Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

using an external hard drive with ps3...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sticketfan

sticketfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

i have an opening day ps3 60gb and now am running into a problem of no space on the hard drive. if i hook up a usb external hard drive what happens to the info on the built in hard drive? just wondering cuz with directv receivers everything goes to the external hard drive. thanks for any info..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

i have an opening day ps3 60gb and now am running into a problem of no space on the hard drive. if i hook up a usb external hard drive what happens to the info on the built in hard drive? just wondering cuz with directv receivers everything goes to the external hard drive. thanks for any info..

its so easy to swap out the internal drive in your ps3, I highly recommend it. back up your current drive, install the new drive and do the restore, works fantastic. I just recently replaced my 80G with a 320G drive.

#3 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

I too have an original PS3 80gb. Can anyone advise me with what hard drive to install? I am at a loss as to what brand etc. to use.

Thank you in advance.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Digging up an 18 month old thread....google is your friend

http://www.squidoo.c...-drives-for-ps3

I used a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue drive at the time about 2 years ago

Here's a whole slew of drives you can use:

http://www.newegg.co...me=SATA 3.0Gb/s

The most basic requirements are it has to be a 2.5" laptop drive, SATA II model....many still prefer 5400rpm drives, now pick your make and model....

#5 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thank you very much. All we could find was inconsistent opinions.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

spam firewall