Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The CW Network in Rochester,NY

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Racerbob

Racerbob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

We are new DirecTV subscribers and so far so good. One thing that I am starting to look into is why we do not get the CW Network .

In this area, CW is carried OTA on channel 13.2. The local ABC affiliate apparently runs the channel. Their signal is on 13.1. In addition, the local ABC affiliate has a 10:00 newscast every night and a two hour morning show/news on the CW channel. When tuning to channel 14 I am told that we are not subscribed to CW.

I called D* yesterday and I was told that any new subscribers (after 9/28/2010) would not be able to access CW, but that they would put in a waiver for me so that they could send me an east coast feed of the channel. Obviously, this would not include the local programming on CW that we used to be able to access on Time Warner cable. The waiver is subject to approval of the local CW affiliates. what are the chances of this waiver being approved and WHY are we not able to get that channel as part of our Choice Extra package ? Is there an ongoing dispute between CW and D* in regard to new subscribers being able to get this channel ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

I think the CW, due to the fact that its not in HD, is carried on the 119 satellite. Do you have an SL3 (one big eye on the satellite) or an SL5 (3 eyes on the satellite)?

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Racerbob

Racerbob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

As far as I know i have the SL5 ? This install was done in June.

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

I think the CW, due to the fact that its not in HD, is carried on the 119 satellite. Do you have an SL3 (one big eye on the satellite) or an SL5 (3 eyes on the satellite)?

Kevin

I live over in Albany and we receive the CW in SD. If you wanted to, for the time being, hook up the TWC line directly to the TV and receive it like that for free. It's just like using an antenna but with a far better signal strength.

Kevin
Kevin

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Racerbob

Racerbob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

The CW is carried ota on 13.2 here in Rochester area. I am trying to get to the bottom of why DirecTV does not have that channel here in their line up and why a waiver is needed (that will probably be turned down ? ) so that we can get the CW from another city. .

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

The CW is carried ota on 13.2 here in Rochester area. I am trying to get to the bottom of why DirecTV does not have that channel here in their line up and why a waiver is needed (that will probably be turned down ? ) so that we can get the CW from another city. .

That is odd. Do any of your friends or neighbors in the area have DirecTV? I wonder if they have to go through the same thing.

Kevin
Kevin

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

Here in Binghamton we get The CW OTA on 12-2 in SD. DirecTV does carry the channel on 13. Our CBS affiliate runs the channel.

I'd contact DirecTV and the station as to why DirecTV doesn't carry it.

According to the TPN Map The CW in Rochester is on 101 TP 21 and listed as channel 14.
I don't understand the need for you to get a waiver.
So new subscribers can't get the station? What's up with that?

BTW, all of our locals are on 99, which includes The CW and My Network in SD.

Edited by jdspencer, 07 August 2011 - 11:49 AM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   Racerbob

Racerbob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

The local ABC affiliate WHAM-13 carries CW on 13.2 OTA and it is in HD. The local news is on CW in the morning and evenings broadcast in HD also. Rochester's only HD newscast is featured on 13.1-ABC and 13.2-CW. I intend on pursuing this. Seems that something is not quite right here and last night nobody at DirecTV could give me a good answer.

#9 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

The local ABC affiliate WHAM-13 carries CW on 13.2 OTA and it is in HD. The local news is on CW in the morning and evenings broadcast in HD also. Rochester's only HD newscast is featured on 13.1-ABC and 13.2-CW. I intend on pursuing this. Seems that something is not quite right here and last night nobody at DirecTV could give me a good answer.

WHAM 13.2 is not HD over-the-air. An HD signal is delivered to Time Warner Cable through a fiber feed. The simple reason for DirecTV not carrying it is a deal hasn't been made to do so.

#10 OFFLINE   Racerbob

Racerbob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Are you sure that 13.2 is not HD over the air ? I just hooked up a cheapo antenna up to the set right now and it is picking up the 13.2 signal. There is break up as expected. I will take a look-see later on when they broadcast the 10:00 news.

Well also as a follow up...the message on their website says this...

"To get CW-WHAM on satellite, call your local satellite provider."

http://www.13wham.co...cw/default.aspx

Welp...another edit. You are right.. 13.2 does not broadcast in HD. Only on Time Warner cable locally on channel 1016.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHAM-DT2

Edited by Racerbob, 07 August 2011 - 03:21 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

We have the same setup in the Fort Smith, AR DMA. The ABC affiliate has ABC on 40-1, and CW on 40-2. DirecTV broadcasts our local CW as channel 41.

#12 OFFLINE   Racerbob

Racerbob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

We have the same setup in the Fort Smith, AR DMA. The ABC affiliate has ABC on 40-1, and CW on 40-2. DirecTV broadcasts our local CW as channel 41.

Well you see, this is what it boils down to. DirecTV does not have an agreement with the Rochester CW people and I doubt very much that they will grant me a waiver. They (the local CW people) will be jerks about it. I can see it coming.

#13 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

To my knowledge, there arent that many markets where D* carries the CW station if its not on its own channel, instead of being a poor SD sub-channel version of another primary station. Its the same way here in southern MI, CW is a sub-channel to the local ABC affiliate, and the only way to get it is via OTA and its not HD, just crappy SD...they dont even broadcast the Lansing, MI CW in HD.

#14 OFFLINE   Racerbob

Racerbob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

My interest in the local CW operation is mainly for the local news that is offered. Whether it is in HD or SD doesn't matter to me. The ABC affiliate is always at the top of the ratings for their well produced newscast and of course, the same on air talent is used on the CW channel that they manage. I really could care less about CW network content. I am not a big TV viewer when it comes to that type of entertainment programming.

#15 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

My interest in the local CW operation is mainly for the local news that is offered. Whether it is in HD or SD doesn't matter to me. The ABC affiliate is always at the top of the ratings for their well produced newscast and of course, the same on air talent is used on the CW channel that they manage. I really could care less about CW network content. I am not a big TV viewer when it comes to that type of entertainment programming.

So you could use the TWC line connected directly to the tv to receive it for free.
Kevin

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:56 PM

So you could use the TWC line connected directly to the tv to receive it for free.

Can't he use an AM21? D* may not be carrying it, but they probably have guide data for that substation so he can receive it OTA. If he complains enough, maybe he can get one for free.

#17 OFFLINE   Racerbob

Racerbob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

I don't have a TWC line. I have no cable TV hook up in my home. I do have Roadrunner, that is all.

#18 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

I don't have a TWC line. I have no cable TV hook up in my home. I do have Roadrunner, that is all.

If you have a Roadrunner line, then you have a TWC TV line
Kevin

My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

Can't he use an AM21? D* may not be carrying it, but they probably have guide data for that substation so he can receive it OTA. If he complains enough, maybe he can get one for free.

Yes but an AM21 cost money hen e can use the existing TWC line in his house for free, and get it in HD.
Kevin

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

It'll work. TWC doesn't encrypt local QAM channels on the RR line. This is assuming your TV has a QAM tuner.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...