Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Remote will not work with AV receiver

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joannel

joannel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

I have programmed my RC64R for my Kenwood AV receiver. After entering my code, the PWR button does work and my receiver turned off. I then entered 993 and hit Select, but once I put the switch back to Directv, the volume works on the receiver, but I am unable to turn it on or off. Even when I move the switch to AV1, I am unable to turn the receiver on or off. I would like to control the power of the receiver while the switch is set to Directv, but I have to use the separate AV receiver remote. Can anything be done, or am I stuck using two remotes?
HR22/100
HBH-SA (SD receiver)
Denon AVR 1312
LG 42" Plasma TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

Does your Kenwood have separate buttons for On and Off? That has been a problem for these remotes with many brands of receivers.

Many of us have opted for a basic Harmony remote as that will solve this problem plus give you a host of other features.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

Power works, but OP doesn't want to slide the switch. Harmony won't make any difference. OP will still have to move his fingers to operate his devices.

#4 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

Power works, but OP doesn't want to slide the switch. Harmony won't make any difference. OP will still have to move his fingers to operate his devices.

That wasn't necessary. :nono2:

Beyond being remarkably rude, if you reread the OP's post, you'll see the receiver won't power up or down regardless of the switch's position.

It is also not too much to ask for the power button to work with the switch in the DirecTV mode if it is at all possible. That was DirecTV's intention. In this case, it doesn't.

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

This is a Post by Edmund the Remote Master.

The volume never works initially with ANY audio code, reason is the volume won't work at all without a tv code programmed to the tv device. Once there is a tv code, its volume is now in the way, but that can be remedied.

So with your TV Code in, an Audio Code partially works the stereo programmed in, to get the volume:

1. AV1 or AV2
2. Press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT

So you have to Program in a TV Code for the Audio Code to work Successfully when you Switch back to Directv.

Edited by Richierich, 06 August 2011 - 03:00 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

The question is not volume, but the power codes.

#7 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

I can only power my Kenwood on/off by sliding the switch, the volume has always worked fine. I have tried every code available, needless to say it gets left on most of the time:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#8 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

Have yoy PMed EDMUND, the Remote Master???

If anyone can help you it is EDMUND!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Just as I have to move my fingers to type. Let's be polite. Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   poppagene

poppagene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

In order to work use my yamaha receiver, I need to have to program av1 for power (on/off) and av2 for volume.

#11 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Sorry but you can never control the power of the Av receiver in directv device, only the middle PWR key in the av1 or av2 device will control the stereo.
aka Tivoburkee

#12 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

Thanks Edmund, I had forgotten that.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#13 OFFLINE   joannel

joannel

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for everyone's reply. It looks like I'm stuck either sliding to AV1 and using PWR, or using the receiver remote...which I will do. It's easier to me. It's too bad.
HR22/100
HBH-SA (SD receiver)
Denon AVR 1312
LG 42" Plasma TV

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

WHat I do is use the HDMI control that when I hit the power button for the dvr and the tv, the tv triggers the receiver to turn on. Of course this only works with HDMI control enabled devices.

#15 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for everyone's reply. It looks like I'm stuck either sliding to AV1 and using PWR, or using the receiver remote...which I will do. It's easier to me. It's too bad.

That's one of the reasons I use a Harmony remote.

#16 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

...After entering my code, the PWR button does work
... I would like to control the power of the receiver while the switch is set to Directv...

That wasn't necessary. :nono2:

Beyond being remarkably rude, if you reread the OP's post, you'll see the receiver won't power up or down regardless of the switch's position.

It is also not too much to ask for the power button to work with the switch in the DirecTV mode if it is at all possible. That was DirecTV's intention. In this case, it doesn't.

If you reread the OP's post, you'll see that you're wrong on all counts. Besides, it was a joke. And it IS too much to ask. It's always been DirecTV's intention for the PWR button to work the device selected by the slider, NOT to power every device on the remote. The purpose of the ON button is to power the TV and Receiver/DVR only, not auxiliary devices.

Just as I have to move my fingers to type. Let's be polite. Thanks.

Guess my humor (or lack thereof) didn't translate. Didn't mean to hurt any feelings, but I just thought it was a little funny that the OP thought sliding the switch was more effort than picking up the AVR remote.

spam firewall