft.
I had to go to the chip maker's site and download their driver to get working again.
A.K.A VOS

#326 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I hope they don't drop this app. I use it primarily for my TV viewing.

#327 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

No I meant on the DVR not the PC, sorry for the confusion

We only have one 60" plazma TV. No other TVs, so my giant Computer screen monitors can serve as a second HDTV when I get kicked off the main TV by the family or want to work and watch a game.

I guess when directv2pc dies for good I will need to get a sling box or something like that to do the same.

#328 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

We only have one 60" plazma TV. No other TVs, so my giant Computer screen monitors can serve as a second HDTV when I get kicked off the main TV by the family or want to work and watch a game.

I guess when directv2pc dies for good I will need to get a sling box or something like that to do the same.

I have a feeling dirctv2pc will never get another update. I am pretty sure over time that nomad and streaming will give you all the functionality of dirctv2pc and more.

#329 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

I have a feeling dirctv2pc will never get another update. I am pretty sure over time that nomad and streaming will give you all the functionality of dirctv2pc and more.

Agree.

Surprised to see this thread is even "alive" anymore. The software hasn't really been updated in quite some time, and as stated, is likely at the end of it's life cycle with alternatives available.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#330 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Agree.

Surprised to see this thread is even "alive" anymore. The software hasn't really been updated in quite some time, and as stated, is likely at the end of it's life cycle with alternatives available.

As long as it keeps working I'll be happy!

#331 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

As long as it keeps working I'll be happy!

Nothing wrong with that.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#332 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

I've thought about doing the same but what drives me away from doing that is the reliability and problems I keep hearing for slingboxes, plus my high speed Internet is not fast enough with just 3mbps from comcrap because I can justify paying more.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#333 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've thought about doing the same but what drives me away from doing that is the reliability and problems I keep hearing for slingboxes, plus my high speed Internet is not fast enough with just 3mbps from comcrap because I can justify paying more.

I never bought sling box because I can't believe it would give me much of a picture on the road. My thinking is within my house it would work better and it is not that expensive.

One thought: I believe Slingbox is wireless only and I have a wired connection from my entertainment center to my PC. I was having problems streaming high HD quality stuff over Wifi from the DVR to PC and I needed a faster connection for Netflix as WiFi would rarely stream higher quality netflix HD.

So I paid a guy to run a coax from my upstairs router to my my downstairs TV viewing area. Now streaming either way works great.

Agree.

Sometimes I think the only people using Directv2PC are us hardy souls in this thread.

So I can start thinking about a non-directv2PC strategy, what are some of the alternatives to play and control programming from my DVR to my PC - Over a wired connection if possible for glitch free streaming.

#334 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

That's a main reason for nomad. You can just take shows with you and don't need to stream them over slow speed connections.

#335 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

nomad is handy now for streaming near live and use the iPad in the garage, deck or basement. Particularly for locals / sports that aren't streamed in DAFI.

Or to keep an eye on something while we're watching the big TV.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#336 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

nomad is handy now for streaming near live and use the iPad in the garage, deck or basement. Particularly for locals / sports that aren't streamed in DAFI.

Or to keep an eye on something while we're watching the big TV.

I was looking at the Nomad "how it works video" and it says you must download recordings to your device or PC before watching them.

So it would not work for watching sports which I stream live to my pc as it is recording on DVR -- Unless Nomad has changed and video has not been updated.

#337 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

The last update added a 'Watch Now' for anything recorded (or currently recording!) on your HD DVRs.

The D website even has a 'Stream shows instantly' headline on the nomad page.

I was looking at the Nomad "how it works video" and it says you must download recordings to your device or PC before watching them.

So it would not work for watching sports which I stream live to my pc as it is recording on DVR -- Unless Nomad has changed and video has not been updated.

#338 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

The last update added a 'Watch Now' for anything recorded (or currently recording!) on your HD DVRs.

The D website even has a 'Stream shows instantly' headline on the nomad page.

Great, other than paying the initial price, there seems to be no downside. Also, It will be easy to load-up the tablets and laptops with programing for vacationing with the kids.

Good to know there is an option out there.

Just to be clear:
  • Streaming recording now stuff will work with my PC.
  • Can I use my wireless only.
  • If wireless streaming only, is the picture quality just as good as Directv2pc? (DTV2PC streams the entire program to the PC - It sounds like Nomad compresses the program first.)

#339 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Yes to all your questions. nomad does transcode to a lower resolution but it's hardly noticable because of the smaller screen.

And it works on your home network, wired or wireless (PC or Mac) and of course iPhone/iPad wirelessly.

#340 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yes to all your questions. nomad does transcode to a lower resolution but it's hardly noticable because of the smaller screen.

And it works on your home network, wired or wireless (PC or Mac) and of course iPhone/iPad wirelessly.

Looking at the Nomad discussion here, it seems that sports packages are considered pay per view and won't stream or be portable.

Not a big deal for me unless the fox sports pack is considered a PPV sports package.

I'll stick with Directv2PC until they shut me down. This computer is a few years old and I am thinking of doing an upgrade soon, but I worry that will kill DTV2PC for me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...