Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV To Offer NFL Sunday Ticket Package On PlayStation 3 but not Roku

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,608 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

DirecTV To Offer NFL Sunday Ticket Package On PlayStation 3

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

I'm sure many will be jazzed by this news.. Nice to see them doing so but let's hope it doesn't turn into a train wreck. The NHL on ps3 sure did by the end of last season. Perhaps circus is the more apt term? :)

#3 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

Im gonna caution anyone to taking this. I use this currently for MLB and the only reason I stay is that it works on my iPhone as well. The HD quality is not anywhere as good as D* most of the time. With the price being the same as with D* I would recommend just being with D*. I understand a lot of people not with D* would want this. Its not what its cracked up to be. I would be asking about a free preview of this. D* usually gives the first week away to everyone for free. I wonder if the PS3 part is free for week 1 as well.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

I wonder how many people will think they can control the games with their PS3? :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

Not really anything new except offering it on the PS3. Last year non-subscribers could get Sunday Ticket To-Go if they can prove they can't get DirecTV service. Sounds like this is just going to be the same thing except this year they will offer an App (or channel, whatever you want to call it) so it works on the PS3. Wouldn't be suprised if they end up doing the AppleTV also since MLB and NBA offer their services on it too.

The thing that really caught my eye in that article is how they said DirecTV will be offering mix channel with only 4 games shown during the later game times. Hopefully this will be reflected on the DirecTV receiver version of the mix channel, and not just something for online/to-go viewers.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

this is going to confuse a ton of people. the playstation blog is filled with people asking if this is only fifty bucks.....

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

this is going to confuse a ton of people. the playstation blog is filled with people asking if this is only fifty bucks.....

I'm not sure what DIRECTV could do if it is confusing people who missed the price in the article.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#8 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

I'm not sure what DIRECTV could do if it is confusing people who missed the price in the article.

Cheers,
Tom

some(not all)people are, well, easily confused.
either way, it's always interesting to see what others are chattering about.
http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=441382

http://blog.us.plays...age-2/#comments

Edited by fireponcoal, 17 August 2011 - 02:51 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

About the most interesting part of the article for me, was the new 4 Channel Mix for afternoon games. Might actually be able to use it now to watch a game and keep up with 3 others. With the 8 Channel Mix, it's kind of a small screen to watch a game.

Also new this year, fans can tune to a new Mix Channel format for late afternoon games. While DirecTV will continue to display last year's eight-channel mix when there is a full schedule of Sunday games, the network will offer a new four-channel mix when there are four or fewer games in the afternoon TV window.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

{Mod edit: The article was incorrect, Roku does not have the NFL ST in its lineup.}

Apparently it will also be available on the Roku Box (didn't want to start a new thread, but perhaps a Mod can change the title a bit).

STORY

Pertinent info:

The refresh caps off a few months of positive development for the company, including a big distribution deal with Best Buy and the news that DirecTV's premium Sunday Ticket NFL package, AOL HD and WealthTV would all be added to the Roku lineup.

Read more: Capping off refreshes and streaming deals, Roku raises $8M | News | Rapid TV News http://www.rapidtvne...l#ixzz1VKaXlJpL

Edited by Tom Robertson, 19 August 2011 - 10:11 AM.
Correction

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

the author of the article makes it very confusing...I've read it about 4 times and still can't understand what he's trying to say....

#12 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

the author of the article makes it very confusing...I've read it about 4 times and still can't understand what he's trying to say....

Seems pretty straightforward to me:confused:

"Non-DirecTV subscribers will pay in the neighborhood of $340 for the subscriber authenticated-based PlayStation offering, $5 more than the price of a Sunday Ticket subscription. Subscribers of the Sunday Ticket package will get the service as part of the additional $50 NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go service, said the company."

If you don't have Direct TV you will pay $340 to watch it on your PS3.

If you have Direct TV and subscribe to Sunday Ticket, you will need to purchase the $50 To-Go package for Sunday Ticket in order to also watch the games on your PS3.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#13 OFFLINE   Mickstix

Mickstix

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

I had center ice on the PS3, and it's not very impressive.. I wonder if the NFL package will be the same?

#14 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

I had center ice on the PS3, and it's not very impressive.. I wonder if the NFL package will be the same?

I'd say the first half of the season was great the second half of the year it went to ****e.. As an oilers fan it was great to see local Edmonton feeds in HD. Just my opinion...

I seem to remember various problems with NFL on the go last season. Let's hope they smooth some things out because calling Sony yields zero fixes when problems arise... At least they didn't with NHL gamecenter..

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

Nice timing now that the PS3 dropped $50 and the new Roku was just released. Good time to get one.

#16 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

some(not all)people are, well, easily confused.
either way, it's always interesting to see what others are chattering about.
http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=441382

http://blog.us.plays...age-2/#comments

Reading some of those makes a great argument to not legalize pot. :D

#17 OFFLINE   Joekak

Joekak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

Can anyone copy the story(s) for me? I'm having trouble getting there to read them :(

Really excited to use my PS3 to hook up an additional tv in my living room on sundays :D

#18 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

Can anyone copy the story(s) for me? I'm having trouble getting there to read them :(

Really excited to use my PS3 to hook up an additional tv in my living room on sundays :D

Alas, copyright rules do not permit us to publish full articles here at DBStalk.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

We can't quote the whole thing, but if you have Sunday Ticket, you'll need to get the To go package ($50) to access it on the PS3. Some have gotten DirecTV to add it to their account for free.

#20 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

What is the advantage of this for those that have D*?

Why watch NFLST on the PS3 or Roku over the D* receiver?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...