Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

I bought an AU9 dish from a garage sale. It was on the house when the couple bought it and they took it down.

Can anyone tell me if this is an HD dish?
Will it receive the SD signals on Sat 101? (I'm an SD subscriber right now.
How would I connect this to a DTV 8 Channel SWM?
There are four cables, two black & two white coming out of the satellite and four inputs on the SWM but how do I know which goes where?

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1413.JPG
  • 100_1415.JPG

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

Yes, it is an HD dish. It will receive 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119 with the LNB pictured
Any 4 of the wires (they are all the same) can hook to any of the 4 main inputs of the SWM8.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

yes
yes
with four coax between it and the SWM8. These aren't marked because there is a switch which makes "order" not needed.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

Here's a link to the installation manual: http://manuals.solid...tion_Manual.pdf.

#5 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

Yes, it is an HD dish. It will receive 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119 with the LNB pictured
Any 4 of the wires (they are all the same) can hook to any of the 4 main inputs of the SWM8.

yes
yes
with four coax between it and the SWM8. These aren't marked because there is a switch which makes "order" not needed.

Here's a link to the installation manual: http://manuals.solid...tion_Manual.pdf.

Thank you all!!:D

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

While the AU-9 will work, even though it has a larger reflector than the SlimLine, you might not get as good of a signal level or may not have as good of a rain fade margin even when fully peaked and dithered. The sensitivity and gain are a bit improved on the SlimLine (smaller but hotter). That larger reflector means a larger wind load, too, so you might want to the add wind braces.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

While the AU-9 will work, even though it has a larger reflector than the SlimLine

I believe you are thinking of the AT9. Im pretty sure the AU9 is a slimline.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

I believe you are thinking of the AT9. Im pretty sure the AU9 is a slimline.

The dish itself says "Slimline" on it. (See picture at the top.)

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

I stand corrected (orthopedic shoes). But then that is good news; I have the earliest Slimline as well as the earliest AT, and I thought all Slimlines began with SL. Live and learn.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

I stand corrected (orthopedic shoes). But then that is good news; I have the earliest Slimline as well as the earliest AT, and I thought all Slimlines began with SL. Live and learn.

I think the "SL" refers to the LNB for them, while the dish assembly is AT or AU "9".
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall