Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Well, That was fun.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

Not a terrible coincidence when a lot of sites int the same data center went down.

That one I don't get. How is that possible? Isn't that part of the point of using a DC? Redundant power and servers?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,165 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:48 AM

For those interested...Here the thread chat on the outage...

http://www.webhostin...d.php?t=1072692

#23 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:53 AM

I don't get anything there, just the board headers, no thread pages or posts. Is it restricted?

#24 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

I don't get anything there, just the board headers, no thread pages or posts. Is it restricted?

Didn't appear to be restricted. A hole lot of people complaining about lack of redundancy.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,270 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

There are a lot of complaints about the blame the customer aspect of this: "If you would've paid for more redundancy your site would not be down." (According to the linked thread, I have no personal knowledge.)

Personally, I don't know why a higher level of redundancy isn't standard. I can understand if it was the difference between choosing a data center with one level of redundancy over a different data center with a different level of redundancy. But to have different servers in the same center set up to a different level of redundancy seems complicated.

The data center where I work doesn't give people the option. Every machine gets the highest level of redundancy possible. (It is a private data center that does not offer services to the public.)

The failure seems to be the one of those things that will "never happen". Saying that in IT is a good way of guaranteeing that will happen. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

A hole lot of people complaining about lack of redundancy.

Posted ImagePosted Image I'm fixing a hole where the Web came in and kept my mind from wandering where it will go-ooo Posted ImagePosted Image
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#27 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

I think that when something like this happens, there's plenty of blame to go around. I will say that for the people who say this will cost them $45-55k for the period they were down, they must be a fairly large enterprise and should have business interruption insurance, as well they should have considered a redundant data center for that amount of volume. That doesn't absolve the data center of blame, they get their fair share too. But you know, I use a hosting service (for my personal stuff) that has had 99% uptime for the last two years. If I actually made money off the thing, I'd probably pay for someone with 99.9999% uptime. I don't, so I don't.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

For those interested...Here the thread chat on the outage...

http://www.webhostin...d.php?t=1072692

I think that when something like this happens, there's plenty of blame to go around. I will say that for the people who say this will cost them $45-55k for the period they were down, they must be a fairly large enterprise and should have business interruption insurance, as well they should have considered a redundant data center for that amount of volume. That doesn't absolve the data center of blame, they get their fair share too. But you know, I use a hosting service (for my personal stuff) that has had 99% uptime for the last two years. If I actually made money off the thing, I'd probably pay for someone with 99.9999% uptime. I don't, so I don't.

I was following the thread about the outage yesterday and I swear some of the posts read just like the ones in the HD Anticipation thread. ;)

#29 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

There are a lot of complaints about the blame the customer aspect of this: "If you would've paid for more redundancy your site would not be down." (According to the linked thread, I have no personal knowledge.)

Personally, I don't know why a higher level of redundancy isn't standard. I can understand if it was the difference between choosing a data center with one level of redundancy over a different data center with a different level of redundancy. But to have different servers in the same center set up to a different level of redundancy seems complicated.

The data center where I work doesn't give people the option. Every machine gets the highest level of redundancy possible. (It is a private data center that does not offer services to the public.)

The failure seems to be the one of those things that will "never happen". Saying that in IT is a good way of guaranteeing that will happen. :)

In my 20+ years of working in the MIS/IT field, I have learned this mantra:

Never say 'never'. For if you do, your life suddenly becomes complicated for a minimum of 4 hours. :D
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#30 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

I'm not sure which datacenter this was. All I was getting from the WhoIs lookups was Carrolton, TX. In the past, I've used both The Planet and Savvis with no down time at all to speak of. I see some articles on the web about outages at The Planet, but for whatever reason, they didn't affect my sites. I think I've been on Savvis for 6 or 7 years without a noticeable outage.

#31 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

This happened to me last night too. It was a little past midnight and for some of the threads, some of the last posts were at 4:21 AM. This was on my iPhone.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#32 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,357 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

CMEs raining down upon us.

I was in my garden hoeing potatoes when a CME hit -- my once lilly-white skin darkened three shades. ▒ ▓ █

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#33 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

CMEs raining down upon us.

I was in my garden hoeing potatoes when a CME hit -- my once lilly-white skin darkened three shades. ▒ ▓ █

I'll take a CME over an RGE any day....

And this co-lo outage, if it happened where I work... would be an RGE.

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,270 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

I'll take a CME over an RGE any day....

And this co-lo outage, if it happened where I work... would be an RGE.

CME = Corrective Maintenance Exercise
RGE = Resume Generating Event

???

#35 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hmmm, I thought CME was Coronal Mass Ejection.

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,270 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hmmm, I thought CME was Coronal Mass Ejection.

That would make sense ... although the current CME event had nothing to do with the outage. :confused:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...