After a few years of this program working fairly well, last week I started getting the dreaded "An error has occurred" error message with no further information other than a yellow close button.
A Google search turns up several other people having the problem but not many suggestions. One suggestion was to reinstall directv2pc and reboot receivers. Did this, but no joy. Only one person found and posted his solution, a directv2pc codec was quarantined by McAfee. I use ZoneAlarm and tried turned it off, looked at for quarantined codecs with no luck.
Very frustrating because I don't know the first thing to do. I began to count on this program to watch TV on my computer when the wife had dibs on the main TV.
Looking at my add remove programs I see that microsoft silverlight was installed on 10/12.. So I will removed it and same problem.
I am thinking most likely a Windows 7 auto update killed the program or a Directv2pc auto update suddenly broke it on my computer. I have spend about 5 hours troubleshooting and don't know what else to try.
Any other ideas? Anyone else experience and fix this issue?Edit:
Oh Happy Day! I stumbled on a fix. For anyone that comes upon this problem, try this.
1.) Uninstall the program
2.) Reboot computer (I did not reboot the first time I uninstalled)
3.) Use the latest activation key you have during installation. (I have two keys from 2010, the first reinstall I used the older key)
*** I knew I was on the right track as soon as I started Directv2pc for the first time. It started to load, then stopped and asked me to make sure I was connected to the internet then asked me to click on a yellow activate button. I clicked the activate button and I saw a downloading codecs message, when the new files finished downloading directv3pc opened. I clicked on a recorded program and it started perfectly.
The first time I reinstalled this program I never got the activate button and it did not download the codecs during the install.
I wish I knew for sure, but either step 2 or 3 were the difference between reinstall #1 not working and reinstall #2 working. Either my older activation key is no longer valid or the reboot cleared the registry of old info from the original install that went bad for some reason and made for a cleaner 'new' install.
Edited by Special Ed, 25 October 2011 - 12:16 PM.