Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Sharp LED TV and HR22 - Lip sync issues, need some guidance.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wintrmte

Wintrmte

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

We just recently upgraded our TV to a new 60" Sharp Aquos LED TV and have been having a heck of a time with lip sync issues (audio out of sync with TV).

Our setup is fairly simple, from the HR22 HD-DVR, we are going HDMI to the TV and the optical cable to the stereo receiver.

We use the stereo receiver for all audio and not the TV speakers.

I'm certain the TV is at fault here, but I am not sure how best to go about fixing it.. It's not exactly a DirecTV issue but figured if anyone would know how to fix this, it would be the nice folks on these forums! :)

I did do a search through all the forums for "lip sync" but it returned so many results, I couldn't go through them all.

Anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Thank you!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

I'd think part of the issue is audio going through the av receiver and video going straight to the TV. the best upgrade I made was to get an HDMI receiver, seemed to help my own synching issues and greatly improved my Bluray audio quality.

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Little unclear here, are you using the optical cable between the DirecTV receiver and the AV receiver, or between the TV and the AV receiver? You most likely want to run from the DirecTV receiver to the AV receiver, otherwise you might be losing true DD5.1. Many TVs won't pass that out their optical output when using the HDMI input as the source, instead they downgrade the sound to 2.0.

If you are already going optical between the DirecTV receiver and the AV receiver, then you need to see if your AV receiver has a setting to adjust the timing of the audio. Usually called audio delay or audio sync. If you tell us which model of AV receiver you have we may be able to help more.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   csrrocks2011

csrrocks2011

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

multiple channels or just a certain number???
My opinions are my own and not shared nor equally expressed by directv or any of its affiliates.

#5 OFFLINE   Wintrmte

Wintrmte

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

Little unclear here, are you using the optical cable between the DirecTV receiver and the AV receiver, or between the TV and the AV receiver? You most likely want to run from the DirecTV receiver to the AV receiver, otherwise you might be losing true DD5.1. Many TVs won't pass that out their optical output when using the HDMI input as the source, instead they downgrade the sound to 2.0.

If you are already going optical between the DirecTV receiver and the AV receiver, then you need to see if your AV receiver has a setting to adjust the timing of the audio. Usually called audio delay or audio sync. If you tell us which model of AV receiver you have we may be able to help more.

Optical cable between the AV receiver and DirecTV Receiver.

I'll get the model number when I go downstairs, but don't think it has a delay -- it's kind of old and doesn't even have HDMI input/outputs on it. :(

I think as someone else pointed out, I may need to get a new receiver and pipe the TV and Audio through it..

Curious though, does that degrade sound quality if I do the TV and Audio through the receiver using the HDMI cable?

#6 OFFLINE   Wintrmte

Wintrmte

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

multiple channels or just a certain number???

It's kind of random to be honest. We rented Soul Surfer from the PPV channel and the audio was off the entire movie. It's not all the time though, some shows on HBO are fine, others are not.

Really strange.

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

You may also want to try turning off any frame interpolation stuff that the TV might have and see if that helps (this assumes the audio is ahead of the video).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   csrrocks2011

csrrocks2011

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

It's kind of random to be honest. We rented Soul Surfer from the PPV channel and the audio was off the entire movie. It's not all the time though, some shows on HBO are fine, others are not.

Really strange.

Honestly, I can tell you when you call in, they will escalate to engineers. Normally, it is something with the feed to you that is being miscommunicated. If you get that answer and are not satisfied, hang up, call back and bend the truth a bit, like, the receiver won't turn on....You'll get a new receiver, but it wont guarantee to fix the problem. :) Just trying to save ya some grief on the other end!
My opinions are my own and not shared nor equally expressed by directv or any of its affiliates.

#9 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

If your TV has an audio pass-through, try feeding your receiver from the TV instead of directly from the DirecTV box. This will introduce a delay that may sync things up (or make it worse......) Ultimately, though, the best solution is a more modern receiver with HMDI inputs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

Honestly, I can tell you when you call in, they will escalate to engineers. Normally, it is something with the feed to you that is being miscommunicated. If you get that answer and are not satisfied, hang up, call back and bend the truth a bit, like, the receiver won't turn on....You'll get a new receiver, but it wont guarantee to fix the problem. :) Just trying to save ya some grief on the other end!

What are you saying? Lie to DirecTV to get a new receiver that won't fix a problem with other parts of a set up?
Yes, I see your remarks don't represent, but seriously.... why would you write that?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

Calling DirecTV for a lip sync issue is about as useful as sand in a desert (calling them for any technical problem is an exercise in pure frustration, in my experience). OP - do yourself a favor and avoid calling them, especially about this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#12 OFFLINE   csrrocks2011

csrrocks2011

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

What are you saying? Lie to DirecTV to get a new receiver that won't fix a problem with other parts of a set up?
Yes, I see your remarks don't represent, but seriously.... why would you write that?

I should've definitely put a little more sarcasm in there...It was a sad, sad attempt at humor. Shame on me? I was just kidding. I definitely wouldn't want him to ACTUALLY call in and lie, I figured by now he assumed the issue was the actual set up and some other adjustments needed to be made. I really am smarter than that, just a sad little attempt at woman humor :/ :newbie:

#13 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

I also have a Sharp 60" led connected with optical from an HR24 (and the audio issues that go with it). If I use the tv speakers and the AV, I have to change the audio delay on the AV to match the tv (dvd's are really off!). Most of my Directv lip-synch issues are with the Starz movie channels. Usually I can do a pause or rewind and the lip-sync issues will improve.

:)

#14 OFFLINE   jtudor

jtudor

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

Curious though, does that degrade sound quality if I do the TV and Audio through the receiver using the HDMI cable?

No it will not degrade the sound because you are dealing with digital bits and bytes here, not analog audio.

(2) HR24-500 (originally HR21-700, then HR22-100)
(1) LG 42PC3 Plasma
(1) Bose Lifestyle V-35
(1) HR22-100
(1) LG 32LD350 LCD
(1) LG 32LK450 LCD
WH DVR and SWim.
Great Stuff DTV!

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

Actually, I have a Sharp 60" and run the video to a DVDO switcher/processor, and the audio directly to the A/V receiver with Toslink optical, and even when I put the processor in game mode (passthru, no delays), I have no sync issues. So, I am thinking perhaps you have one of the Sharp's processor funtions activated which may be causing this problem. Since I dont know how many of these settings are available on your Sharp, Ill just list out all my settings on my TV after calibration, and you can try what you like. If it doesnt work, you can always restore the defaults...

Pay special attention to Fine Motion, Active Contrast, and Film Mode as those can affect timing/sync. You can ignore the color tweaking settings, unless you want to try them out.

Picture Mode: User
OPC: Off
Backlight -10
Contrast +32
Brightness -4
Color -8
Tint +6
Sharpness +2

ADVANCED:
CMS Hue
R+5
Y-5
G-1
C 0
B 0
M -10

CMS Saturation

R +6
Y 0
G +2
C 0
B +3
M +15

CMS Value
ALL 0

Color Temp - HIGH - all gains 0
Fine Motion Enhanced - OFF
Active Contrast - Off
Gamma Adjust 0
Film Mode - OFF
Digital Noise Reduction - AUTO
Monochrome - OFF

POWER CONTROL
Power Saving - OFF
No Signal Off -Disable
No Operation Off - Disable

AUDIO
Auto Volume Off
Clear Voice Off

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#16 OFFLINE   captdantman

captdantman

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

I have the same issue. I have a Sony STR-DE898 AV reciever. Can you tell me if I have an audio delay that can fix this? If I try to use the digital output from my Sharp TV to the AV reciever, it downgrades the audio to PCM. If I run the output from my comcast DVR to the Sony AV reciever, then I have the synch issue. Currently I run HDMI from comcast DVR to Sharp TV.

#17 OFFLINE   captdantman

captdantman

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

I have the same issue. I have a Sony STR-DE898 AV reciever. Can you tell me if I have an audio delay that can fix this? If I try to use the digital output from my Sharp TV to the AV reciever, it downgrades the audio to PCM. If I run the output from my comcast DVR to the Sony AV reciever, then I have the synch issue. Currently I run HDMI from comcast DVR to Sharp TV.

I found "AV Synch" in my owners manual. .docs.sony.com/release/STRDE898rev.pdf on page 39. It says useful for large plasma TVs etc. But it also says parameter not valid when using Multi Channel IN or analog direct. Does that mean using the digital out from my TV to the digital IN of my reciever will not work? I was not able to post the URL as it says i am new member to site.

#18 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

We just recently upgraded our TV to a new 60" Sharp Aquos LED TV and have been having a heck of a time with lip sync issues (audio out of sync with TV).

Our setup is fairly simple, from the HR22 HD-DVR, we are going HDMI to the TV and the optical cable to the stereo receiver.

We use the stereo receiver for all audio and not the TV speakers.

I'm certain the TV is at fault here, but I am not sure how best to go about fixing it.. It's not exactly a DirecTV issue but figured if anyone would know how to fix this, it would be the nice folks on these forums! :)

I did do a search through all the forums for "lip sync" but it returned so many results, I couldn't go through them all.

Anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Thank you!!

Do you have the same issue using the tv speakers? They should be working using the HDMI cable to your TV.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#19 OFFLINE   arrowgant

arrowgant

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hi, I just purchased a Sharp 70" TV. I see lip sync issues going through an Onkyo HDMI receiver. I set audio delay to 100 ms - that is the max that this receiver allows. It still did not sync up right for some feeds.

TO eliminate the receiver, I ran a HDMI cable direct from Comcast box to the TV. For some channels I still see the lip sync issue. I did not find any option in the TV for an audio delay.

If I use Netflix App on the TV, lip sync is even worse. I turned off DNR, active contrast everything, and things are better. But then the question I have on my mind is - is it worth for me to spend all this money on a new TV when I cannot even use the new picture technology? I still have time to return/exchange the TV. Wanted to get thoughts from some of you experiences folks before making a call. Any help will be appreciated.

TIA.

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

I'll get the model number when I go downstairs, but don't think it has a delay -- it's kind of old and doesn't even have HDMI input/outputs on it. :(

I think as someone else pointed out, I may need to get a new receiver and pipe the TV and Audio through it..

Most of the AV receivers have a delay of he sound built into them and it is just a matter of finding what they call it and where in the menu setup it is located.
My Yamaha does not have HDMI and I am setup using the optical to it and the video cable is run from the DTV receiver directly to the TV.
I turned on my TV speakers and got an echo. I adjusted the AV delay until they matched and then turned the TV speakers off.

The newer receivers that Have the HDMI input and outputs work very well most of the time and do not degrade the audio. In fact they have more options than the optical cable does. My son's Yamaha has the HDMI and he has used it and used it with the optical cable and says there does not appear to be a difference in the sound quality.

My AV calls the item sound delay and his being newer refers to it as lipsynch.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...