Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Signal that cycles from 90 to zero

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JackAlan

JackAlan

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this site and would like some help with my Sat installation. Just moved and setup my DTV system. I brought my receiver but bought & installed a new oval DTV HD dish & mount. I have a great strong signal that cycles from 90's to 0 to 90's about every 5-8 seconds. Really good image, then the searching message. Totally clear line of sight to horizon, not tree one!!! I have taken my receiver to a friends with DTV and it works great there and tried his receiver on my system with same results. Do the LMB's cause this kind of issue? Also, no switches just dish to receiver for RG-6 run and really solid compression fittings on ends too.

Any suggestions? Just a standard DTV HD receiver with the balun.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Jack

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

Exactly what dish do you have? How many cables are coming from the LNB?
What are the signal strengths for each transponder on each satellite?
What model receiver do you have?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:40 AM

This sounds like a poor connection somewhere. Check all connectors to assure there is sufficient length of the exposed center conductor, the shield is firmly attached and there are no stray 'whiskers' of shield that are touching the center conductor.

#4 OFFLINE   TwoPhases

TwoPhases

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

Might be the LNB. It's starting to fail perhaps.

#5 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

What model of HD dish o you but? There are a couple of three out there. If you do not have the reciever set up for the correct dish them you are fighting a losing battle.

#6 OFFLINE   wiz561

wiz561

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

I had a very similar problem to you. I have a SWiM setup and about a week after the install, one of the two TV's signal's went from mid 90's to zero. It would do this randomly, and sometimes it was fine, but most of the time, it would flip-flop. You can search for my name on here and find my posting about it.

I tried swapping receivers, and same problems. Replaced the cable from the LNB's to the ground block to the SWiM splitter, same problem. I finally got a really long coax cable and ran it from my upstairs down to my basement where the splitter is. After a few days and zero problems, I attributed it to a split in the coax cable somewhere.

The original coax in the house was ran by the builder. The cablers were a little goofy and did a crappy job, IMHO. They mostly used push on connectors, and who knows if there was a split or kink somewhere. I got them to come back, tested it, and said things were fine. I gave up and finally re-ran the coax and haven't had a problem since.

If I were to suggest something, I would suggest connecting new cable from the LNB to the receiver, just for testing purposes. If it works fine, then run it through the grounding block and you know it's the cable.

hope that helps.

spam firewall