Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mounting Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Akronviper

Akronviper

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hey newbie here, I had an install on Monday and the installer took one look at the trees in my back yard and said no way. Which sucked cause I allready had a neighbors tree cut down just for them. So he had the supervisor come out and he found a LOS at the front of my yard (back of side walk and I live accross the street from a school...lol ) So the other 2 trees I had issues with I cut down today.

My question is since I should be able to do a roof mount instead of a pole mount now do I need to contact them and let them know or is the roof kit standard with the dish. I dont want the guy to be able to put it on the roof but have to reschedule again since all he has is a roof mount or should I contact them to have the supervisor do another survey since my install is Friday :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

For peace of mind, I'd call and ask these questions.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hey newbie here, I had an install on Monday and the installer took one look at the trees in my back yard and said no way. Which sucked cause I allready had a neighbors tree cut down just for them. So he had the supervisor come out and he found a LOS at the front of my yard (back of side walk and I live accross the street from a school...lol ) So the other 2 trees I had issues with I cut down today.

My question is since I should be able to do a roof mount instead of a pole mount now do I need to contact them and let them know or is the roof kit standard with the dish. I dont want the guy to be able to put it on the roof but have to reschedule again since all he has is a roof mount or should I contact them to have the supervisor do another survey since my install is Friday :confused:

Don't worry,

Most techs won't install on a roof; too many customers like you! If it won't go on the edge of the building they just punt. Dishes on poles don't cause roof leaks. The installer can charge extra to do it.....Also, easier to service in the future.

Pay for it and enjoy FREE Sunday Ticket.

AND the supervisor has less than a year experience, bet ya......want fries with that installation?

Joe

#4 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

Don't worry,

Most techs won't install on a roof; too many customers like you! If it won't go on the edge of the building they just punt. Dishes on poles don't cause roof leaks. The installer can charge extra to do it.....Also, easier to service in the future.

AND the supervisor has less than a year experience, bet ya......want fries with that installation?

Joe

we install on roofs everyday, If you didnt no jobs will get done. I would just tell tech when he calls you ion the morning of installation day that you had some trees cut down so it could be installed on the roof.

#5 OFFLINE   Akronviper

Akronviper

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

Yeah like 99% of my neighborhood has roof mount, I would assume the siding mount would screw your siding up if its too tight unless the cut out for a mounting block. I would prefer a roof mount just to keep the kiddies walking by from not re-aligning my dish every time school gets out.....lol

#6 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

Don't worry,

Joe

Not anymore.

Akronviper, Most technicians (assuming that all components are available to them) carry all of the necessary mounts that they need in their area, including roof masts and pole mounts. That shouldn't be a problem.

BTW :welcome_s to DBSTalk.com!
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#7 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

Across the street from a school. I'd say you need a roof mount for sure. Can you imagine the reception problems with students messing with the dish? Not to mention damage or graffiti?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#8 OFFLINE   Akronviper

Akronviper

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

Yeah that was my thoughts...lol But I want Time Warner gone so bad I will do just about anything. I have been thinking about ways to hide the dish out there but now that they have a nice view of S.W I'm definately rooting for the roof mount :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Not anymore.

Akronviper, Most technicians (assuming that all components are available to them) carry all of the necessary mounts that they need in their area, including roof masts and pole mounts. That shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah that was my thoughts...lol But I want Time Warner gone so bad I will do just about anything. I have been thinking about ways to hide the dish out there but now that they have a nice view of S.W I'm definately rooting for the roof mount :lol:

GUYS,

THE DEAL IS POSSIBLE,

My thoughts were..........."..I don't have a ladder on my van yet because I
am not yet certified to climb."
" We charge for anything that requires we get off
the ladder. We have to call in for permission."
"IF we get off the ladder we need a helper on the
ground."
"OUR insurance doesn't cover getting off the
ladder to work. What if I fall through?"

My conclusion is that anyone who was doing this work left as the money departed. Those remaining are working for spit and will not expose themselves to any liability for spit. Also, they don't know what they are doing but do know they are not being paid enough even to not do it.

Can't spell liability or risk vs benefit.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 03 August 2011 - 10:15 PM.
typo

#10 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Not anymore.

I still ads for $55/$15.

If their shirt is tucked in and their fly is up they are doing their best.

Phone work is beyond their capability & they need two people to read the assembly instructions for the dishes. Cat 5 is a pet!

Joe

#11 OFFLINE   Akronviper

Akronviper

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

haha Cat 5 is a pet.....lol

Yeah just from experience were not dealing with the cream of the crop, but there are some good guys out there. Just sucks that their hands are tied on the amount of work they can do with out losing money. You would think with the amount of money they charge you they would bend over back wards to get stuff in......

#12 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

haha Cat 5 is a pet.....lol

Yeah just from experience were not dealing with the cream of the crop, but there are some good guys out there. Just sucks that their hands are tied on the amount of work they can do with out losing money. You would think with the amount of money they charge you they would bend over back wards to get stuff in......

I think Directv wants to provide competent installations and pay enough to get it done.

What happens is, in my opinion, a problem of logistics. The first subcontractor, their almost in-house Home Service Provider (HSP), takes a slice for routing, warehouse services and processing the paperwork with a profit. Then the second subcontractor augments the service of the first subcontractor while finding techs to actually do the work.

By the time the guy with the tools puts his aluminum step ladder in his beat up pick up most of the money is gone. When he discovers what his costs are and compares it to the money offered he quits. Many times that second subcontractor either invents back charges or just runs off with the money.
Then the process starts over.

In many areas Directv is attempting to do the installations with their own employees. They have a first rate technical staff presenting superior training materials. It could get better.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 04 August 2011 - 11:13 AM.
typo

spam firewall