Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

redsoxfan26 wrote:
"YES, you can watch a program while it is being recorded."
-----

Awesome. Good to know. Thanks for the info. My WAY better half is from Boston, so I'm sure you can imagine how "WE" feel about the Sox (die-hard fans). Personally, I'm more of a football fan (make that a junky), although the Mrs. is too. Thank God for compatible women and the NFL Sunday Ticket !!

keenan wrote:
"I did that all the time during the baseball season, there's about a 1 to 2 min delay between the stream on the computer and the live feed."
-----

If I could put up with all the commercials (which I can't), I'm sure I'd do the same thing. I generally wait 20 minutes per 1-hour of recorded programming before I start watching a show, assuming it's not an HBO or some other commercial free program. That's good to know though, that we CAN watch a show in "near" real-time (what with time being relative and all). Thanks for the info.

cypherx wrote:
"The ipad version does not play recordings from the DVR though. The new version can stream live TV for a SELECT handful of channels (maybe 30 or so networks?)"

"You could however use it to tell your home DVR to record something (like a wifi remote that works anywhere in your house), while your at your PC you should then see that recording in DirecTV2PC and play it."
-----

Even MORE useful info! Thanks to all for taking the time to pass it along. Paying it forward seems to be a way of life around here. You're a good group a folks and I'm proud to be a member.

No idea why they'd allow the capability to record programming and live streaming from the iPad version, and NOT recorded programming, all while providing the exact opposite from the PC version? What kind of drugs DO the DirecTV folks take? That just makes no sense to me at all, but what do I know.

The OBVIOUS solution is to install iOS as a virtual instance (a la VMware or whatever) under Win7 or Win8, or whatever your choice of weapons happens to be, and run the PC version of the software concurrently as a separate task (under the main OS). That way you could have access to and use BOTH applications at the same time (the PC version and the iPad version), all from the same desktop. The best of both worlds. There's always a way to skin a cat.

I believe the Apple (or whoever developed it) development environment for iPad/iPhone apps allows you to do that (launch apps from within the development environment). I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I know the Google Android development environment allows you to do that.

This is all cool stuff. Thanks to all for the great info, and have a good weekend.

Older Fart

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,961 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

The OBVIOUS solution is to install iOS as a virtual instance (a la VMware or whatever) under Win7 or Win8, or whatever your choice of weapons happens to be, and run the PC version of the software concurrently as a separate task (under the main OS). That way you could have access to and use BOTH applications at the same time (the PC version and the iPad version), all from the same desktop. The best of both worlds. There's always a way to skin a cat.

I believe the Apple (or whoever developed it) development environment for iPad/iPhone apps allows you to do that (launch apps from within the development environment). I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I know the Google Android development environment allows you to do that.

This is all cool stuff. Thanks to all for the great info, and have a good weekend.

Older Fart

To run iOS in a VM you need to download the Xcode development environment from apple. This costs $99 for a basic developer license. Another catch? Xcode runs on a Mac. DirecTV2PC doesn't.

Best bet is to use your iPad. You can also schedule recordings through DirecTV.com once logged into your account. I'm not sure of the delay... But it could also be an option. Once that recording starts, it should be available to you for watch via DirecTV2PC.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#143 OFFLINE   OlderFart

OlderFart

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

You can actually run OSX on a PC, via VMWare. I've done it. OSX is just BSD UNIX (which I've also installed in VMWare), with a customized (by Apple) GUI wrapped around it. I believe it's called Aqua. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to install OSX under VMWare. I have a total of 9 computers in the house, two of which are Macs (a Mac Pro and a Mac Mini). I also have an iPhone and my better half has an iPad 2 and an Android phone.

All the rest are an assortment of laptop and desktop computers (some are servers). We have 3 wireless routers/repeaters set up throughout the house, so any computer, iPad, iPhone or Android phone, can connect from anywhere.

Obviously, the opposite is also true; i.e. you can install VMware Fusion on OSX and then install Windows XP, Vista or Win7 under Fusion (my Mac Mini is running Fusion with WinXP installed). I haven't tried installing Win8 in VMware (yet), but since it's based on Win7, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

The only thing I don't know is what the OSX iPad/iPhone development environment supports, in terms of a wireless adapter (the actually hardware). I guess the question is; will it use whatever built-in or attached wireless adapter you may have plugged into your computer, or does it REQUIRE the actual iPad wireless hardware? Big unknown there.

While it's probably possible, I'm not sure it's worth all the time and effort (probably not). Since the iPad is so small, sitting it next to my keyboard while I'm in Win7 or Win8 (mostly 8 lately) is no big deal either. I do enjoy a good challenge though, so maybe I'll take a stab at it (one of these days).

Anyway, just food for thought. I don't really have any complaints with the basic functionality of DTV2PC. It is what it is and if that's all they want to give us, I can live with it. If they redesign it and add more features, there will be yet another reason to remain a loyal customer (aside from the NFL Sunday Ticket).

Oder Fart

#144 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

I think we're starting to wonder away from the topic for this thread, which is DirecTV2PC "Issues & Discussion"
I'm sure there are other threads more suited for MAC/Apple/I whatever.
If not, please feel free to start one. :)
A.K.A VOS

#145 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Any guesses as to how many DIRECTV2PC users there are out there?
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#146 OFFLINE   braz9

braz9

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

I have been using Directv2PC for a while now on my desktop and it has worked great. I recently purchased a laptop to have around the house. I got an ASUS with an i7 cpu and GTX 560M video card. I installed Directv2PC and it worked great. I took the laptop back and exchanged it for another ASUS that had the HD display and Blu-Ray player. The new laptop still had the same cpu and video card as the first one.

I loaded up Directv2PC on the new laptop and get an error during playback. The following error happens about 10 seconds into the program, "Unknown output connector. Supported connectors are:.....". I also noticed on the play list screen some of the titles were missing and some of the folder icons were pink. When you hover over the titles with the mouse they would reappear.

Here is what I have tried besides reinstalling the program like 5 times. I have turned off all firewalls and virus programs. I have set the desktop background to a plain theme. I have turned off the 3D option on the video card.

I am just at a loss as to how this will not work on this new laptop like it would the old one, especially since they have the same specs.

Thanks in advance.

#147 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

As a test, hook an external monitor to your laptop via an analog cable and see if it works. Perhaps the built in monitor is not HDCP compliant, or some weird internal video card to laptop screen connecter is being used to connect to the HD screen that Directv2pc simply does not work with.

This is about the quirkiest program ever, once you get it working. Don't mess with anything.

#148 OFFLINE   braz9

braz9

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

Ok so I hooked the laptop up to my LCD TV. First via the VGA cable and it actually worked, but the play list was still screwed up with titles disappearing and such, but I was able to watch the show.

I then hooked the laptop up via the HDMI cable. This method also worked but the play list screen was even more screwed up, but again I was able to watch more than 10 secs of the show.

I then tried switching the display back to the laptop (F8) but still with the HDMI cable hooked up. I was not able to watch any show.

So the million dollar question, how do I fix this or can I?

#149 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

I just upgraded 2 7507, what's odd on the DirecTV site if you go to redownload from there it still has the older version and not 7507 which I found odd. Anyway I loveeee how clear DTV2PC is. I wanted to watch Sunday Night Football and was watching in on the NBC feed but the bitrate was sucking tonight (it wasn't my connection) but even at 2.1 megabits which is the highest it will go DTV2PC is just awesome for picture quality. Will crush my HAVA & any webfeed.

Just a hint for some of you, the easiest way to upgrade is just uninstall your old version completely. Then just generate a new key using a temp e-mail address it doesn't take long. I never use my old keys when I upgrade most the time I don't even save them I don't want problems with it activating and it doesn't take long 2 make a new key. Don't really notice anything different with this version over the old.

#150 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

Well, I have to apologize a bit for some of the statements I made. Turns out I was running the version from D*'s website and not this newest version. Big difference on my el-cheapo Acer laptop.

this is much quicker to load and operate, and the video in HD is very solid and good. No pixelation, although I get some rare video stops. But that happens for SD programming also, so I don't know what is going on there.

I still think that the programmers have made more work out of it than it needs to be. And here's why. When I was with Dish just a few months ago, they had an iPad app that would do what this application does, it just did it on an iPad which is certainly way underpowered compared to the min specs of this program. I don't quite understand why they would take that route.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#151 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

I still think that the programmers have made more work out of it than it needs to be. And here's why. When I was with Dish just a few months ago, they had an iPad app that would do what this application does, it just did it on an iPad which is certainly way underpowered compared to the min specs of this program. I don't quite understand why they would take that route.

I am thinking that the DRM protection stuff is the main culprit with many issues.

I saw my son and wife at a baseball game, I thought it would be cool to go back, freeze frame and take screen shot of them and send it to their phones. However, I found out screen shots of direct2pc show up as a green block of nothing.

#152 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

I don't know what they are doing that makes it so difficult to offer the remote access on lower powered units. If it is DRM, then Dish has to deal with it too and they do have a remote app for viewing stuff on their HDDVRs. I used it on my iPad when I was with Dish.

And no, it has nothing to do with Sling either. Not needed for the iPad app.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#153 OFFLINE   blog

blog

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

anyone have any ideas about solving the HDCP error message for a system that 100% supports HDCP and used to work fine for DTV2PC?

ATI Radeon HD 6970 (fairly high end video card)
Dell 3007 Monitor (completely HDCP compliant DVI monitor)

Drivers are updated to the latest version, content plays back for about a second before it cuts out and gives me the error message. Have tried every version of DTV2PC available and tried rolling back to much older video drivers (though that can't be a solution).

This has been broken for months (after working perfectly well for months on this setup) and it is driving me to distraction.

#154 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Do you have another DVI cable?
What does the advisor currently show?
A.K.A VOS

#155 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

I would do a complete uninstall of D2PC, using an advanced unistaller such as Revo Pro or Your Uninstaller.

#156 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

This version has problems with my new laptop which has the weird hybrid switchable graphics where you tell the program which graphics card to use, if i keep it on the intel one i get a green screen but if i turn it on the amd chip i get hdcp compliance issues. just thought you guys would like to know.

#157 OFFLINE   willmw

willmw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

Same here

#158 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

You know what would be great? An updated version that mirrored the new HD GUI. I know this will likely never happen, but it has the potential to look pretty sweet!
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#159 OFFLINE   willmw

willmw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

Hey, I discovered something cool this weekend. I can play non-HD stuff on my laptop onboard intel video ok, but always get green screen and audio for HD stuff. On my discrete video card all I get is the error about not being able to play because of HDCP problems. Well, I just happened to have something recorded from one of my locals in HD and it played just fine over my G wireless without a hiccup or stutter.

#160 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

I am having a weird error on my desktop. I have 2 HD-DVR'S in the house, hr20 and hr 22, I have absolutely no problems seeing the hr20 but I have to reset the hr22 to see it and if I reboot the computer I can't see it anymore. The hr20 is connected over a wireless bridge and the is connected via ethernet directly to the router that the pc is connected to via ethernet. The pc has all the correct ports and firewalls open and the router is setup for streaming. Does anyone know what could cause this? I have tried changing cables for the hr22 and moving what port it connects to on the router, does the second ethernet port work on the hr22, should i try it?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...