Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#451 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

or the Slingbox app care is that you are connected to the network

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Not sure what your are saying. Tapatalk typos I think.

Looks like my potential options to stream high quality video from my DVR to my PC like DirectTV2PC are:

Slingbox - not sure if I can sling to upstairs PC with highspeed ethernet connection.  Also some concern about Slingbox down converting 5.1 audio to 2.0 to my home entertainment center. That would really suck.

Genie to Go - I think it uses lots of compression and is wifi streaming only in the home.

ElGato EyeTV - Can't figure out what it is or how it would work.

Slingbox and Genie to go would offer me other options that DirecTV2PC didn't have like remote viewing outside.  Not that I really need that feature and I suspect quality would be poor.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#452 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,569 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

Neither the GenieGo or the Slingbox apps cares how you connect yoru PC to the internet. both stream directly from the receiver using your LAN (while in home). The Slingbox app seems to allow better picture quality as DirecTV has throttle down the GenieGo to about 2Mbps IIRC. The Slingbox may go twice as much but nothing compared to DirecTV2PC

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#453 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,569 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:38 PM

EyeTV I would say is on par with Geniego as far as PQ is concerned, tho the app is very rudimentary. The max EyeTV would stream in wifi is 2000Kbps

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#454 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

Sounds like no good options.  I have a support ticket into radeon on how to turn on screen capture protection but my hopes are not high.

#455 OFFLINE   tivoreno

tivoreno

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:05 PM

Crap! Been using Directv2pc for years and had it working just fine on Windows 10...got a new SSD and did a clean install, now I can no longer get an activation code and my old ones no longer work. Any chance someone has an unused one they can PM me?

#456 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

All of a sudden I was asked for my activation key.  Everything I tried failed.  Finally found a key that I guess either hadnt been used or was the original key I was using.  Either way it forced me to finally order a GenieGo.  I'd been using Directv2PC for years to watch shows while gaming.  Looks like its days are numbered.  Too bad too.  GenieGo works fine but I really liked the DVR interface of Directv2PC

since 2001

HR24-500 - LG 55"

HR23-700 - Sony 60"

HR21-700 - Sony 40"

HR24-200 - Samsung 37"

#457 OFFLINE   twizt3dkitty

twizt3dkitty

• Registered
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

Ahh the days of directv2pc... I will miss them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#458 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

I haven't used this program in months so I guess we can now officially say RIP  :crying:

#459 OFFLINE   yzytck1

yzytck1

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

Same issue here...I had to reinstall the software and was working fine with the original activation code.  I had to reinstall a new HDD and after installing this time, I receive the message that I've exceeded the number of activations and need a new key.  I opened a tech support dialog with Cyberlink as the software is connecting to their server,  After being bounced to 2-3 techs, they finally responded that they do not support the software.  All I wanted was for them to update the database flag so I could continue to activate with the key I have.

It sucks that Directv is taking away this capability and wanting to charge me for the GenieGo hardware.  All I want to do is stream from my DVR to my office PC on my own network.  You'd think I'd be able to do that without additional hardware!  That's how Directv thanks me as a loyal customer for the last 16 years!

#460 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,663 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:56 AM

Same issue here...I had to reinstall the software and was working fine with the original activation code. I had to reinstall a new HDD and after installing this time, I receive the message that I've exceeded the number of activations and need a new key. I opened a tech support dialog with Cyberlink as the software is connecting to their server, After being bounced to 2-3 techs, they finally responded that they do not support the software. All I wanted was for them to update the database flag so I could continue to activate with the key I have.
It sucks that Directv is taking away this capability and wanting to charge me for the GenieGo hardware. All I want to do is stream from my DVR to my office PC on my own network. You'd think I'd be able to do that without additional hardware! That's how Directv thanks me as a loyal customer for the last 16 years!

Well if whatever you want to watch is available on demand or is live tv you can get it off the web site. And genie go capability will be built into the actual genie sometime this year. So they won't be charging you for it.

But this software hasn't been officially supported in years.

#461 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 823 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

Mine is still working (knock wood), but I did have to set the Win 10 shortcut used to load it to Win7 compatibility mode. If I ever had to come up with my activation code, I'd be S.O.L.

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR44-200, HR24-500
Sorry, I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#462 OFFLINE   CuttySnark

CuttySnark

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

Well if whatever you want to watch is available on demand or is live tv you can get it off the web site. And genie go capability will be built into the actual genie sometime this year. So they won't be charging you for it.

But this software hasn't been officially supported in years.

They're going to charge for it.

#463 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,663 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

They're going to charge for it.

We'll see. I kinda doubt it. Maybe a one time fee to activate it I could see but regular charge I don't by it till I see it unless it's going to do more than what I'm expecting.

#464 OFFLINE   CuttySnark

CuttySnark

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

We'll see. I kinda doubt it. Maybe a one time fee to activate it I could see but regular charge I don't by it till I see it unless it's going to do more than what I'm expecting.

Those that had the geniego service at 0/month would stay that way but those that get it later would have a monthly charge for the service. At least that was the plan a year ago. But then I do not remember a mention of discontinuing the sale of the geniego but I believe continuous support alongside hr44 transcoding with there being more benefits having the geniego versus box transcoding (increasing resolution to 720p, more shows being able to be transcoded at once, etc). So I could be wrong but if there was already outlines of a way to bill the service and how it would integrate with D*'s accounting software (which there was) then I sincerely doubt that part of the transcoding project has changed.

#465 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,663 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:26 AM

On demand has had a line in the billing since day one. Just because it has a line on billing and to activate it on the account doesn't mean there has to be a charge. Could also need to be there just to activate it on the account.

#466 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

I haven't used this program in months so I guess we can now officially say RIP  :crying:

I think this program still works but you need an older video card with hardware based screen capture control.  I updated my 5 year old high end gamer video card that would heat up my entire office and sounded like a train with a cheaper lighter card that seems just as fast. (Radeon R7 260x).  Soon after I upgraded the card I discovered  DirecTV2Pc stopped working.

I still have my old card, maybe I'll stick it in for football season in the winter.  

I found this on an Intel graphics forum but it probably applies to all newer video cards:

=====================================================

I've got some unfortunate news.  I've recently learned that the company which supports this software, Cyberlink*, is no longer updating the application, which has resulted in a loss of support for our products.  DirecTV* in turn, is not actively seeking an update to this application as well.

A detailed explanation from one of our engineers follows, let me know if there are any questions on it;

"Intel’s Windows 8 drivers only support OS methods to protect video content.  The current version of DirecTV2PC software only attempts to use old proprietary methods on Intel hardware.

Other vendors are still using the same methods they did on previous OSes.  (either OS or their own proprietary methods which are compatible with Windows 8).

In any case, Intel does not support the older proprietary methods that were used in Windows 7.

Unfortunately, DirecTV2PC only attempts to use old proprietary methods on Intel hardware.

This is not something that Intel can fix.  Intel’s old proprietary interfaces are incompatible with Windows 8."

#467 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 823 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

<snip>

In any case, Intel does not support the older proprietary methods that were used in Windows 7.

Unfortunately, DirecTV2PC only attempts to use old proprietary methods on Intel hardware.

This is not something that Intel can fix.  Intel’s old proprietary interfaces are incompatible with Windows 8."

Does setting your shortcut for DirecTV2PC to Win7 compatibility mode allow it to work on newer cards?

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR44-200, HR24-500
Sorry, I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#468 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 9,643 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

No.

We don't own the hotel . . . We don't know when we check out!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#469 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

Does setting your shortcut for DirecTV2PC to Win7 compatibility mode allow it to work on newer cards?

No, Directv2pc looks to Video Card hardware level screen capture control.  The newer cards use Windows 8 or 10 operating system screen capture control.  My old card worked fine on Windows 10, but the new card gets the "video card does not support screen capture control" error.

I remember once with old card I tried to capture a screen shot of me on TV during a baseball game and the capture was green.  So that is what the capture control does, stops the easy copying of content to computer.

My old card is a monster sized video card that I really don't want back in my computer.  I may shop ebay for an older 2010 video card that I can swap in as needed.  I don't do any gaming anymore so don't need the latest and greatest and miss easy streaming of a perfect DVR stream to my computer.  I also hear that other solutions like genie go and sling box are of poor quality.

#470 OFFLINE   edenkers

edenkers

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

The DIRECTV2PC was the best program to view your DVR recordings on a PC.  I have been using this software for years and it worked just fine on my Windows 10 computer.

I just recently had to replace my hard drive and do a re-install and now I'm getting dealing with the Activation Key issue even though I've only activated my current key once, it is telling me that activation limit has been reached.  I have tried every key that I've ever had (about 10 or so) and they all appear to have reached their activation limit.

I thought, no big deal, I just create another e-mail address and get a new key only to find that this is no longer available.  I am totally bummed out because for me the DIRECTV2PC app was way better than the GenieGo software.  It just worked and had good resolution, where as the GenieGo software is spotty at best and that's if you can get it to even work on Windows 10.

If anyone has an un-used activation key that they would be willing to PM me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...