Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Persuit of perfection...Allignment story with most likely stupid question.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

Everyone here is welcome in Texas. After all, it is the center of the universe. And we could definitely use the water right now. :D

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have begun our decent into Texas. Please follow the instructions of our crew and return your seats to an upright position and push your trays back to their original position. I would like to thank you for flying with us today..........we will be landing shortly............as soon as the Texas Air Force clears the field.............we are going to go around one time....they are still in the pattern...................what say we pass out some free airline bottles and just fly on over to N'Orleans where it rains and we can get some blackened fish?......If there are no objections I'll raise the wheels & flaps..........anybody care?..................Oh all right.........we will be landing in Dallas in three minutes"

Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

Already there! :)

We are getting some storms from what was Tropical Storm Emily trying to regenerate to the east of us.

I would love a bigger dish solution though!

Nah ...

Don't waste your effort or money. Rain fades are deep chasms in signal strength drop and unless you have something like the big 9, 11, etc. meter monster dishes used at the uplink stations, there isn't much you can do about rain fade by increasing dish size.

You stand a better chance combating Rain fade by looking to eliminate any unnecessary splitter losses on your installation as VOS advises.

#23 OFFLINE   liltalkm

liltalkm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

Nah ...

Don't waste your effort or money. Rain fades are deep chasms in signal strength drop and unless you have something like the big 9, 11, etc. meter monster dishes used at the uplink stations, there isn't much you can do about rain fade by increasing dish size.

You stand a better chance combating Rain fade by looking to eliminate any unnecessary splitter losses on your installation as VOS advises.

Thanks guys.

DirecTV did the SWM install and I have not been in the attic to look at the work. I will go up and inspect it soon.

I am driving 13 tuners throuh 5 HR24's, 1 HR20 and 1 H25 so I am very curious as to how they split it out.

Edited by liltalkm, 07 August 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thanks guys.

DirecTV did the SWM install and I have not been in the attic to look at the work. I will go up and inspect it soon.

I am driving 13 tuners throuh 5 HR24's, 1 HR20 and 1 H25 so I am very curious as to how they split it out.

Here is something you can do that will help your rig.

1. If the installer didn't mark each line........you can identify each line......disconnect them one at a time and see which set has no signal or use a toner.

2.If the installer didn't mount the splitters on a panel in a logical pattern.......mount the splitter (s) in a logical pattern. My fav is splitters (or multiswitches) on one side of the panel and service loops with identification on the other. Mark the panel with the same line identification.

3. If the installer did not mount your rig where it is lighted.........rig a light.

4. Know that people have died in FL attics doing this work...they get that hot.

Thirteen lines can be spaghetti. You can get away with a little ding in the tuning but just one loose fitting will drive you nuts. Any of the receivers connected to a land line?

Also, you might check the signal levels on all receivers. See which one drops out first in storms.

Now you got projects to maintain your perfect tuning.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 07 August 2011 - 06:19 PM.
typo

#25 OFFLINE   liltalkm

liltalkm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

Do you have 8-way splitters off the SWiM-16, and do you have unused ports that are terminated?
If you could change to 4-ways, even if you needed to add a 2-way or two, you might get a stronger signal to the receivers.

Ok, just peeked into the attic.

I have two 8 way splitters connected to the SWM16.

4 lines feeding 2 HR24's, 1 HR20 and 1 H25 on one splitter, unused ports are terminated.

4 lines feeding 3 HR24's and Deca on the other splitter with all unused ports terminated on that splitter as well.

Would I be better served with two 4 way splitters, or am I splitting hairs? :)

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Ok, just peeked into the attic.

I have two 8 way splitters connected to the SWM16.

4 lines feeding 2 HR24's, 1 HR20 and 1 H25 on one splitter, unused ports are terminated.

4 lines feeding 3 HR24's and Deca on the other splitter with all unused ports terminated on that splitter as well.

Would I be better served with two 4 way splitters, or am I splitting hairs? :)

Changing from 8-ways to 4-ways, should give you about 4-5 dB more signal [by having less loss].
Since half of your outputs [power] are being wasted into the terminations, this would "simply" mean a more efficient setup.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   liltalkm

liltalkm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

Done.

The two 8 way splitters have been swapped out with two 4 way splitters.

All is working fine, we will see what happens next storm.

Thanks again.

#28 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

Done.

The two 8 way splitters have been swapped out with two 4 way splitters.

All is working fine, we will see what happens next storm.

Thanks again.

You can do "only so much", but this sure won't hurt. ;)
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall