Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

Like VOS I too ran this with an P4HT setup and Nvidia midrange video card and I had no real issues with this software. HD worked just fine.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Messed around with my parental controls on my HR21 because I have a slingbox attached and I didn't want someone buying PPV's without my knowledge. Well anyways I turned off the parental controls but now shows TV-M or 14 appear as "Blocked Title" on DTV2PC. All content shows as allowed on the HR21. Any ideas?

#123 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

Messed around with my parental controls on my HR21 because I have a slingbox attached and I didn't want someone buying PPV's without my knowledge. Well anyways I turned off the parental controls but now shows TV-M or 14 appear as "Blocked Title" on DTV2PC. All content shows as allowed on the HR21. Any ideas?

It ofter took me one or two parental code entries on the DIRECTV2PC before settings finally took. Just be patient and enter the code a couple of times, if this does not solve your problem, there may be other forces at play.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#124 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

After a few years of this program working fairly well, last week I started getting the dreaded "An error has occurred" error message with no further information other than a yellow close button.

A Google search turns up several other people having the problem but not many suggestions. One suggestion was to reinstall directv2pc and reboot receivers. Did this, but no joy. Only one person found and posted his solution, a directv2pc codec was quarantined by McAfee. I use ZoneAlarm and tried turned it off, looked at for quarantined codecs with no luck.

Very frustrating because I don't know the first thing to do. I began to count on this program to watch TV on my computer when the wife had dibs on the main TV.

Looking at my add remove programs I see that microsoft silverlight was installed on 10/12.. So I will removed it and same problem.

I am thinking most likely a Windows 7 auto update killed the program or a Directv2pc auto update suddenly broke it on my computer. I have spend about 5 hours troubleshooting and don't know what else to try.

Any other ideas? Anyone else experience and fix this issue?

Edit:

Oh Happy Day! I stumbled on a fix. For anyone that comes upon this problem, try this.

1.) Uninstall the program
2.) Reboot computer (I did not reboot the first time I uninstalled)
3.) Use the latest activation key you have during installation. (I have two keys from 2010, the first reinstall I used the older key)

*** I knew I was on the right track as soon as I started Directv2pc for the first time. It started to load, then stopped and asked me to make sure I was connected to the internet then asked me to click on a yellow activate button. I clicked the activate button and I saw a downloading codecs message, when the new files finished downloading directv3pc opened. I clicked on a recorded program and it started perfectly.

The first time I reinstalled this program I never got the activate button and it did not download the codecs during the install.

I wish I knew for sure, but either step 2 or 3 were the difference between reinstall #1 not working and reinstall #2 working. Either my older activation key is no longer valid or the reboot cleared the registry of old info from the original install that went bad for some reason and made for a cleaner 'new' install.

Edited by Special Ed, 25 October 2011 - 12:16 PM.
Solution found

#125 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

It ofter took me one or two parental code entries on the DIRECTV2PC before settings finally took. Just be patient and enter the code a couple of times, if this does not solve your problem, there may be other forces at play.

Hmmm but I totally turned parental control back off and it still says some shows are blocked. It's really odd...

#126 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

I'm running Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Developers Edition) in dual-boot mode. Video card is an NVidia 7600 GT (supported), drivers are the latest and (supposedly) greatest, monitor is a brand new 24" Samsung connected via DVI-to-HDMI cable, all network adapters/switches are gigabit.

Windows 7 - software installed just fine and I can access (see) the recorded shows on the DVR. When I try and play anything, I get the dreaded
"DIRECTPC cannot play the video content because your computer or monitor does not support the playback of protected content." message.

Windows 8 - software installed just fine and I can access (see) the recorded shows on the DVR. I can play any program I want, from start to finish, ONCE. I can pause it, FFW, Rewind, whatever. If I hit the stop button, it stops. If I then try and play the same show again or ANYTHING else, I get the same dreaded message above (... does not support the playback of protected content.").

Any suggestions/ideas?

Older Fart

#127 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

I'm running Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Developers Edition) in dual-boot mode. Video card is an NVidia 7600 GT (supported), drivers are the latest and (supposedly) greatest, monitor is a brand new 24" Samsung connected via DVI-to-HDMI cable, all network adapters/switches are gigabit.

Windows 7 - software installed just fine and I can access (see) the recorded shows on the DVR. When I try and play anything, I get the dreaded
"DIRECTPC cannot play the video content because your computer or monitor does not support the playback of protected content." message.

Windows 8 - software installed just fine and I can access (see) the recorded shows on the DVR. I can play any program I want, from start to finish, ONCE. I can pause it, FFW, Rewind, whatever. If I hit the stop button, it stops. If I then try and play the same show again or ANYTHING else, I get the same dreaded message above (... does not support the playback of protected content.").

Any suggestions/ideas?

Older Fart

The NVidia 7600 GT isn't really a good card/chip for this.
I've used many ATI from the 2000 through 3650 without problems & currently use the NVidia 8800 GT.
A.K.A VOS

#128 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

Most likely your monitor is not HDCP compliant. If possible remove the DVI to HDMI cable and use a standard analog cable. I think that will solve your problem. Unless you are running audio through the HDMI to your monitor, you should not notice a quality difference over all.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Older Fart

#129 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

Special Ed - The brand new Samsung SyncMaster SA350 specs state: "DVI with HDCP". Not running audio through the HDMI cable. Although I don't see the point, I will try switching to an analog cable to see if that helps, although the only connectors on the video card are DVI (I have adapters). Thanks for the suggestion.

veryoldschool - The NVidia 7600 GT specs support XHD (Extreme HD), which goes WAY beyond 1080i/p specs, in both resolution (up to 2560x1600) and frame rates. It is Dual-Link DVI and SLI capable, although I don't run it in either mode. Thanks for offering your opinion, but I'm not about to trash a perfectly good video card just to watch TV on my computer.

I think both the monitor and the video card are more than capable. When it does work, video performance during streaming of an HD program off the DVR (in Windows 8) is flawless, as is the case with locally played .TS files (1080p files off an attached hard drive), from both Win7 and Win8 (as well as WinXP when I have that hard drive connected). I am not a "gamer", so I have no idea what the combo looks like under heavy gaming stress, not that it's relevant.

I appreciate the feedback. Anyone else have any ideas?

Older Fart

#130 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

Older Fart
While it is a good card, what I think you're running into is the lack of HDCP, which is the error it's reporting.
Changing to analog removes this problem.
A.K.A VOS

#131 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

veryoldschool: I guess while the new monitor is definitely HDCP rated. the video card is NOT, although I have no clue why they BOTH have to be HDCP rated. I would think one or the other would be sufficient. Obviously, the industry's paranoia runs deep.

The only "red dot" I get from the DTV2PC Advisor is for Windows 8, which I guess is to be expected since it won't be officially released until about a year from now. Go figure. It's incredibly fast and stable for a beta, although I'm not crazy about the new (goofy) GUI.

You were right, veryoldschool. I switched over to an analog cable and DTV2PC now works like a champ, on both Win7 and Win8 (Win8 is actually a bit smoother). I also rebooted the DVR, although that made no difference whatsoever (I tested it before swapping out the cable). I read somewhere else here that rebooting it might help. It didn't.

Obviously, it was a hardware issue. I'll see if I can find a reasonably priced HDCP rated video card on NewEgg. I CAN see a difference in the video quality (analog versus digital HDMI), and while I could certainly live with it, I'd rather not.

Thanks very much for the tip. Your help is greatly appreciated. Pat yourself on the back and have a good one.

Older Fart

#132 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

After poking around on NewEgg, I'm wondering if anyone out there in DTV2PC land has any experience with this card -

PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 (just copy and paste into Newegg's search engine). I'd post a URL to it, but I don't have enough "points" (posts). I'll work on that in my spare time (uh huh).

It has DVI, D-Sub and HDMI ports (everything I need), 1 GB of DDR3 (although only 128-bit), it's low-profile, low-power, AND it's an HDCP rated. For only 50 bucks after rebate, it also looks like a bargain.

If anyone has any opinions of or experience with this card, I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Older Fart

#133 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:27 AM

It has DVI, D-Sub and HDMI ports (everything I need), 1 GB of DDR3 (although only 128-bit), it's low-profile, low-power, AND it's an HDCP rated. For only 50 bucks after rebate, it also looks like a bargain.

If anyone has any opinions of or experience with this card, I would appreciate some feedback.

I don't have experience with that specific card, but $50 isn't a bad price. Do you play 3D accelerated games on your computer? Is high performance graphics very important to you? If you do play games what kind are they? Stuff like Call of Duty, or Portal, or are they just like simple 2D facebook games or things like Solitaire?

Point is, if your heavy into gaming, especially first person shooters, you could really spend a decent buck on video cards.

However if that's not your thing, I would think this PNY card would suit you well. I have an ATI Radeon HD 4670 and it has HDMI, DVI and VGA out. I use the HDMI cable to a 22" Dell monitor and a DVI cable to a 19" Dell monitor. Both monitors can display DirecTV2PC video. I don't game much, but when I do I can tell you it runs Starcraft 2, The Sims, Half-Life 2, Portal 1 & 2 all without issues.

As for DirecTV2PC....
I hope they update it one of these days to look more like the DirecTV iPad app with its higher resolution, new modern color scheme. Adding streaming access like the new iPad app would be great too, as well as adding the ability to set recordings, look at the guide and manage to do lists. I really hope it is updated to look like the new UI coming out soon. Maybe even add Nomad management functionality into it.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#134 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:35 AM

It probably is time to upgrade your 5 year old video card anyway. That's a long time in video card years. $50 gets you a lot of video card now a days and the GT 430 looks like a very good budget card.

After poking around on NewEgg, I'm wondering if anyone out there in DTV2PC land has any experience with this card -

PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 (just copy and paste into Newegg's search engine). I'd post a URL to it, but I don't have enough "points" (posts). I'll work on that in my spare time (uh huh).

Thanks in advance,

Older Fart

#135 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice. You folks are great!

I agree that a 5-year old video card doesn't hold a lot of sentimental value, although as previously stated, the video quality (which is the ONLY thing I care about) from that "old" card is superb. That, no doubt, is a reflection upon NVidia's excellent drivers, which have always impressed me.

Also as previously stated, I am not a "gamer", so that really holds no interest for me. I do understand though that gaming in general is what drives the high-end hardware market and pushes manufacturers to pump out newer, better, faster, more feature-rich components.

I suppose that's appropriate, but for someone like me (a developer), I only need enough horsepower to write, compile and link the applications I develop, along with the websites I create for my clients. None of them care about gaming either.

Still, any improvement in hardware is worth spending money on. The only reason I want to watch recorded programs on my computer, is to keep the noise down late at night (by using headphones). My wife appreciates that more than you can imagine. Gotta keep the piece.

Later,

Older Fart

#136 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

. The only reason I want to watch recorded programs on my computer, is to keep the noise down late at night (by using headphones). My wife appreciates that more than you can imagine. Gotta keep the piece.

I love the program because we have only one Giant 60" TV for the family. I can keep the piece by watching something on my computer, which has full surround sound from my older but still high end pre-HDMI Denon receiver that was replaced when I went High def.

It would be nice if they added full functionality to the program and made it a bit less quirky.

#137 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

I've had so little interaction with the software (DTV2PC) that I don't really have any complaints (yet) or criticisms, one way or the other. I understand there is an iPad version of it out now (we have an iPad 2, so I may try it) that has a new user interface and a few features not yet available in the PC version.

Just based on the size (or lack thereof) of the iPad though, as compared to my 24" Samsung flat panel, I'm not sure the iPad version would even be worth trying. I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to the Samsung panel, and although the "dots" are much smaller on the iPad, it's still a LOT smaller.

Getting back to the software, I suppose it would be great if we could watch LIVE programing, or at least schedule it via the user interface. Is it possible with the current version to watch a program that's currently being recorded, or does the recording have to finish and THEN you can watch it? Just curious.

While I understand the industry's paranoia with folks swiping their products, given the determination of those who have the ability and determination to figure out a way around those mechanisms that were designed to prevent the theft of those products, not to mention the distribution of all those
"wares" via USENET, you'd think they'd give up spending millions to protect what they'll NEVER be able to fully protect. Seems like a big waste of time and money to me. If there's a will, they WILL find a way (to crack anything).

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Older Fart

#138 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Is it possible with the current version to watch a program that's currently being recorded, or does the recording have to finish and THEN you can watch it?

YES, you can watch a program while it is being recorded.

#139 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

YES, you can watch a program while it is being recorded.

I did that all the time during the baseball season, there's about a 1 to 2 min delay between the stream on the computer and the live feed.

#140 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Just based on the size (or lack thereof) of the iPad though, as compared to my 24" Samsung flat panel, I'm not sure the iPad version would even be worth trying. I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to the Samsung panel, and although the "dots" are much smaller on the iPad, it's still a LOT smaller.

The ipad version does not play recordings from the DVR though. The new version can stream live TV for a SELECT handful of channels (maybe 30 or so networks?)

You could however use it to tell your home DVR to record something (like a wifi remote that works anywhere in your house), while your at your PC you should then see that recording in DirecTV2PC and play it.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...