Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

I looks like your installing or running the adviser remotely using logmein... which would load a different display driver when remote versus sitting in front your machine.

Just a thought...

Nope. I was sitting in front of the machine.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

I get activation limit reached this limit thing needs to be removed tired of haveing to get new ones

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#43 OFFLINE   DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

I also have my saved license keys but it doesn't work because apparently I need an endless supply of email addresses to activate FREE software.

Put it this way, this is not a money making app for DTV, to be honest I can only use it if I have a DIRECTV DVR and a subscription so, to be honest, there should be NO activation required, its not like its streaming DTV programming over the Internet and I can "steal" something.

As was stated before, the installer can detect an older version so why need to re-enter the exact same key for activation that was already there? To top it off, only two registrations for each email address!? WTF? Registering from multiple email addresses is usually a sign of abuse.

Think I'm done with DTV... Hope they are reading these posts.

#44 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

I also have my saved license keys but it doesn't work because apparently I need an endless supply of email addresses to activate FREE software.

Put it this way, this is not a money making app for DTV, to be honest I can only use it if I have a DIRECTV DVR and a subscription so, to be honest, there should be NO activation required, its not like its streaming DTV programming over the Internet and I can "steal" something.

As was stated before, the installer can detect an older version so why need to re-enter the exact same key for activation that was already there? To top it off, only two registrations for each email address!? WTF? Registering from multiple email addresses is usually a sign of abuse.

I agree with you but how much you wanna bet that the whole activation key wasn't just put in there to appease content owners and try to avoid potential lawsuits.

I know it's trivial, it doesn't really need anything except an email address to send a key to. They don't even verify if that's the email on your account. Just seems like an extra step, but insurance against a trivial lawsuit from the studios I guess.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#45 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

I can clear up one part. The activation is a requirement of the DTCP-IP licensing agreement. DTCP-IP is a licensed technology, which DIRECTV pays for.

Unfortunately, unlimited licenses can be very, very expensive (as I understand it) so by paying for just the ones they need, things are more reasonable.

The other unfortunate part is we who upgrade via DBSTalk, rather than the builtin mechanism, tend to run into this licensing problem.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

*yawn*
Once again this version went in without any drama.
Let this uninstall the older version, pasted in my old key.
Activated, updated codex without issues.
Was a bit slow to bring up the first playlist, but not after the first time.

*yawn*
:lol:
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

This program is a headache for most and kinda sucks at this point.

#48 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

I can clear up one part. The activation is a requirement of the DTCP-IP licensing agreement. DTCP-IP is a licensed technology, which DIRECTV pays for.

Unfortunately, unlimited licenses can be very, very expensive (as I understand it) so by paying for just the ones they need, things are more reasonable.

The other unfortunate part is we who upgrade via DBSTalk, rather than the builtin mechanism, tend to run into this licensing problem.

Cheers,
Tom

I am not sure what you are saying here. Why would being a member of DBStalk have anything to do with running software on the PC? Unless you are saying that the link on DBS talk points to a different link/file than what other direct tv users use.

#49 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

I am not sure what you are saying here. Why would being a member of DBStalk have anything to do with running software on the PC? Unless you are saying that the link on DBS talk points to a different link/file than what other direct tv users use.

The link in this thread is a pre-release Beta.
A.K.A VOS

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:42 AM

This program is a headache for most and kinda sucks at this point.

The posts in this thread mirror posts that have been in every release thread previously.
This apps seems to work fine for some, yet be a PITA for others.
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

As VOS says it is pre-release, and also because it is not using the automatic upgrade process. (Which I presume better preserves the key.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#52 OFFLINE   Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

That would seem to make it more important for them to address this problem. If prior license keys are paid for by DirecTV, then having them just vanish and making the user acquire a new key (which DirecTV also pays for) to re-install makes no sense.

On the other hand, this is from Cyberlink, which has one of the most messed-up licensing / activation schemes out there...

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

I only have one thing on my wish list...

1. Mac compatibility

Agreed +1

#54 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

It is asking me for a passcode to unlock the parental locks. However, I have never setup a passcode on any of my DVRs. What do I need to do?

#55 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,900 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

It is asking me for a passcode to unlock the parental locks. However, I have never setup a passcode on any of my DVRs. What do I need to do?

Try 0000.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#56 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Try 0000.

I tried that but no dice.

#57 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,900 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

I tried that but no dice.

Try setting up a code on the DVR, then use it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#58 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Try setting up a code on the DVR, then use it.

That did it. Thanks. I wonder why DirecTv2PC set up parental blocks when they were not present on any of my DVRs?

#59 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:27 AM

That did it. Thanks. I wonder why DirecTv2PC set up parental blocks when they were not present on any of my DVRs?

I don't know, I didn't have that problem.

The biggest issue is that I can't playback SD programs. Freezes the app at 99% CPU usage and that makes everything else on the computer very slow. 5 minutes into that, it eventually errors out that it cant connect or it timed out. HD stuff plays fine.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#60 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:45 AM

I don't know, I didn't have that problem.

The biggest issue is that I can't playback SD programs. Freezes the app at 99% CPU usage and that makes everything else on the computer very slow. 5 minutes into that, it eventually errors out that it cant connect or it timed out. HD stuff plays fine.

This is quite strange. The HD [MPEG-4] decoding is being done by your GPU, while SD [MPEG-2] is only using your CPU.
What's strange is your CPU having problems.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall