Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What to expect with a new install and a few other questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mason139

mason139

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

We are getting a new Direct system installed in the next few weeks.
We are looking at 2 HD-DVR's and 2 HD receivers, Choice Ultimate package, and the Whole Home DVR service.

After reading up on a few different threads, I am confused with the whole DECA thing. Is one DECA needed for the whole home on the main receiver, or does each receiver in the house need a deca installed? Also reading that the new SWiM system requires a higher voltage to operate and has to have a power inserter, where is the best place to have the PI installed?

Also our home has recently had the RG6 wiring in the attic upgraded to carry HD signals and cable internet to the modem. When Direct comes to install the dish, with they use the existing wiring in the attic or run new lines on the exterior of the house.

I know a bunch of y'all are going to laugh at these simple questions, but bare with us Direct noobs! :P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

Each Receiver and the Router needs a DECA. DECA are built into H24 & H25, as well as the HR24.

Point out the cabling to the tech that comes to you home.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:56 AM

The power inserter will be installed indoors, next to one of your D* boxes...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#4 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

Since fellow members have answered you I might suggest as soon as the installer arrives kindly ask him to tell you about the overall install. Work in the same questions you asked in your post. This will reveal his skill level and attitude. If possible go with him to the various areas of your home. We were robbed by a non-DirecTV installer so I'm a bit paranoid. If you face any real difficulties contact his supervisor or DTV.

During my last hardware upgrade the first tech was not authorized to install the AM21N (I'm handicapped.). The second did not know how to install wireless devices. The third was great.

Good Luck.

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

I always ask Directv to have the Installer's Dispatcher to call me prior to dispatching an installer to come to my house and I then discuss exactly what I want and what I am trying to accomplish so they will send someone who is knowledgeable and experienced and brings everything that he will need.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...