Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Slimline 5 required for locals?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GrizHawk

GrizHawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

Just switched to D* a couple of weeks ago. At the time, the Rapid City, SD locals were not available on D*. The installer set up a Slimline 3 dish. A week later, the Rapid locals became available and we added them to our package. The local channels themselves come in just fine, but the program guide data for the locals won't load. If I do a double reset, the guide will load up about 2 hours worth of info for the locals, but that data quickly gets lost (sometimes before the 2 hours are up). Is it possible that I need a Slimline 5 to receive everything? But then, why would the Slimline 3 pick up the channels themselves just fine, but not the guide information? Are the two coming from different sats (hence requiring a Slimline 5 to receive everything)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Its somewhat complicated, but yes you do need the 5lnb version.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

If the actual locals are on 99 or 103, they have to be if he has an SL3, he shouldnt need an SL5 should he? The stacking plan of the SL3 doesnt pull guide data from 119 like the SL5 does.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,414 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

If the actual locals are on 99 or 103, they have to be if he has an SL3, he shouldnt need an SL5 should he? The stacking plan of the SL3 doesnt pull guide data from 119 like the SL5 does.

As we've seen many times here, this may have a SL5 [the one that only has 3 heads], yet the receiver is set to an SL3 [which only has 1 head], which could explain the guide data problem.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   GrizHawk

GrizHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

As we've seen many times here, this may have a SL5 [the one that only has 3 heads], yet the receiver is set to an SL3 [which only has 1 head], which could explain the guide data problem.

I have an SL3 (it has one head) and the receiver was set to SL3 when it was installed. One of the customer service reps I talked to had me change the receiver settings to SL5, which did nothing to solve the problem. A different rep (I've talked to several about this problem) had me repeat the satellite set up with the receiver set to SL3, which also did nothing to solve the problem. They finally decided I needed to schedule a service call and then told me the earliest open date was Sept. 14th, so apparently it's not a problem I'm going to get resolved soon.

I can watch all the locals just fine, but without the guide information for them, I can't DVR anything, which is a pain in the butt.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,414 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

I have an SL3 (it has one head) and the receiver was set to SL3 when it was installed. One of the customer service reps I talked to had me change the receiver settings to SL5, which did nothing to solve the problem. A different rep (I've talked to several about this problem) had me repeat the satellite set up with the receiver set to SL3, which also did nothing to solve the problem. They finally decided I needed to schedule a service call and then told me the earliest open date was Sept. 14th, so apparently it's not a problem I'm going to get resolved soon.

I can watch all the locals just fine, but without the guide information for them, I can't DVR anything, which is a pain in the butt.

This is strange, as the guide data with the SL3 & SL5 are the same, just duplicated on both SATs.
Has anyone reset your authorization yet?
During the double reboot, you get the data, but it doesn't update later, which is the strange part.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...4&postcount=534
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#8 OFFLINE   GrizHawk

GrizHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Has anyone reset your authorization yet?

I don't think so. I've had two reps that had me do the double reboot and then basically told me to wait 24 to 48 hours for the guide to populate and then the other two who I mentioned above that had me repeat the satellite setup with both SL5 and SL3 settings. How do I reset the authorization?

#9 OFFLINE   GrizHawk

GrizHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...4&postcount=534

Thanks, Robert...I knew I had seen that post somewhere before, but then couldn't find it earlier today. So, D* should swap my SL3 for an SL5 free of charge, correct? The bigger question is, why have none of the service reps I've talked to been able to ID this as the problem?

#10 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

Thanks, Robert...I knew I had seen that post somewhere before, but then couldn't find it earlier today. So, D* should swap my SL3 for an SL5 free of charge, correct? The bigger question is, why have none of the service reps I've talked to been able to ID this as the problem?

They may not be trained on the new material yet.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,414 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

I don't think so. I've had two reps that had me do the double reboot and then basically told me to wait 24 to 48 hours for the guide to populate and then the other two who I mentioned above that had me repeat the satellite setup with both SL5 and SL3 settings. How do I reset the authorization?

You can call and have the CSR do it, or log on to your account and do it under your hardware.

@ RobertE
I you know more about this, so why would the SL5 be needed for the guide data for the MPEG-4 locals??
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

Is that mean some part of APG (SD DMA ?) spooling from 119W ?

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

You can call and have the CSR do it, or log on to your account and do it under your hardware.

@ RobertE
I you know more about this, so why would the SL5 be needed for the guide data for the MPEG-4 locals??

Honestly no idea as to the current "why".

Several possibilities do come to mind though. The current sat assignment may be temporary, and they may be moved to 110/119 at some point as other markets get moved around. Maybe some SD locals are in the works that will be on 110/119. Just 2 possibles that come to mind.

#14 OFFLINE   GrizHawk

GrizHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Honestly no idea as to the current "why".

Several possibilities do come to mind though. The current sat assignment may be temporary, and they may be moved to 110/119 at some point as other markets get moved around. Maybe some SD locals are in the works that will be on 110/119. Just 2 possibles that come to mind.

Well, to complicate the question even further, I heard from someone else in the area who also has an SL3, but his locals AND the guide info both work just fine. So, what the hell?:confused:

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,414 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

Well, to complicate the question even further, I heard from someone else in the area who also has an SL3, but his locals AND the guide info both work just fine. So, what the hell?:confused:

This seems like it has to be related to the receiver.
The guide data from the SL3 is "always there" [from 101], where with the SL5, it switches between the 101 & 119 SATs.
Refreshing the receiver authorization [so that it "knows" to get it] seems like where this receiver is failing.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   jrsimpson927

jrsimpson927

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

My guide data is good on the hd channels on my hd dvr but 22 and 27 STD locals say to be announced. On my h24 it's the same boat hawk is in. To be announced on everything. A local installer I know said all you need is a sl3...weird

#17 OFFLINE   GrizHawk

GrizHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

The guide data from the SL3 is "always there" [from 101], where with the SL5, it switches between the 101 & 119 SATs.
Refreshing the receiver authorization [so that it "knows" to get it] seems like where this receiver is failing.

I reset the authorization. No change.

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

That's not the problem... :(

I'm all too familiar with this issue. :(

~Alan

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,414 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

That's not the problem... :(

I'm all too familiar with this issue. :(

~Alan

Not to kick around a two week old thread, but :confused:
How does this have anything to do with whether one has an SL3 or SL5? :confused:
I read your posts/link, which looks like it's "merely" problems with the guide data, which is the same whether it comes from 101 or 119 [point of thread].
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

Not to kick around a two week old thread, but :confused:
How does this have anything to do with whether one has an SL3 or SL5? :confused:
I read your posts/link, which looks like it's "merely" problems with the guide data, which is the same whether it comes from 101 or 119 [point of thread].

Sorry...

I followed the link from another thread, and didn't realize it was an old thread.

Like the OP, you could get guide data for the channels by flushing the guide cache, but the data would disappear shortly after.

I'm commenting about it again in another thread.

~Alan

spam firewall