Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best way to get a deal on MRV/receiver upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wv_patsfan

wv_patsfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

Long time reader, first time poster, blah blah...:)

I currently have 2 HR22-100s and a standard receiver. Just upgraded the 3rd TV to HD and I'm now interested in getting MRV in addition to a new HD receiver or DVR. My original 2 year commitment just expired last month so I should have a bit of leverage. What should be my strategy to get a good deal here...should I just try to go straight to retention by saying "cancel," or should I just be more upfront about what I want and not threaten to cancel? Hoping to at least get free installation or a free receiver upgrade...what are my chances?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

Wont know until you call. Try the CSR first, if you dont like the deal, just decline, and call again tomorrow. If you still dont like the deal, try retention, but be prepared to actually cancel if they call your bluff.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

You can pretty safely talk to retention without risk if you only say cancel to the automated system. Don't tell the rep you're willing to cancel unless you are like has been said.

I have only used that route once, I usually just to through the normal CSRs.

#4 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

After you call, post your offer/results here. We'll be more than happy to provide our opinions on it. :D

:welcome_s

#5 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Set a goal on what you feel is fair and realistic for you and call them often and every day. I my self never threaten to cancel, if i did i probably wouldn't be here tipping this right rite now.

Bottom line is your time with them and your payment history.

#6 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

I currently have 2 HR22-100s and a standard receiver. Just upgraded the 3rd TV to HD and I'm now interested in getting MRV in addition to a new HD receiver or DVR.

Please clarify: do you want to upgrade the SD to a MRV-compatible unit AND add another HD receiver/DVR or just change the SD to an HD unit?

Don't forget to get the Cinema Connection Kit.

Your "list" costs:
MRV upgrade - $199 (should include swapping out your SD unit to a MRV compatible unit)
Install - $49.99
"new" HD receiver - $99
"new" HD DVR - $199
2-year commitment

Good luck.

#7 OFFLINE   csrrocks2011

csrrocks2011

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

Set a goal on what you feel is fair and realistic for you and call them often and every day. I my self never threaten to cancel, if i did i probably wouldn't be here tipping this right rite now.

Bottom line is your time with them and your payment history.

+1.
Always remain pretty courteous and we will do what we can on the "other end"! Supervisors also have alot of lee-way as into ho wmuch credit they can apply. If you are not satisfied with the front line answer, ask for the sup, nicely. Usually they can cut alot of price without going to retention :)
My opinions are my own and not shared nor equally expressed by directv or any of its affiliates.

#8 OFFLINE   wv_patsfan

wv_patsfan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

I let this sit for a little while, but I just called and got a pretty good deal. Getting a new HDDVR for $200, but I also got free install of the DVR, free install of MRV/internet kit, and best of all free Sunday Ticket! Tried to get a little more but that was all I could get. Thanks for the help everyone! :D

#9 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Sounds like a pretty good deal and you're obviously excited about the Sunday Ticket. Many here have tried to get ST; but not all successful. Hope you like it when you get it installed and lets hope your installer has an HR24 on his truck when he shows up.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,835 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

It's a dog eat dog world.

Find out what the cable company will give and then haggle with the DirecTV Retention Center with this knowledge in order to get the best deal.

And make sure you get a confirmation email that list ALL the details.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#11 OFFLINE   wv_patsfan

wv_patsfan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

Never did get the confirmation email even though I specifically asked the rep. However, the order is correct on the My Account section of the website, including the free ST, so I should be good.

spam firewall