Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

I'm running Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Developers Edition) in dual-boot mode. Video card is an NVidia 7600 GT (supported), drivers are the latest and (supposedly) greatest, monitor is a brand new 24" Samsung connected via DVI-to-HDMI cable, all network adapters/switches are gigabit.

Windows 7 - software installed just fine and I can access (see) the recorded shows on the DVR. When I try and play anything, I get the dreaded
"DIRECTPC cannot play the video content because your computer or monitor does not support the playback of protected content." message.

Windows 8 - software installed just fine and I can access (see) the recorded shows on the DVR. I can play any program I want, from start to finish, ONCE. I can pause it, FFW, Rewind, whatever. If I hit the stop button, it stops. If I then try and play the same show again or ANYTHING else, I get the same dreaded message above (... does not support the playback of protected content.").

Any suggestions/ideas?

Older Fart

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

I'm running Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Developers Edition) in dual-boot mode. Video card is an NVidia 7600 GT (supported), drivers are the latest and (supposedly) greatest, monitor is a brand new 24" Samsung connected via DVI-to-HDMI cable, all network adapters/switches are gigabit.

Windows 7 - software installed just fine and I can access (see) the recorded shows on the DVR. When I try and play anything, I get the dreaded
"DIRECTPC cannot play the video content because your computer or monitor does not support the playback of protected content." message.

Windows 8 - software installed just fine and I can access (see) the recorded shows on the DVR. I can play any program I want, from start to finish, ONCE. I can pause it, FFW, Rewind, whatever. If I hit the stop button, it stops. If I then try and play the same show again or ANYTHING else, I get the same dreaded message above (... does not support the playback of protected content.").

Any suggestions/ideas?

Older Fart

The NVidia 7600 GT isn't really a good card/chip for this.
I've used many ATI from the 2000 through 3650 without problems & currently use the NVidia 8800 GT.
A.K.A VOS

#128 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

Most likely your monitor is not HDCP compliant. If possible remove the DVI to HDMI cable and use a standard analog cable. I think that will solve your problem. Unless you are running audio through the HDMI to your monitor, you should not notice a quality difference over all.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Older Fart

#129 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

Special Ed - The brand new Samsung SyncMaster SA350 specs state: "DVI with HDCP". Not running audio through the HDMI cable. Although I don't see the point, I will try switching to an analog cable to see if that helps, although the only connectors on the video card are DVI (I have adapters). Thanks for the suggestion.

veryoldschool - The NVidia 7600 GT specs support XHD (Extreme HD), which goes WAY beyond 1080i/p specs, in both resolution (up to 2560x1600) and frame rates. It is Dual-Link DVI and SLI capable, although I don't run it in either mode. Thanks for offering your opinion, but I'm not about to trash a perfectly good video card just to watch TV on my computer.

I think both the monitor and the video card are more than capable. When it does work, video performance during streaming of an HD program off the DVR (in Windows 8) is flawless, as is the case with locally played .TS files (1080p files off an attached hard drive), from both Win7 and Win8 (as well as WinXP when I have that hard drive connected). I am not a "gamer", so I have no idea what the combo looks like under heavy gaming stress, not that it's relevant.

I appreciate the feedback. Anyone else have any ideas?

Older Fart

#130 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

Older Fart
While it is a good card, what I think you're running into is the lack of HDCP, which is the error it's reporting.
Changing to analog removes this problem.
A.K.A VOS

#131 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

veryoldschool: I guess while the new monitor is definitely HDCP rated. the video card is NOT, although I have no clue why they BOTH have to be HDCP rated. I would think one or the other would be sufficient. Obviously, the industry's paranoia runs deep.

The only "red dot" I get from the DTV2PC Advisor is for Windows 8, which I guess is to be expected since it won't be officially released until about a year from now. Go figure. It's incredibly fast and stable for a beta, although I'm not crazy about the new (goofy) GUI.

You were right, veryoldschool. I switched over to an analog cable and DTV2PC now works like a champ, on both Win7 and Win8 (Win8 is actually a bit smoother). I also rebooted the DVR, although that made no difference whatsoever (I tested it before swapping out the cable). I read somewhere else here that rebooting it might help. It didn't.

Obviously, it was a hardware issue. I'll see if I can find a reasonably priced HDCP rated video card on NewEgg. I CAN see a difference in the video quality (analog versus digital HDMI), and while I could certainly live with it, I'd rather not.

Thanks very much for the tip. Your help is greatly appreciated. Pat yourself on the back and have a good one.

Older Fart

#132 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

After poking around on NewEgg, I'm wondering if anyone out there in DTV2PC land has any experience with this card -

PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 (just copy and paste into Newegg's search engine). I'd post a URL to it, but I don't have enough "points" (posts). I'll work on that in my spare time (uh huh).

It has DVI, D-Sub and HDMI ports (everything I need), 1 GB of DDR3 (although only 128-bit), it's low-profile, low-power, AND it's an HDCP rated. For only 50 bucks after rebate, it also looks like a bargain.

If anyone has any opinions of or experience with this card, I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Older Fart

#133 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:27 AM

It has DVI, D-Sub and HDMI ports (everything I need), 1 GB of DDR3 (although only 128-bit), it's low-profile, low-power, AND it's an HDCP rated. For only 50 bucks after rebate, it also looks like a bargain.

If anyone has any opinions of or experience with this card, I would appreciate some feedback.

I don't have experience with that specific card, but $50 isn't a bad price. Do you play 3D accelerated games on your computer? Is high performance graphics very important to you? If you do play games what kind are they? Stuff like Call of Duty, or Portal, or are they just like simple 2D facebook games or things like Solitaire?

Point is, if your heavy into gaming, especially first person shooters, you could really spend a decent buck on video cards.

However if that's not your thing, I would think this PNY card would suit you well. I have an ATI Radeon HD 4670 and it has HDMI, DVI and VGA out. I use the HDMI cable to a 22" Dell monitor and a DVI cable to a 19" Dell monitor. Both monitors can display DirecTV2PC video. I don't game much, but when I do I can tell you it runs Starcraft 2, The Sims, Half-Life 2, Portal 1 & 2 all without issues.

As for DirecTV2PC....
I hope they update it one of these days to look more like the DirecTV iPad app with its higher resolution, new modern color scheme. Adding streaming access like the new iPad app would be great too, as well as adding the ability to set recordings, look at the guide and manage to do lists. I really hope it is updated to look like the new UI coming out soon. Maybe even add Nomad management functionality into it.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#134 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:35 AM

It probably is time to upgrade your 5 year old video card anyway. That's a long time in video card years. $50 gets you a lot of video card now a days and the GT 430 looks like a very good budget card.

After poking around on NewEgg, I'm wondering if anyone out there in DTV2PC land has any experience with this card -

PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 (just copy and paste into Newegg's search engine). I'd post a URL to it, but I don't have enough "points" (posts). I'll work on that in my spare time (uh huh).

Thanks in advance,

Older Fart

#135 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice. You folks are great!

I agree that a 5-year old video card doesn't hold a lot of sentimental value, although as previously stated, the video quality (which is the ONLY thing I care about) from that "old" card is superb. That, no doubt, is a reflection upon NVidia's excellent drivers, which have always impressed me.

Also as previously stated, I am not a "gamer", so that really holds no interest for me. I do understand though that gaming in general is what drives the high-end hardware market and pushes manufacturers to pump out newer, better, faster, more feature-rich components.

I suppose that's appropriate, but for someone like me (a developer), I only need enough horsepower to write, compile and link the applications I develop, along with the websites I create for my clients. None of them care about gaming either.

Still, any improvement in hardware is worth spending money on. The only reason I want to watch recorded programs on my computer, is to keep the noise down late at night (by using headphones). My wife appreciates that more than you can imagine. Gotta keep the piece.

Later,

Older Fart

#136 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

. The only reason I want to watch recorded programs on my computer, is to keep the noise down late at night (by using headphones). My wife appreciates that more than you can imagine. Gotta keep the piece.

I love the program because we have only one Giant 60" TV for the family. I can keep the piece by watching something on my computer, which has full surround sound from my older but still high end pre-HDMI Denon receiver that was replaced when I went High def.

It would be nice if they added full functionality to the program and made it a bit less quirky.

#137 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

I've had so little interaction with the software (DTV2PC) that I don't really have any complaints (yet) or criticisms, one way or the other. I understand there is an iPad version of it out now (we have an iPad 2, so I may try it) that has a new user interface and a few features not yet available in the PC version.

Just based on the size (or lack thereof) of the iPad though, as compared to my 24" Samsung flat panel, I'm not sure the iPad version would even be worth trying. I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to the Samsung panel, and although the "dots" are much smaller on the iPad, it's still a LOT smaller.

Getting back to the software, I suppose it would be great if we could watch LIVE programing, or at least schedule it via the user interface. Is it possible with the current version to watch a program that's currently being recorded, or does the recording have to finish and THEN you can watch it? Just curious.

While I understand the industry's paranoia with folks swiping their products, given the determination of those who have the ability and determination to figure out a way around those mechanisms that were designed to prevent the theft of those products, not to mention the distribution of all those
"wares" via USENET, you'd think they'd give up spending millions to protect what they'll NEVER be able to fully protect. Seems like a big waste of time and money to me. If there's a will, they WILL find a way (to crack anything).

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Older Fart

#138 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Is it possible with the current version to watch a program that's currently being recorded, or does the recording have to finish and THEN you can watch it?

YES, you can watch a program while it is being recorded.

#139 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

YES, you can watch a program while it is being recorded.

I did that all the time during the baseball season, there's about a 1 to 2 min delay between the stream on the computer and the live feed.

#140 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Just based on the size (or lack thereof) of the iPad though, as compared to my 24" Samsung flat panel, I'm not sure the iPad version would even be worth trying. I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to the Samsung panel, and although the "dots" are much smaller on the iPad, it's still a LOT smaller.

The ipad version does not play recordings from the DVR though. The new version can stream live TV for a SELECT handful of channels (maybe 30 or so networks?)

You could however use it to tell your home DVR to record something (like a wifi remote that works anywhere in your house), while your at your PC you should then see that recording in DirecTV2PC and play it.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#141 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

redsoxfan26 wrote:
"YES, you can watch a program while it is being recorded."
-----

Awesome. Good to know. Thanks for the info. My WAY better half is from Boston, so I'm sure you can imagine how "WE" feel about the Sox (die-hard fans). Personally, I'm more of a football fan (make that a junky), although the Mrs. is too. Thank God for compatible women and the NFL Sunday Ticket !!

keenan wrote:
"I did that all the time during the baseball season, there's about a 1 to 2 min delay between the stream on the computer and the live feed."
-----

If I could put up with all the commercials (which I can't), I'm sure I'd do the same thing. I generally wait 20 minutes per 1-hour of recorded programming before I start watching a show, assuming it's not an HBO or some other commercial free program. That's good to know though, that we CAN watch a show in "near" real-time (what with time being relative and all). Thanks for the info.

cypherx wrote:
"The ipad version does not play recordings from the DVR though. The new version can stream live TV for a SELECT handful of channels (maybe 30 or so networks?)"

"You could however use it to tell your home DVR to record something (like a wifi remote that works anywhere in your house), while your at your PC you should then see that recording in DirecTV2PC and play it."
-----

Even MORE useful info! Thanks to all for taking the time to pass it along. Paying it forward seems to be a way of life around here. You're a good group a folks and I'm proud to be a member.

No idea why they'd allow the capability to record programming and live streaming from the iPad version, and NOT recorded programming, all while providing the exact opposite from the PC version? What kind of drugs DO the DirecTV folks take? That just makes no sense to me at all, but what do I know.

The OBVIOUS solution is to install iOS as a virtual instance (a la VMware or whatever) under Win7 or Win8, or whatever your choice of weapons happens to be, and run the PC version of the software concurrently as a separate task (under the main OS). That way you could have access to and use BOTH applications at the same time (the PC version and the iPad version), all from the same desktop. The best of both worlds. There's always a way to skin a cat.

I believe the Apple (or whoever developed it) development environment for iPad/iPhone apps allows you to do that (launch apps from within the development environment). I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I know the Google Android development environment allows you to do that.

This is all cool stuff. Thanks to all for the great info, and have a good weekend.

Older Fart

#142 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

The OBVIOUS solution is to install iOS as a virtual instance (a la VMware or whatever) under Win7 or Win8, or whatever your choice of weapons happens to be, and run the PC version of the software concurrently as a separate task (under the main OS). That way you could have access to and use BOTH applications at the same time (the PC version and the iPad version), all from the same desktop. The best of both worlds. There's always a way to skin a cat.

I believe the Apple (or whoever developed it) development environment for iPad/iPhone apps allows you to do that (launch apps from within the development environment). I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I know the Google Android development environment allows you to do that.

This is all cool stuff. Thanks to all for the great info, and have a good weekend.

Older Fart

To run iOS in a VM you need to download the Xcode development environment from apple. This costs $99 for a basic developer license. Another catch? Xcode runs on a Mac. DirecTV2PC doesn't.

Best bet is to use your iPad. You can also schedule recordings through DirecTV.com once logged into your account. I'm not sure of the delay... But it could also be an option. Once that recording starts, it should be available to you for watch via DirecTV2PC.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#143 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

You can actually run OSX on a PC, via VMWare. I've done it. OSX is just BSD UNIX (which I've also installed in VMWare), with a customized (by Apple) GUI wrapped around it. I believe it's called Aqua. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to install OSX under VMWare. I have a total of 9 computers in the house, two of which are Macs (a Mac Pro and a Mac Mini). I also have an iPhone and my better half has an iPad 2 and an Android phone.

All the rest are an assortment of laptop and desktop computers (some are servers). We have 3 wireless routers/repeaters set up throughout the house, so any computer, iPad, iPhone or Android phone, can connect from anywhere.

Obviously, the opposite is also true; i.e. you can install VMware Fusion on OSX and then install Windows XP, Vista or Win7 under Fusion (my Mac Mini is running Fusion with WinXP installed). I haven't tried installing Win8 in VMware (yet), but since it's based on Win7, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

The only thing I don't know is what the OSX iPad/iPhone development environment supports, in terms of a wireless adapter (the actually hardware). I guess the question is; will it use whatever built-in or attached wireless adapter you may have plugged into your computer, or does it REQUIRE the actual iPad wireless hardware? Big unknown there.

While it's probably possible, I'm not sure it's worth all the time and effort (probably not). Since the iPad is so small, sitting it next to my keyboard while I'm in Win7 or Win8 (mostly 8 lately) is no big deal either. I do enjoy a good challenge though, so maybe I'll take a stab at it (one of these days).

Anyway, just food for thought. I don't really have any complaints with the basic functionality of DTV2PC. It is what it is and if that's all they want to give us, I can live with it. If they redesign it and add more features, there will be yet another reason to remain a loyal customer (aside from the NFL Sunday Ticket).

Oder Fart

#144 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

I think we're starting to wonder away from the topic for this thread, which is DirecTV2PC "Issues & Discussion"
I'm sure there are other threads more suited for MAC/Apple/I whatever.
If not, please feel free to start one. :)
A.K.A VOS

#145 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Any guesses as to how many DIRECTV2PC users there are out there?
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#146 OFFLINE   braz9

braz9

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

I have been using Directv2PC for a while now on my desktop and it has worked great. I recently purchased a laptop to have around the house. I got an ASUS with an i7 cpu and GTX 560M video card. I installed Directv2PC and it worked great. I took the laptop back and exchanged it for another ASUS that had the HD display and Blu-Ray player. The new laptop still had the same cpu and video card as the first one.

I loaded up Directv2PC on the new laptop and get an error during playback. The following error happens about 10 seconds into the program, "Unknown output connector. Supported connectors are:.....". I also noticed on the play list screen some of the titles were missing and some of the folder icons were pink. When you hover over the titles with the mouse they would reappear.

Here is what I have tried besides reinstalling the program like 5 times. I have turned off all firewalls and virus programs. I have set the desktop background to a plain theme. I have turned off the 3D option on the video card.

I am just at a loss as to how this will not work on this new laptop like it would the old one, especially since they have the same specs.

Thanks in advance.

#147 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

As a test, hook an external monitor to your laptop via an analog cable and see if it works. Perhaps the built in monitor is not HDCP compliant, or some weird internal video card to laptop screen connecter is being used to connect to the HD screen that Directv2pc simply does not work with.

This is about the quirkiest program ever, once you get it working. Don't mess with anything.

#148 OFFLINE   braz9

braz9

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

Ok so I hooked the laptop up to my LCD TV. First via the VGA cable and it actually worked, but the play list was still screwed up with titles disappearing and such, but I was able to watch the show.

I then hooked the laptop up via the HDMI cable. This method also worked but the play list screen was even more screwed up, but again I was able to watch more than 10 secs of the show.

I then tried switching the display back to the laptop (F8) but still with the HDMI cable hooked up. I was not able to watch any show.

So the million dollar question, how do I fix this or can I?

#149 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

I just upgraded 2 7507, what's odd on the DirecTV site if you go to redownload from there it still has the older version and not 7507 which I found odd. Anyway I loveeee how clear DTV2PC is. I wanted to watch Sunday Night Football and was watching in on the NBC feed but the bitrate was sucking tonight (it wasn't my connection) but even at 2.1 megabits which is the highest it will go DTV2PC is just awesome for picture quality. Will crush my HAVA & any webfeed.

Just a hint for some of you, the easiest way to upgrade is just uninstall your old version completely. Then just generate a new key using a temp e-mail address it doesn't take long. I never use my old keys when I upgrade most the time I don't even save them I don't want problems with it activating and it doesn't take long 2 make a new key. Don't really notice anything different with this version over the old.

#150 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

Well, I have to apologize a bit for some of the statements I made. Turns out I was running the version from D*'s website and not this newest version. Big difference on my el-cheapo Acer laptop.

this is much quicker to load and operate, and the video in HD is very solid and good. No pixelation, although I get some rare video stops. But that happens for SD programming also, so I don't know what is going on there.

I still think that the programmers have made more work out of it than it needs to be. And here's why. When I was with Dish just a few months ago, they had an iPad app that would do what this application does, it just did it on an iPad which is certainly way underpowered compared to the min specs of this program. I don't quite understand why they would take that route.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Hopper w/Sling/Dish Network
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Harman Kardon 3700, 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...