Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Logitech Revue & HR24-500

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

Was wondering if anyone had experience with this combo. Since the recent price drop, I'm interested but kinda concerned about still being able to use the HR remote along with the Revue keyboard. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
Tks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

I don't have an HR24 but I do have an HR20-700 and it shouldn't be any difference. You can use your remote along with the Revue keyboard. I actually have a Harmony 700 remote and I still use it to turn on all my equipment and if I just want to watch tv I'll use it. If I want to use the Revue I just pick up the keyboard and start using it. I can also use the keyboard to change channels, bring up the guide, search, menu, info, play list etc on the DVR. The keyboard does not prevent you in any way from using your remote with your dvr.
I can also use my harmony remote to control the Revue instead of using the keyboard if I wanted to but I see no need in doing that.
If you have an Android phone,iphone or ipad you can also download the Harmony remote app and control the Revue with your phone. It works rather well but since my Android phone has such a small screen I don't like to use it, my wife's ipad2 however is kinda cool to use with it.

One thing to remember though is that the Revue is RF but it sends out commands to your DVR and Receiver in IR commands so if you are using RF to control your DVR you will have to switch it to IR.

#3 OFFLINE   djousma

djousma

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:38 AM

I have this combination, and it works very nicely. I mostly use my revue to watch Netflix, and stream sports programming on ESPN3.com. ESPN3.com carries most all of the college sports for free that DTV charges extra for. Not HD quality, but definitely good enough.

Dave

Setup

• Slimline Dish connected to SWM-16
  • Whole home DVR with DECA
  • HR44-500 connected via HDMI to 52" Sharp Aquos LC52D62U
  • HR24-500 connected via HDMI to 42" LG LCD
  • HR20-700 connected via HDMI to 32" Panasonic TC-L32X1
  • Apple Airport Extreme
  • 30/5 Charter Cable

#4 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

Tks both. Answered all of my questions. Tks again.

#5 OFFLINE   sp44

sp44

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

I have this combination, and it works very nicely. I mostly use my revue to watch Netflix, and stream sports programming on ESPN3.com. ESPN3.com carries most all of the college sports for free that DTV charges extra for. Not HD quality, but definitely good enough.

Dave

Do you have it connected to a audio receiver? If so, does it get 5.1 out from the Revue? I can't get 5.1 out of either. Without the Revue, no problem.
(1) HR20-700 (Living Room) HDMI to Samsung HPT-5054 50" Plasma
(1) HR20-700 (Basement) HDMI to Epson Powerlite 400 w/106" Screen
(1) HR21-100-so slow!(Bedroom) HDMI to Olevia 332H 32" LCD

#6 OFFLINE   ozonedan

ozonedan

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:50 AM

Do you have it connected to a audio receiver? If so, does it get 5.1 out from the Revue? I can't get 5.1 out of either. Without the Revue, no problem.

Apparently, the Revue will not output 5.1 using hdmi as is reported in the Revue forum at Logitech. The work around, which I am using, is to connect a digital optical cable between your Revue and receiver. This works fine. There is supposed to be some big new software update in September, or later, called Honeycomb. Hopefully, this will correct the hdmi issue.
If it won't fit force it.
If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

You can indeed get 5.1 out of the Revue via HDMi if the source coming in is 5.1 The problem is the Revue always outputs a 5.1 PCM signal which is bad when a 2 channel signal is coming in because then your receiver thinks the Revue already decoded the signal (which it has) and is outputting 5.1 channels of sound but only the front 2 speakers output sound while the other speakers remain silent. With your audio receiver thinking it is getting 5.1 channels of sound it can't use Dolby Surround decoding on this 2 channel audio signal.
If you use the optical cable you don't run into this problem if you set it to output bitstream so your audio receiver can do all the decoding.

Logitech just needs to make the Revue only output the audio channels it is receiving (if 5.1 comes in then output 5.1, if 2 channel sound is coming in then output only 2 channel sound)

#8 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

Does the Revue find the recorded shows(PlayList) on the DVR? Are the Revue menus different from the DVR menus or are you simply pulling up the DVR menus and functions with the Revue keyboard?

Perhaps confusing questions but just trying to understand what the Revue will do for me.....

#9 OFFLINE   djousma

djousma

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

Does the Revue find the recorded shows(PlayList) on the DVR? Are the Revue menus different from the DVR menus or are you simply pulling up the DVR menus and functions with the Revue keyboard?

Perhaps confusing questions but just trying to understand what the Revue will do for me.....

You are pulling up the DVR menu's with the Revue Keyboard. For directv content Revue doesnt buy you alot. Its a real nice add-on however for netflix, and streaming other video via internet(think ESPN3.COM, if you qualify).

Setup

• Slimline Dish connected to SWM-16
  • Whole home DVR with DECA
  • HR44-500 connected via HDMI to 52" Sharp Aquos LC52D62U
  • HR24-500 connected via HDMI to 42" LG LCD
  • HR20-700 connected via HDMI to 32" Panasonic TC-L32X1
  • Apple Airport Extreme
  • 30/5 Charter Cable

#10 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

You are pulling up the DVR menu's with the Revue Keyboard. For directv content Revue doesnt buy you alot. Its a real nice add-on however for netflix, and streaming other video via internet(think ESPN3.COM, if you qualify).

OK Thanks.... I would like to see ESPN3, but Qwest my DSL provider does not offer it.

#11 OFFLINE   Bearxor

Bearxor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

Returned my Revue today...

Boxee Box was a much better (although double the price) investment.

Neat idea and maybe Honeycomb will make it a lot more functional, but pretty worthless in it's current state.

#12 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

I've been considering the Revue since it came out. I'm less interested in using the tv-DVR integration or the apps, but I'd appreciate comments from owners on:

Using the web browser.

-can it go instantly into browser mode or is there a start-up lag time?
-if I connect my Cat5, is the browser as fast as a browser on a pc in the house?
-does it work on streaming sites like Justin.tv or ESPN3?

Using the Media Share.

-My video files currently reside on my Win 7 PC and I use WMP to share them. Would I be able to move my video files to a USB HD that is connected to my Win 7 PC, then use Revue as a client?

-Has anyone run into problems with missing codecs and file formats not recognized? I generally like to stream 720 or 1080p/24 formats as mkv files.

-Does Revue find your media as soon as its on the server? Or have you found you need to re-boot.

-If my file has 5.1, and my hook-up has HDMI to my Pioneer AVR (which decodes 5.1) and then to my panel's HDMI in, will I run into those same audio problems mentioned above? Would I still have to use an optical (I want to avoid optical if possible).

-I suppose DLNA is a work when streaming, do you have to dig into a series of folders to access your media? (eg Video, Folders, My Video Folder, etc...)

Lastly, does anyone have a 2011 Samsung SmartTV? If so, how would you compare the media streaming? Does Cinema Smooth activate when its eligible to? If you have an 8000 series, how would you compare the browser?

Wow. I have so many questions :)

#13 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

When hooking this up, to access DirectvCinema, do both the DVR AND the Revue need to have an internet connection or does simply having the Revue connected suffice?

#14 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

Both need hooked up to the internet. When you are watching Directv you are using the DVR just as always although you are using the Revue keyboard for the remote (or you can still use the remote you were using before). The DVR uses it's internet connection for Directv Cinema.
The Revue uses it's internet connection for everything esle (browser, Netflix, etc.)

#15 OFFLINE   Bearxor

Bearxor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

I've been considering the Revue since it came out. I'm less interested in using the tv-DVR integration or the apps, but I'd appreciate comments from owners on:

Using the web browser.

-can it go instantly into browser mode or is there a start-up lag time?

The box is always on. It generally has good performance. If you do turn the box off however, by pulling the plug, there is boot time.

-if I connect my Cat5, is the browser as fast as a browser on a pc in the house?

No, the browser has pretty poor performance.

-does it work on streaming sites like Justin.tv or ESPN3?

Yes, the web browser has Flash.

Using the Media Share.

-My video files currently reside on my Win 7 PC and I use WMP to share them. Would I be able to move my video files to a USB HD that is connected to my Win 7 PC, then use Revue as a client?

If you use WMP's sharing, the Revue will find them over the network.

-Has anyone run into problems with missing codecs and file formats not recognized? I generally like to stream 720 or 1080p/24 formats as mkv files.

Stop reading here and start looking at a Boxee Box.

-Does Revue find your media as soon as its on the server? Or have you found you need to re-boot.

It scans every so often, there is a refresh option.

-If my file has 5.1, and my hook-up has HDMI to my Pioneer AVR (which decodes 5.1) and then to my panel's HDMI in, will I run into those same audio problems mentioned above? Would I still have to use an optical (I want to avoid optical if possible).

I have heard there is some weirdness with audio when it passes through the GTV box. I didn't do extensive testing.

-I suppose DLNA is a work when streaming, do you have to dig into a series of folders to access your media? (eg Video, Folders, My Video Folder, etc...)

Yes.

Lastly, does anyone have a 2011 Samsung SmartTV? If so, how would you compare the media streaming? Does Cinema Smooth activate when its eligible to? If you have an 8000 series, how would you compare the browser?

Wow. I have so many questions :)

Returned my Revue for a Boxee box. Double the price but worth every penny. Maybe HC will make GTV awesome, but from what I've seen of the Honeycomb previews, not bloody likely.

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

Stop reading here and start looking at a Boxee Box.

I was trying to find a good media server myself. Must do all my network files (mpeg1,2,4), mp3/flac, and DVD's... Online Pandora and Amazon Instant Video...

But I was told the Boxee Box wont allow me to stream hulu using my Playon subscription. Is that true, or will PlayOn stream Hulu to it?
How is the music streaming? Can you create playlists as you go?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#17 OFFLINE   Bearxor

Bearxor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

No Amazon support. I've never used play on, so can't verify but just kind of quickly going through the boxee forums, it seems like playon works. People seem to be using it while waiting for Hulu+. Music support is bare minimum. There's Pandora if you want it and a couple of other streaming choices but its not the box for music. I don't even know if it supports playlists at all, actually.

But, if you want to play high bitrate mkv's without setting a computer up, this is as good as it gets it seems.

#18 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

Bearxor, thanks for the good advice, esp the "stop reading here". It sounds like I'm better off with my current Samsung SmartTV and its browser and media player. I just thought for $99, I'd give it a shot, but it sounds like a step down from my current setup.

I actually like my Samsung's media player, but it has a few limitations with its DLNA GUI and I have to change the name of some file extensions (.mkv to .avi). It also takes about 8 seconds when I want to move into the browser and even after that its kind of slow and cumbersome.

A little off topic, but the best TV browser I think is still the Wii browser from like 2006! It only lacks some RAM and graphics.

#19 OFFLINE   Bearxor

Bearxor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

Bearxor, thanks for the good advice, esp the "stop reading here". It sounds like I'm better off with my current Samsung SmartTV and its browser and media player. I just thought for $99, I'd give it a shot, but it sounds like a step down from my current setup.

I actually like my Samsung's media player, but it has a few limitations with its DLNA GUI and I have to change the name of some file extensions (.mkv to .avi). It also takes about 8 seconds when I want to move into the browser and even after that its kind of slow and cumbersome.

A little off topic, but the best TV browser I think is still the Wii browser from like 2006! It only lacks some RAM and graphics.

Yeah, I went through a Revue, Roku2 and ATV2 before finally settling on the Boxee Box, all in an effort to get the computer out of the living room.

The Revue was hard to give up. Its a great idea, but the execution just isn't there yet.

#20 OFFLINE   donatom3

donatom3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

I'm using the latest 3.1 debug version as of yesterday. It fixes a lot of the issues people have complained of in here, namely web browsing performance. I would suggest the average person wait till it's official which should be very soon looking at this latest build. This build is newer than the 3.1 beta from back in august and includes netflix.

I can't post the URL since I'm new but over at gtvhacker in the revue section there is a thread titled "Honeycomb 3.1 UserDebug Leaked!"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...