Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

This is quite strange. The HD [MPEG-4] decoding is being done by your GPU, while SD [MPEG-2] is only using your CPU.
What's strange is your CPU having problems.

No way to change that, I presume? Setting, ini file, command line switch, graphic driver tweak, etc?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

No way to change that, I presume? Setting, ini file, command line switch, graphic driver tweak, etc?

Not that I know of, but maybe the real question might be what CPU are you using that is having problems decoding SD???
A.K.A VOS

#63 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

Not that I know of, but maybe the real question might be what CPU are you using that is having problems decoding SD???

It's older AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (single core, socket 939)
however it plays all kinds of video from SD to HD in a multitude of formats (flash, html5, divx, h.264, x264, qt/mov, avi, DVD's (ripped or from DVD drive), etc.

I also dual boot MacOSX 10.6.7 (snow leopard) thanks to the help from some of the hackintosh boards out there. However I primarilly work and play in Windows 7 32-bit.

I'd love to upgrade but one thing leads to another. New CPU, new socket so new motherboard. New MB ok now new ram (DDR-400 is outdated now). I could probably use the same power supply as it was recently replaced a year ago with a nice Corsair one. DVD drives are IDE and I see that's being phased out. Sound card is PCI not PCIe. Oh well it works for what I use it for (net, paying bills and quicken).

Hey I have a win7 codec pack installed which includes stuff like ffdshow and all kinds of settings. Maybe that interferes?

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#64 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

It's older AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (single core, socket 939)
however it plays all kinds of video from SD to HD in a multitude of formats (flash, html5, divx, h.264, x264, qt/mov, avi, DVD's (ripped or from DVD drive), etc.

I also dual boot MacOSX 10.6.7 (snow leopard) thanks to the help from some of the hackintosh boards out there. However I primarilly work and play in Windows 7 32-bit.

I'd love to upgrade but one thing leads to another. New CPU, new socket so new motherboard. New MB ok now new ram (DDR-400 is outdated now). I could probably use the same power supply as it was recently replaced a year ago with a nice Corsair one. DVD drives are IDE and I see that's being phased out. Sound card is PCI not PCIe. Oh well it works for what I use it for (net, paying bills and quicken).

Hey I have a win7 codec pack installed which includes stuff like ffdshow and all kinds of settings. Maybe that interferes?

DirecTV encodes the file before writing to the drive, so there is more decoding than "just" MPEG-2. I'm not that familiar with AMD products, but have used an old Pentium 4 HT [478 pin], which would work fine for the old MPEG-2 HD, but below 2.8 GHz, would start showing problems.
Not sure about those "extra" codec packs, as long, long ago [before the MPEG-4 was being done by the GPU] I tried to "improve" playback by downloading some, and ended up trashing DirecTV2PC completely. Uninstalling them didn't help either and I had to do a completely fresh Vista install to get DirecTV2PC working again.
A.K.A VOS

#65 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

Theres literally pages and pages of settings in some of these codec packs. One of these days I will have to take the time and mess with it. I also have a laptop here running the public version of DirecTV2PC but I think that's the opposite problem (SD plays, HD is terribly choppy).

Really I can't wait for Nomad and streaming to iPad.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#66 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

Theres literally pages and pages of settings in some of these codec packs. One of these days I will have to take the time and mess with it. I also have a laptop here running the public version of DirecTV2PC but I think that's the opposite problem (SD plays, HD is terribly choppy).

Really I can't wait for Nomad and streaming to iPad.

Your laptop sounds like it doesn't have that good of a GPU for the h.264 decoding [which is fairly common], while your other one does.
Since DirecTV2PC DOESN'T use any of those codec packs, they may be what's hogging your CPU, as they tend to try to be the default codec.
A.K.A VOS

#67 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

Yeah it's something with codecs because if I tell ffdshow to not launch with DirecTV2PC app, it then says DirecTV will download components required to play and does NOTHING. Re-enable ffdshow and it launches fine. So there's pages and pages of settings in ffdshow, so at least I have a common point to look at.

Edited by cypherx, 05 August 2011 - 11:49 AM.
iphone typos

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#68 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

There's something like 3 megs of DirecTV codec that should have been downloaded on the first launching of this app.
A.K.A VOS

#69 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

There's something like 3 megs of DirecTV codec that should have been downloaded on the first launching of this app.

It did when I installed the new build and activated it. If I disable ffdshow it "thinks" it does not have the codecs, so it goes to download them again.... But they are already there so I think that's why it freezes.

Anyway I re-enabled ffdshow and it launches again... Just only plays HD. Next I'm going to try to record MPEG4 SD like NASAtv and see what happens.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#70 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Ok NASA works. It's an mpeg2 codec issue. Mpeg4 works (SD and HD).

Oxygen for example freezes and in a few minutes it says "the receiver is not responding. Please check the connection and try again."

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#71 OFFLINE   NVTanner

NVTanner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

No matter what I do this program will not start or run in Win7. I used to work flawlessly now it won't even start up or run. This is another disappointment!

John in LV, NV

#72 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

No matter what I do this program will not start or run in Win7. I used to work flawlessly now it won't even start up or run. This is another disappointment!

Works fine here with Win7 64.
A.K.A VOS

#73 OFFLINE   Denman

Denman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:20 AM

install was smooth...had old key but missed copy and paste from the ini file where it was stored, got new key. Old version of DirectPc with newer AMD drivers locked the computer solid (Windows 7 Ultimate) new version seems stable and no lockups yet....spoke too soon it locked up solid after 5 minutes will troubleshoot when time permits.

Edited by Denman, 06 August 2011 - 01:47 AM.

#74 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

I'm a newbie when it comes to the Directv2PC... I was hoping someone could help.

Finally got my system hooked up to my network two weeks ago and I saw this sticky for a new version of the 2PC so I thought I'd give it a try.

It installed properly but I receive the "cannot display because your graphics card does not support capture protection".

I read through a dozen threads on this dating back a long time and I don't see a solution.

Any help?

I have a Dell laptop with a Intel 945GM chipset.

From what I can conclude, my chip or displayport can't support copy protection so they just make it not work?

Seems pretty dumb to me. Also see many complaints for the same problem so I find it hard to believe they would release a product that won't work for a lot of people.

Any solutions, or explanations why I'm screwed would be greatly appreciated!!

#75 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

Any solutions, or explanations why I'm screwed would be greatly appreciated!!

I don't have any solutions, but maybe an explanation.
Laptops tend to be built to a target price and to do this they trim their cost/performance, and the graphics chip is a big part of this.
ATI & nVidia chips are expensive.
The prevention of screen capture is needed with DirecTV for them to comply with their content suppliers.
As Blu-rays disks become more popular, laptops will be moving to graphic chips that comply, but this does leave out the older laptops, as it did with the older desktops, but they can upgrade their video cards with the newer chips.
A.K.A VOS

#76 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

I guess it makes sense to some extent... still seems rather dumb that Slingbox, netflix, hulu, etc. all can run on my laptop but this Directv program requires something different. It would be nice if they came up with a fix

#77 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

I guess it makes sense to some extent... still seems rather dumb that Slingbox, netflix, hulu, etc. all can run on my laptop but this Directv program requires something different. It would be nice if they came up with a fix

I think the difference is that DirecTV2PC has access to the whole HD image, where the others have been downgraded for internet streaming.
A.K.A VOS

#78 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

That's stupid about the laptop thing. The screen is physically attached to it. What do they think people are going to do, take it apart and reverse engineer the ribbon cable that connects the bottom half of the laptop to the top half? It's not like a PC or set top box where you actually have to 'hook up' a display. It's all one unit.

As far as external video outputs on the laptop, just block those... but the internal screen should always work. It's digital, and even if the NSA rolls by with TEMPEST in a white van sitting outside your house, I doubt they can get the laptop screen. Analog VGA yes, but not proprietary digital (i don't think).

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#79 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

That's stupid about the laptop thing. The screen is physically attached to it. What do they think people are going to do, take it apart and reverse engineer the ribbon cable that connects the bottom half of the laptop to the top half? It's not like a PC or set top box where you actually have to 'hook up' a display. It's all one unit.

As far as external video outputs on the laptop, just block those... but the internal screen should always work. It's digital, and even if the NSA rolls by with TEMPEST in a white van sitting outside your house, I doubt they can get the laptop screen. Analog VGA yes, but not proprietary digital (i don't think).

I think you're missing the part about software that will capture the screen video.
A.K.A VOS

#80 OFFLINE   edenkers

edenkers

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

I had an Acer Aspire 6930 notebook with Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset with integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (Intel® GMA 4500MHD) with up to 1759 MB of Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 (64 MB of dedicated video memory, up to 1695 MB of shared system memory), supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10.

We also have an HP notebook with an Intel HD Graphics series with an Core i3 processor.

The DirecTV2PC application works beautifully on these machine with Integrated Intel graphics chipsets.

I recently puchased a Toshiba P775 series that has the Mobile Intel® HM65 Express Chipset which is also part of the Intel HD Series graphics chipsets. I'm running the latest drivers.

The application loads and I can view recorded content that is Standard Definition and also content that was recorded in High Definition from over the air channels. Any HD content that was recorded from any other channel has sound but the video is a solid green picture.

This really sucks! I am very disappointed that the Directv2pc application does not work properly on a newer model laptop.

Does anyone know of any settings that I could change in my graphics adapter to make this work?

Edited by edenkers, 06 August 2011 - 06:00 PM.
Revised statement and added a question.

spam firewall