Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to hook up D12 to HDTV

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

My 86 year old dad has Direct TV service through a D12-100 receiver and has been watching it on a standard definition 26 inch tube TV. I'm about to buy him a Sony NSX32GT1 1080p LED flat screen TV. I Googled the D12 receiver and it shows S Video as the best connection, but the new TV only has HDMI, component, and composite connections. What is the best way to connect these two components together so he can finally see a high definition picture like he was meant to? Will he have to upgrade his receiver? If so, will his monthly subscription rate increase as a result?
Smitty

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

He needs new dish, new receiver,(provided for free probably) & will have to spend nine bucks more a month. Yes, you could go buy a HDMI to USB cable & hook up the set to the D12, but he wouldn't be able to see HDTV in all its glory.................

#3 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Are you saying he's not receiving HD? Apparently I made the wrong assumption that Direct TV ONLY sent out High Definition signals. So I guess I was wrong.

I guess I can plan on getting that set up for him too--maybe even take over his bill so I know he's getting the right package. Will Direct TV let me do that?

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

What works best is going to have to be ascertained after the setup is assembled. Your options are composite or RF. RF may turn out to be the better choice.

Be prepared for the DIRECTV picture to not look as good on the new TV. This is due to the increase in detail revealing artifacts as opposed to the connection method.

The picture size should be almost identical.

Is OTA involved or is the old TV dying?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Are you saying he's not receiving HD? Apparently I made the wrong assumption that Direct TV ONLY sent out High Definition signals. So I guess I was wrong.

You can't receive HD programming with an SD receiver like the D12.

I'm guessing what you were thinking of was digital signals (not to be confused with HD).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Yes, I was thinking High Definition SIGNAL. I know he wasn't seeing an HD picture because he had an SD television, but I never considered that his D12-100 didn't output an HD signal either. So we'll be upgrading his whole setup since just getting an HD receiver won't be enough. He'll need a whole new dish too. I guess I answered my own question. I'll get put on his account as an authorized user, get his equipment upgraded, and start paying his DTV bill.
Thanks for the help folks.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

Yes, the D12 is a standard definition receiver. Surprisingly (at least to folks here) over half of DIRECTV's subscriber base still has standard-definition-only service.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,360 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

Yes, the D12 is a standard definition receiver. Surprisingly (at least to folks here) over half of DIRECTV's subscriber base still has standard-definition-only service.

Look at the economy. It definitely had a impact on people upgrading to HD.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#9 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

My sister has satellite (don't know if Dish or DTV) only because they can't get cable out in the middle of the Arizona desert. I think she has standard def too since their TV is an SD tube TV. I switched from HD cable to HD satellite because I wanted a lower bill. Worked out fine until the "new customer" deal expired! Don't know why dad switched from cable to DTV. I think if I ever switched back to standard definition, I'd probably go cross-eyed from the eye strain! Luckily I'm still in a financial position to enjoy HD, but if that changed, I'd probably drop DTV entirely and get my shows off the internet.

#10 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

As others have noted, to get HD your father will need a new receiver and new dish.

However, until that happens, you can connect the D12 to his television using the composite video (yellow) and red/white audio cables. That will give him as good an SD picture as he can get.

I think something that confuses some people is that all satellite transmissions are digital, but they are not all HD. Those are not the same thing.

#11 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

I think something that confuses some people is that all satellite transmissions are digital, but they are not all HD. Those are not the same thing.

I was one of those people.

Now on to another question--or maybe I should start this as a new thread?

Now that I'm an authorized user on his account, how do I order the necessary equipment online. He doesn't have internet, so he doesn't have an online account. I can sign into my own account, but can't add his account to mine. The DTV customer service rep was no help in this regard. Can you not have more than one account under your name?

Smitty

#12 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,904 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Personally, I would order it through the rep, see what kind of deals they can give him. You'll need an install appointment anyway.

Keep in mind, a new receiver will trigger a 2 year commitment.

But you might need to fix the account issue anyway. It'd be good to get the HD Access free for 2 years, but that requires autopay, which I'd think needs paperless statements.

#13 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

It's very nice of you to take over his payments. I'm sure he appreciates that.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#14 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

you could go buy a HDMI to USB cable

Where would one purchase this cable? And what would one do with it?

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Where would one purchase this cable?

USB to HDMI adapters are easy to come by.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

And what would one do with it?

That's a trick question. These devices are only usable with Intel CPU based computers; something that the D12 doesn't qualify as.

#16 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

USB to HDMI adapters are easy to come by.

That is not a "USB to HDMI cable." That is a video adapter that connects to a PC via USB and outputs video over HDMI. 100% useless on any STB.

#17 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

Before commiting to 2 more years with DirecTV just to get HD (or an additional receiver), if your account currently isn't under commitment I would strongly suggest checking out the other options (DISH Network, Cable).

When you just upgrade to HD with DirecTV (or add a receiver), you get a new 2 year commitment and probably an old clunker "reconditioned" receiver/DVR. You might get "free" HD and you might not but even if you do it will only last 24 months and some have reported you have to pay attention because it mysteriously disappears much sooner. You will also continue to pay full price for your programming package.

Switching will probably also result in a new 2 year commitment but you will get a super-duper discount on programming for the first year which often also includes a few premium channels for a few months and you might be able to insist on new equipment. Plus you'll get "free" HD for life with no hassles if you decide to stay with the DirecTV competitor.

Meanwhile, if it doesn't work out after two years you can switch back to DirecTV which I understand LOVES to get their old customers back and offers the same deal they do to NEW customers. Either way, you'll save a bundle.

It still baffles me why DirecTV treats their old loyal customers like crap which is why I still have SD service from them (and NO current commitment), but who knows what the future may bring? It wasn't long ago that DirecTV proclaimed "you are only a new customer ONCE". But now you are a new customer after you disappear for 2 years!!! :D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#18 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

Do what ever you have to save $$$$. I'm glad your dad is alive, mine passed away this May at his age. Why don't you just buy him a large SD TV on craigs list and just transfer his reciever to your account and only pay an extra $7.

#19 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Why don't you just buy him a large SD TV on craigs list and just transfer his reciever to your account and only pay an extra $7.

Maybe because it violates the terms of service?

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:46 PM

That is not a "USB to HDMI cable." That is a video adapter that connects to a PC via USB and outputs video over HDMI. 100% useless on any STB.

I believe I made that abundantly clear.

spam firewall