Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stupid question - why is my HD DVR making noise when I push Select

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

I'm sure there is some obvious reason for it but I just got an HD DVR last week and now when I press Select to tune to a specific channel it gives me the 'dunn' type of sound. Its not a beep, but the deeper pitch feedback. I've never had this on any of my other receivers.

I could just reset the receiver but I'm recording something.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

Menu > Parental, Fav's & Setup > System Setup > Audio > Sound effects
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

Thanks, I figured it was a dumb question.

The weird thing is that I've been using it since last Saturday and it wasn't happening. Then I used it tonight and it started. Threw me off as to why it would start now.

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

It only makes that sound if you push a button out of context, sort of like Windows makes a little sound for each keystroke if you are trying to type but have not yet clicked in a field that accepts keyboard input. Play back a show and press FF 3 times, no sound. Press it a 4th time and it is trying to tell you that there are only 3 FF speeds, by making that sound. Its one of many legacy Tivo ripoffs, err... (ahem!) tributes.

It's being polite rather than yelling at you that you can't do that. Maybe they should change the sound to the sound of someone clearing their throat.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall