Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, HD Receivers and R22: Fall 2011 National Release Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

Receivers included in this release:
HR20-700 • HR20-100
HR21-100 • HR21-200 • HR21-700 • HR21Pro
HR22-100 • HR23-700
HR24-100 • HR24-200 • HR24-500
R22-200 • R22-100

Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=195705

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible. If your receiver is set up for network issue reporting, please post the key generated by the receiver.

Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

Thanks!

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

Please note that this release may flush your guide cache, and that is normal. Your guide should completely repopulate within 24 hours.

#3 OFFLINE   kryscio23

kryscio23

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

picked up this update at 3:11 a.m. 8/11/11. It too flushed out my guide information but it returned the following afternoon when I checked. So nothing special with this software update?

#4 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Nothing except little bug fixes.

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:51 AM

I will reserve my judgement until the guide repopulates because my DVR is back acting like it's full of maple syrup.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

My hr20-700 got the update on 8/10 night. After 36 hour the receiver is super slow.
10 seconds to pull up the guide
4-5 second for a page down in the guide
uneven response time in the list

After resetting it is working better. We'll see how it does in the next days.

#7 OFFLINE   mikellanes

mikellanes

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

EDIT: Nevermind I see that 04A8 is older version...

I have 04A8 on my HR24-100, whenever I check for software it says "New SW found" and re-downloads the old (current) 04A8, is that normal? Do I just keep trying to get the new one or is it sent out by region?

Thanks so much, This is my first HD-DVR, I came from a few old TiVo's and one DVR+ SD unit that is dead now. Loving it so-far but my wife prefers the TiVo interface and guide, I just love the HD :D

Edited by mikellanes, 15 August 2011 - 08:59 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:13 AM

. . . .
I have 04A8 on my HR24-100, whenever I check for software it says "New SW found" and re-downloads the old (current) 04A8, is that normal? Do I just keep trying to get the new one or is it sent out by region?. . . .

Distribution of a updated NR can take up to three weeks. Believe it only been one week since this started.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

It seems like I'm usually the last to get an update, but I checked this weekend, and my HR20-100 was updated on 8/11. Nice to be first for a change :)

#10 OFFLINE   looter

looter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Wow how many years dies it take to make a screen saver work? Trying not to flame here, but the lack of fixing basic elements of this DVR is stunning. How about retaining 'sort by' after an update?

The screen saver issue has been around for what I would guess is years? Anyone?

End of rant.
Home: (1) HR21-700 w/AM21, (1) HR22-100
Office: (1) H23, R22 Make that R16-300 (never trust DIRECTV when they tell you what receiver you’re getting).
DIRECTV since 1995

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

It seems like I'm usually the last to get an update, but I checked this weekend, and my HR20-100 was updated on 8/11. Nice to be first for a change :)

I never seem to get in the first half of the distribution. And this one doesn't seem to be any different.

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Wow how many years dies it take to make a screen saver work? Trying not to flame here, but the lack of fixing basic elements of this DVR is stunning. How about retaining 'sort by' after an update?

The screen saver issue has been around for what I would guess is years? Anyone?

End of rant.

What screensaver issue are you referring to? And sort by hasn't been retained after a reboot for a long time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:09 AM

I got the update. I have to say my HR21 is very snappy.

#14 OFFLINE   Derwood

Derwood

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

I received the update (0x4d1) overnight on my HR24-500 and awoke to no audio on live or recorded material. Menu reset restored audio.
Derwood

LG 55LW5700
LG 32LK50
DirecTV since 5/2001

#15 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

What screensaver issue are you referring to? And sort by hasn't been retained after a reboot for a long time.

ROTFLOL. You know, the one everyone complains about and the fanboys dismiss. The screen saver kicks in even though you're actively using the DVR. It got worse once they put all that crap (sorry, functionality) in the info bar. Due to a GUI glitch, there are now error messages that can't be cleared, sometimes on the other tuner, and that is a screen saver inducing event for the entire DVR. As I have stated in previous threads, there are workarounds for it, but the easiest one is RBR.

If you want to reproduce it, it's easy. Tune to a channel you don't get. Now tune back to a channel you do get. Note how you either can't navigate to the error message at all, or you can but there is no way to clear it. Now wait 10 minutes. Tada! The screen saver kicks in. This works every time on a receiver. On a DVR, there are some things that happen that delay it, so it can kick in unexpectedly anytime after the 10 minute mark.

And my H24 doesn't even remember what channel I was on before a reset. It turns to the channel I was on when I received one of the software updates a way back. For me, after a reset, it now always tunes to BBCA. So I'm not surprised it can't remember other things after a reset either.

Maybe this update is just to fix the slow remote response issue that's been around for a month now, and a few other rare bugs. I hope they fix the issue I described above too.

#16 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

Received update early this AM. When I turned the TV on, the picture was totally messed up. It looked like it was in zoom mode and 1/2 the picture was off the screen on the right. I started manually changing the resolutions and that cleared it up.
HR24-200

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

ROTFLOL. You know, the one everyone complains about and the fanboys dismiss. The screen saver kicks in even though you're actively using the DVR. It got worse once they put all that crap (sorry, functionality) in the info bar. Due to a GUI glitch, there are now error messages that can't be cleared, sometimes on the other tuner, and that is a screen saver inducing event for the entire DVR. As I have stated in previous threads, there are workarounds for it, but the easiest one is RBR.

If you want to reproduce it, it's easy. Tune to a channel you don't get. Now tune back to a channel you do get. Note how you either can't navigate to the error message at all, or you can but there is no way to clear it. Now wait 10 minutes. Tada! The screen saver kicks in. This works every time on a receiver. On a DVR, there are some things that happen that delay it, so it can kick in unexpectedly anytime after the 10 minute mark.

And my H24 doesn't even remember what channel I was on before a reset. It turns to the channel I was on when I received one of the software updates a way back. For me, after a reset, it now always tunes to BBCA. So I'm not surprised it can't remember other things after a reset either.

Maybe this update is just to fix the slow remote response issue that's been around for a month now, and a few other rare bugs. I hope they fix the issue I described above too.

I'll try recreating the issue when I get home using the steps you provided but, and not to be a jerk or anything, have you ever considered not changing channels to one you don't get?

As for your HR24 remembering things it should at least remember what channel you were on when you rebooted. That may be a hardware issue.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

I'll try recreating the issue when I get home using the steps you provided but, and not to be a jerk or anything, have you ever considered not changing channels to one you don't get?

Well I'm guessing you're not a grandpa or a dad with todders! When either of my two grandkids come over (~ ages 2 and 1), the first thing they go for is the TV remote. :lol:
/steve

#19 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

My HR24-500 receiver got the new software. No problems that I have seen.
But, the GUI is much more responsive. :D
Good job DirecTV.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

Well I'm guessing you're not a grandpa or a dad with todders! When either of my two grandkids come over (~ ages 2 and 1), the first thing they go for is the TV remote. :lol:

hah, no I am not. :)

You're pretty good at recreating issues Steve, can you recreate his following his steps?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...