Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast suing DirecTV over Sunday Ticket advertising.

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

Wait a minute... Comcra... er, Comcast is sticking UP for the consumer?

:lol: :sure: :D ;) :grin: :rolleyes: !rolling :rolling: :icon_stup :rotfl: :slowgrin: :icon_lame:shrug: :new_Eyecr !Devil_lol :uglyhamme:icon_lol::bang

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,533 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

Never mind. You refuse to communicate in a clear manner.

Not familiar with bjlc, eh?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#53 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 37,031 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

You all know the song I'm about to sing... please discuss the topic, not the thread starter. Let's all play nice.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#54 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

I live in a small town with one cable carrier but i have yet to see a cable co compete with either sat provider. The only reason I would go with cable is if I was in an area that I could not get a sat signal or it rained so much it was not worth it. Other then that I am not a fan of 1/3 of the channels for the same price Im paying now. Not to mention way over the top DVR fee's and crappy recording space as well as small HD channel count. Just not for me. That being said we done have U-Verse available here or Verizon. Maybe my opinion would be different if we had better options but I doubt it.

Competition is good. The mom-and-pop cable co. my parents had when I was a kid sucked big-time compared to other smaller mom-and-pops in the state and even bigboy Dimension Cable (before it became Cox). It was a godsend when D* came on the scene. Until I got D* in 1997 I was envious of everyone else in the state who had Cox Cable. Now with satellite I wasn't dealing with all the problems from a cable company still working with equipment from the 1970's and what I got for channels was worth the price. As long as the checks came in the mail the owner had no incentive to update/upgrade the system. The mom-and-pop still exists but competition from satellite and Cox being allowed into the area has forced them to try and compete with the bigger Cox. At least I know if I ever leave D* again I can go with Cox.

#55 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

You all know the song I'm about to sing... please discuss the topic, not the thread starter. Let's all play nice.

Did I miss something? :confused:
When news breaks...we fix it.

#56 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,887 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Did I miss something? :confused:

Nah. Pretty sure he meant to say 'participants', not the esteemed T.S....:)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#57 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

I find it funny that people jump down the throat of D* when they think something doesn't sound right to them. Do you have ANY idea how much clearer the verbage is this year versus last year? How many people I had to tell you didn't get 5 months of free service when you get the NFL ticket and the Premier together? It says to go to Directv.com or call 1-800-Directv on our radio ad here in NE Ohio, and please let me know when the customer service line changed from 800-531-5000? That number brings you to new customer sales and you can all see what the website says. When someone signs up for Directv there is verbage they are read..want to hear it?

The 2011 NFL Sunday Ticket and NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go will be automatically added to your order at no additional cost. The regular full season retail price of NFL Sunday Ticket is $334.95 and the regular retail price of NFL sunday Ticket To-Go is $49.95.
These services will automatically renew at a special renewal rate, provided Directv still carries the service, unless you call to cancel PRIOR to the start of the next season. These services can not be cancelled, transfered, refunded or credited(in part or in whole) after the season starts.
Blackout restrictions and other conditions may apply to the NFL Sunday ticket games and the actual number of games varies by market due to blackout restrictions.
NFL games broadcast by your local or regional stations may not be available on the NFL sunday ticket channels.
For NFL To Go:
You must subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket to receive NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go.
Only one game may be accessed from any device at any given time.
Please check with your service provider for additional data charges as they may apply.
For a list of system requirements and compatible mobile devices, please go to directv.com/nfl..

Same thing that is on the screens/in the paper ads, albeit shorter so the customer gets the point.
Point out the misleading part please.
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

#58 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,614 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Federal Judge Quickly Denies Comcast Request for TRO against DIRECTV.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- A federal judge in Illinois today denied Comcast's request for a temporary restraining order (TRO) against DIRECTV in an attempt to handicap the company from advertising its best offer of the year, one where new customers receive the popular NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ package at no extra charge for the 2011 season.

"We're pleased the judge recognized Comcast's veiled attempt to limit our ability to compete in the marketplace and denied the TRO," said Jon Gieselman, senior vice president of Marketing and Direct Sales for DIRECTV. "We're happy to go head-to-head with Comcast any day on whose service is superior, so we look forward to competing in the marketplace rather than the courtroom."

DirecTV Press Release HERE

#59 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Not even the least bit surprising. This case had no merit.

#60 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- A federal judge in Illinois today denied Comcast's request for a temporary restraining order (TRO) against DIRECTV in an attempt to handicap the company from advertising its best offer of the year, one where new customers receive the popular NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ package at no extra charge for the 2011 season.

"We're pleased the judge recognized Comcast's veiled attempt to limit our ability to compete in the marketplace and denied the TRO," said Jon Gieselman, senior vice president of Marketing and Direct Sales for DIRECTV. "We're happy to go head-to-head with Comcast any day on whose service is superior, so we look forward to competing in the marketplace rather than the courtroom."

DirecTV Press Release HERE

A judge with common sense....imagine that.....:lol:
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#61 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

From the HD anticipation thread:

D* should counter sue over comcast most live sports claim.

Maybe they should just drop the suit add E! hd, style hd, G4 HD, CSN NW HD, CSS HD, CSN Philly HD, CSN Philly + HD/ TCN HD + any other NBC HD channel and be done with it.

Hmmm.......I could see C* telling D*, "we'll drop the suit if you add our remaining HD channels".

Maybe D* could tell C* - "Allow us to have CSN Philly once and for all and not only will we pull that advertisement in the Philly market, we'll put the new NBC Sports Network adjacent to the ESPN channels"

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#62 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

From the HD anticipation thread:

Maybe D* could tell C* - "Allow us to have CSN Philly once and for all and not only will we pull that advertisement in the Philly market, we'll put the new NBC Sports Network adjacent to the ESPN channels"

Do they want to be in the 200s? Just to be near espn?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#63 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Do they want to be in the 200s? Just to be near espn?

That is NBC's aspiration. Channel 220 is available.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#64 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

That is NBC's aspiration. Channel 220 is available.

Well, some people aspire to low heights.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#65 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

This is genius on theor part. Now they get new customers calling they can explain it to and also existing customers that want ST calling as well to clarify. Gives them a chance to sell ST to people who didnt have it before but are D* customers and best of all they dont have to call existing customers about it. Put out this commercials and let us call them. From their perspective how could it get any better?

So you are saying that this is an intentional bait-and-switch tactic?

:nono2:

#66 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

Man I can't stand comcrap.
I wish they would just go away.
This is so silly and a waste of the courts time.

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

#67 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

So you are saying that this is an intentional bait-and-switch tactic?

:nono2:

Im saying either way they get new and existing customers calling to ask about it and giving DirecTV a chance to sell them ST on some level.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, HR20-700 Owned (Not Active), R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#68 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

Gee what a surprise Comcast hollering foul .The only fowl is the odor from them and their inferior service and equipment.Yes it would be nice if all this translate into us long suffering Philadelphia area fans do finally get CSN Phila. or what other name it might be in the future.Seems Comcast is like the old Earl Schibe paint over your problems or just rebrand and no substance to it.

#69 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Judge threw out Comcast's request for D* to cease advertising
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#70 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

Judge threw out Comcast's request for D* to cease advertising

Don't they sanction lawyers for anything anymore?
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#71 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,257 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:04 AM

When I was a boy I was a caddy. Most of the golf'ers were doctors and lawyers. I learned from the lawyers that judges and lawyers are "birds of a feather and flock together" as the saying goes. They may seem adversarial inside the courtroom but are buddy/buddy outside the courtroom.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#72 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

That is a very slippery slope. A lawyer's job is to advocate for their client, not play judge. While this was a stupid lawsuit, it wasn't an egregiously frivolous one. Nobody should be sanctioned.

#73 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

Agreed.

And the lawsuit needed to be laughed out of court, not just thrown out.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#74 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

The judge just took Comcast's suit and SHUT IT DOWN.

Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
C41-400
XBoxOne
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200

#75 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

Having read your post where it auto renews unless cancelled ahead of time. I'd have to tell the person I was talking to

"Thanks for your time, However I will not be signing up at this time due to the Auto Renew you just mentioned. I may call back when this offer is over or I may not."

That would be because I am not organized enough to cancel prior. Thus I consider such methods a bit of a scam. YMMMV

To me this offer is the same as "Free" offers that always convert to "pay me" unless cancelled in time. That sort of offer always goes into the bin after being shredded.

I find it funny that people jump down the throat of D* when they think something doesn't sound right to them. Do you have ANY idea how much clearer the verbage is this year versus last year? How many people I had to tell you didn't get 5 months of free service when you get the NFL ticket and the Premier together? It says to go to Directv.com or call 1-800-Directv on our radio ad here in NE Ohio, and please let me know when the customer service line changed from 800-531-5000? That number brings you to new customer sales and you can all see what the website says. When someone signs up for Directv there is verbage they are read..want to hear it?

The 2011 NFL Sunday Ticket and NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go will be automatically added to your order at no additional cost. The regular full season retail price of NFL Sunday Ticket is $334.95 and the regular retail price of NFL sunday Ticket To-Go is $49.95.
These services will automatically renew at a special renewal rate, provided Directv still carries the service, unless you call to cancel PRIOR to the start of the next season. These services can not be cancelled, transfered, refunded or credited(in part or in whole) after the season starts.
Blackout restrictions and other conditions may apply to the NFL Sunday ticket games and the actual number of games varies by market due to blackout restrictions.
NFL games broadcast by your local or regional stations may not be available on the NFL sunday ticket channels.
For NFL To Go:
You must subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket to receive NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go.
Only one game may be accessed from any device at any given time.
Please check with your service provider for additional data charges as they may apply.
For a list of system requirements and compatible mobile devices, please go to directv.com/nfl..

Same thing that is on the screens/in the paper ads, albeit shorter so the customer gets the point.
Point out the misleading part please.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...