Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Finnaly made the jump to Whole Home

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:40 AM

Wondering what will be work and what will be switched out and questions.

1. 5LNB dish - old side car unit
2. WB68 on the side of the house
3. HR20-100
4. R15

What I have coming

1. Additional HD-DVR
2. R15 swap out
3. Cinema Connectin Kit

So a total of 5 tuners, the R16, HR20-100, new HD-DVR plus the Cinema connect kit so a total of 6 connection.

What I am assuming (bad word)

1. They will switch the WB68 to a SWiM-8
2. pretty sure the swapped unit will be a R16, the line item just states DIRECTTV DVR - MRV Swap
3. the Cinema Connect Kit is listed so that would be the internet connection for the configuration

Now the questions

1. Can the SWiM-8 be mounted outside of the house, or should it be inside, while the current location is somewhat protected by the overhang it is still outside
2. the LNB on the device is the older one, beleive the nickname was the side car - will this be swapped

The concern I have is there is no listing for the SWiM-8 on the order, since there will be more then 4 tuners on the system. Should I call back and talk to the rep again concerning this or is the SWiM-8 a given for the Whole-Home DVR Upgrade offer w/ Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:37 AM

The WB68 will be removed a you state, but you will not get a SWM8. They should swap out your LNB for a SWM-LNB. A single line will be run into the house where it will get split to each receiver and the Broadband DECA. You will only need one cable for the DVRs with this setup.

And as you stated, the R15 should be swapped for a R16, but if you are super lucky you might get a R22.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

The WB68 will be removed a you state, but you will not get a SWM8. They should swap out your LNB for a SWM-LNB. A single line will be run into the house where it will get split to each receiver and the Broadband DECA. You will only need one cable for the DVRs with this setup.

And as you stated, the R15 should be swapped for a R16, but if you are super lucky you might get a R22.

- Merg

The whole dish will need to be swapped, from the AT-9 to the AU-9/slimline with SWiM.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

Like Veryoldschool said, you'll probably get a SWM LNB. An SWS-8 way Splitter will likely be used and basically replaces your WB68.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#5 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,166 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

The R15 is not SWM compatible, so you will probably get an R16 in it's place. The R16 works with SWM, but does NOT support whole-home. In other words, your whole-home installation will be whole-home minus SD location.

I agree, the older AT9 dish will be replaced completely with a Slimline using an SWM LNB.

Also, three DVRs = six tuners (2 per DVR), but you will only have four connections (one per DVR plus the CCK). Those connections will be from a splitter as The Merg indicated.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

Congratulations! It's a great system and I think you'll really like it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

The whole dish will need to be swapped, from the AT-9 to the AU-9/slimline with SWiM.

I hope the mounting bracket is compatible, just paid 10K for a new roof

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

I hope the mounting bracket is compatible, just paid 10K for a new roof

Both use the same 2" mast.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

- Merg

the cable cannot be pulled through the house, this is a multi-floor house,for the current unit on the second floor the cables are run from the location where the current WB68 is mounted under the eve's then through the wall in the room. Would be more interestedd in a HR-24, then will do some unit swaping around, the whole driving force for this is I just bought a LG Passive 3D 55" tv:)

Edited by wingrider01, 08 August 2011 - 08:34 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

the cable cannot be pulled through the house, this is a multi-floor house,for the current unit on the second floor the cables are run from the location where the current WB68 is mounted under the eve's then through the wall in the room. ...

There's no need for the installer to actually "run" any new cables to the receivers when upgrading from legacy to SWiM (unless the present cable(s) are bad of course). With DVRs one of the two existing cables from the former multi-switch are used, or the single cable for STB receivers.

... Would be more interestedd in a HR-24, then will do some unit swaping around, the whole driving force for this is I just bought a LG Passive 3D 55" tv:)

Almost all subscribers new or current would be interested in an HR24 :) , unfortunately unless you buy it yourself, you get what your localities' DIRECTV warehouse has in stock.

Just make sure its not any HR20 model as they are not 3D capable.

#11 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

the cable cannot be pulled through the house, this is a multi-floor house,for the current unit on the second floor the cables are run from the location where the current WB68 is mounted under the eve's then through the wall in the room. Would be more interestedd in a HR-24, then will do some unit swaping around, the whole driving force for this is I just bought a LG Passive 3D 55" tv:)

The existing coax will most likely be re-used. The whole point of SWM is to leverage existing coax and make installations into homes designed for cable easier... Switching to MRV shouldn't drive the technician to re-wire your home.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#12 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

There's no need for the installer to actually "run" any new cables to the receivers when upgrading from legacy to SWiM (unless the present cable(s) are bad of course). With DVRs one of the two existing cables from the former multi-switch are used, or the single cable for STB receivers.

Almost all subscribers new or current would be interested in an HR24 :) , unfortunately unless you buy it yourself, you get what your localities' DIRECTV warehouse has in stock.

Just make sure its not any HR20 model as they are not 3D capable.

actually there is a need, there are new units being added with the order - one additional on the second floor and a new one on the third floor (called back today and negotiated another free HD-DVR), unless the splitter can stay outside in the weather then they will have to do something, the current unit sits on the outside of the house. I already have a owned HR20-100, this will be moved to one of the non-3D televisions.

Up to 8 tuners and the Cinema connect kit which will need a connection, do not have wireless in the house and have no intention of putting it in.

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

I already have a owned HR20-100, this will be moved to one of the non-3D televisions

Make sure you look at the Connect Home Forums for the two diagrams on how to connect the HR20-100. My installers didn't know how to do it; it took two phone calls to the supervisor and he even wasn't sure and he certainly didn't know why it takes two cables.

Here is the one diagram that apparently is the only supported method to connect the HR20-100.
http://www.dbstalk.c...28&d=1273790719

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

It is possible to put the splitter outside where the current multiswitch is, however, it should probably be put in a cable box to protect it from the elements. The tech will run new cables from it to each of the rooms where you have an additional receiver being installed. The tech will go around the outside of the house and in through exterior walls. It might be possible to go into the attic and drop cables to rooms that way, but that would probably be an extra cost.

For the receivers already there, the tech will just use one of the cables currently run. For the CCK, if your router is near one of your current receivers, the tech will just use the now non-used second cable for it. With a SWM-LNB, you can have up to 8 tuners hooked up. The CCK does not count as a tuner.

- Merg

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, didn't even notice what dish was listed when I replied. :D

- Merg

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

the whole driving force for this is I just bought a LG Passive 3D 55" tv:)

Did you let the CSR know that you need a 3D-capable HD DVR? Is it on your order as such?

#17 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

It was installed today, all up and running, tech went above and beyond. He even had a R22 on the truck for some reason. Had a minor glitch with the Whole Home turn up but it was worked out. As I mentioned the tech went above and beyond for the installation, even left his cell phone in case we have problems. He did mention something that rhey are supposed to be phasing out SD DVR's and will only be putting in HD DVRs in the near future.

Now can aynone remond me of what the proceedure is for the 30 second skip / fast forward modification is, cannot remember it for the live of me.

#18 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

It was installed today, all up and running, tech went above and beyond. He even had a R22 on the truck for some reason. Had a minor glitch with the Whole Home turn up but it was worked out. As I mentioned the tech went above and beyond for the installation, even left his cell phone in case we have problems. He did mention something that rhey are supposed to be phasing out SD DVR's and will only be putting in HD DVRs in the near future.

Now can aynone remond me of what the proceedure is for the 30 second skip / fast forward modification is, cannot remember it for the live of me.

Hit Menu, Go to Smart Search and enter 30skip, it won't find any matches, but that's okay just select Done.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#19 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

Hit Menu, Go to Smart Search and enter 30skip, it won't find any matches, but that's okay just select Done.

Helps if I tell it to search:)

Thanks

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,210 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

Both use the same 2" mast.

... but proper installation may require monopoles if they aren't already there.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...