Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Got "The Letter"; Fees Added to 501/508

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Scan of the letter that came in the mail today............

August 12,2011
Dear Valued DISH Network Customer,

We would like to let you know about some upcoming changes related to your 501 or 508 DVR receiver(s). Due to changes in technology, these receivers will become obsolete and thus need to be replaced by DISH Network in the next two years. The replacement of your 501 or 508 DVR receiver(s) will initially occur as convenience allows (should we otherwise have reason to come to your home). Eventually, you may be contacted directly by a DISH Network representative to arrange to have your 501 or 508 DVR receiver(s) replaced with a newer DVR receiver. Regardless of how and when you are upgraded, your replacement DVR receiver will have more storage than your 501 or 508 receiver, plus the ability to simultaneously watch and record separate programs or record two programs at the same time.

While the 501 and 508 DVR receivers have less capability than our other DVR receivers, they have also been unique in not carrying a monthly DVR fee. Most of our DVR receivers have a $6 monthly DVR Service fee if it is the first DVR receiver on the account. Our DVR receivers also have a $10 receiver fee if it is an additional DVR receiver on the account.

In order to smoothly transition all of our affected customers who will need to be upgraded at different times over the next two years, we are simultaneously doing the following two things at this time:

• Conforming 50 I and 508 DVR receivers to the same fee structure as our other DVR receivers. Starting with this bill, you will see the $6 monthly DVR Service fee for your first DVR receiver and a $10 DVR receiver fee for each additional 501 or 508 DVR receiver.
  • Providing a monthly credit on your bill for the next 24 months to offset the impact of the new or higher fee(s). As a result of this upgrade to the 501 and 508 DVR receiver fee structure, your net monthly bill total should not change. You will continue to receive the credit for the full 24 months regardless of when your receiver upgrade takes place.

If you have any questions or believe that your account has been affected in a manner other than what we've described in this letter, please call us immediately at 1-800-333-DISH and we will be more than happy to help.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter and we appreciate you being a loyal DISH Network customer.

Sincerely,
DISH Network

So, they're adding the DVR fee, but then crediting it out for 24 months. They don't mention anything about any upgrade fees to other equipment.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

Seems like a pretty good deal. Upgrade to a more current HD receiver with no additional charge for two years.

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

The only thing I might consider is going to the 211 if they'd ship one with no upgrade fees and waive the EHD initialization fee.

If not, I'll just drop the service when they kill the 5XX boxes. I won't really be able to afford it anymore anyways after this next annual renewal. About one more year and I'll be out, maybe two.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

I see the logic is went to 180 degree:
"Conforming 501 and 508 DVR receivers to the same fee structure as our other DVR receivers."
Follow that, it should be spread to all other DVR and means drop the fee (or that imply they still collecting money for next TiVo payments ?).

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

I haven't received the "the letter" (I'm on WA), but the $10 fee appeared on this month's bill. There is no associated credit to offset it and no explanation as to what happened. Further, I was expecting some more credits for a situation where they were billing me for my primary ViP622 (as opposed to my 508) and those have disappeared too.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:37 PM

On my latest bill, the fee for the 408 went from $7 to $10 but there was a
24/$3 credit that offset it. I have other DVRs and was already paying the
$6 DVR fee.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

On my latest bill, the fee for the 408 went from $7 to $10 but there was a
24/$3 credit that offset it. I have other DVRs and was already paying the
$6 DVR fee.

That model 408 shouldn't have any fee as non-existing kind. :)
If you mean PVR508, then they charging you incorrectly, as 501 and 508 never had 'DVR fee' - only 510 have it.

#8 OFFLINE   Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

I missed typed. I have been paying the $6 DVR fee all along as I have
other DVRs on the account.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

You shouldn't - 501 and 508 are excluded; ask for refund and percentage of such 'loan' ;).

#10 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

You shouldn't - 501 and 508 are excluded; ask for refund and percentage of such 'loan' ;).

Wrong. He said he had OTHER DVRs on the account that required the DVR Service Fee.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Wrong what ? 501 and 508 doesn't carry "DVR fee".

#12 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

But he said he has OTHER DVRs that require the fee. So he'd have the fee anyway. Now, he pays extra for the 501/508, but gets a credit (stupid whiny credit IMO) to offset it.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

He could provide more details to avoid each one own guess ...

#14 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

harsh,

Letters were sent out to bundled customers (bundled with Telco), otherwise the explanation of the charges was included in the current August invoice that was sent out. If you would PM your account number to me, I would be happy to check on the credits you were speaking about. Thanks.

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

^^ Not 'bundled' here, but I don't get a paper invoice either.

#16 OFFLINE   gsel

gsel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

harsh,

Letters were sent out to bundled customers (bundled with Telco), otherwise the explanation of the charges was included in the current August invoice that was sent out. If you would PM your account number to me, I would be happy to check on the credits you were speaking about. Thanks.

What exactly is making only these two receivers "obsolete"?

#17 OFFLINE   ryker

ryker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

I have a 501 and got the letter. So can I upgrade to the hd receiver at no additional cost except for the 6$ fee?

#18 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

Letters were sent out to bundled customers (bundled with Telco), otherwise the explanation of the charges was included in the current August invoice that was sent out.

I beg to differ. There is no mention of the billing change on the two page invoice (or the PDF thereof). There were a couple of ad slick stuffers and the remittance envelope but no explanation that I could find.

I'm assured by MattG that the credit will appear at some point and continue for 24 months (it did NOT appear on the August billing).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#19 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

What exactly is making only these two receivers "obsolete"?

The 501 and 508 aren't capable of demodulating the more efficient 8PSK modulation scheme that will replace the QPSK scheme.

#20 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

Also got the letter. I have paperless billing, so had to send it by itself.

I guess a 2 year warning is better than just turning it off.

I will just end service on it. It's on the other end of my house more than 100 feet from the 1000.4 dish. I have an old "deluxe" single lnb pointed at 119 just for it. There are trees in the way of the eastern birds on that end of the roof. Won't be able to replace it. :(
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...