Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV To Offer NFL Sunday Ticket Package On PlayStation 3 but not Roku

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

It's in the PSN store now. If the video quality is as bad as the sample videos (ST Ads) then this is NOT worth the price they are asking for from folks. Wasn't it supposed to be HD quality? I guess we will find out for sure on Sunday...

The sample videos should be representative of what you will get delivered to your home. One key is your network performance. The video adjusts based on the network speeds.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

The sample videos should be representative of what you will get delivered to your home. One key is your network performance. The video adjusts based on the network speeds.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

The sample video playing on a loop on the Red Zone Channel PS3 app has to be encoded in a low bitrate.I have 40/5 Road Runner service hardwired and the video looks youtube quality.

A Sony Rep. on the PSN Blog mentioned that Directv will be streaming the games on the PS3 @ 3mbps, which seems pretty low for a high premium product....Look at post #13 on the Playstation/Directv Sunday Ticket blog please.(I cant post url's yet)

Is there a Directv insider here that can verify what the max bitrate that Directv will be sending through the PS3?

Also will Short Cuts and Fantasy Tracker be included in the PS3 also? Thanks..

#63 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Tom,

The sample video playing on a loop on the Red Zone Channel PS3 app has to be encoded in a low bitrate.I have 40/5 Road Runner service hardwired and the video looks youtube quality.

A Sony Rep. on the PSN Blog mentioned that Directv will be streaming the games on the PS3 @ 3mbps, which seems pretty low for a high premium product....Look at post #13 on the Playstation/Directv Sunday Ticket blog please.(I cant post url's yet)

Is there a Directv insider here that can verify what the max bitrate that Directv will be sending through the PS3?

Also will Short Cuts and Fantasy Tracker be included in the PS3 also? Thanks..

Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

Shortcuts will not be included this year. With a product like this, I do not want to predict future years. :)

As for Fantasy Tracker... I don't think so. I will ask about this and the bitrates.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#64 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:14 PM

Thanks Tom for looking into it...

#65 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Tom,any latest news on the actual max bitrate for PS3? Thanks...

#66 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

Tom,any latest news on the actual max bitrate for PS3? Thanks...

I can't imagine the Sony rep would lie. And I never measured, but the PC streaming last year looked like it was about 3Mbps quality. I highly doubt they'd do higher quality streams just for the PS3.

#67 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

I can't imagine the Sony rep would lie. And I never measured, but the PC streaming last year looked like it was about 3Mbps quality. I highly doubt they'd do higher quality streams just for the PS3.

If mlbtv can do 4.5mbps on their streams for the PS3 and the package only cost $119...surely Directv can up the ante and at least have the quality compareable or better for the high $339.00 premium it cost.

#68 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

If mlbtv can do 4.5mbps on their streams for the PS3 and the package only cost $119...surely Directv can up the ante and at least have the quality compareable or better for the high $339.00 premium it cost.

Here's the thing: What will they gain from doing it? It'll raise their costs, with practically zero return. They have no incentive.

#69 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Would it be possible to use the PS3 as a receiver and use the To-Go streaming feature on a laptop at the same time? Would signing in to the laptop service trigger an automatic disconnection of the person watching on PS3?

It stands to reason that if the PS3 acts like an additional "receiver" as the article implies, that this would be an independent stream vs. the Sunday Ticket To-Go stream for the same subscriber...

I have my PC logged in and tried logging into the PS3 and it wouldn't let me. It gives an error stating that you have to log out of other device first.

#70 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

It's in the PSN store now. If the video quality is as bad as the sample videos (ST Ads) then this is NOT worth the price they are asking for from folks. Wasn't it supposed to be HD quality? I guess we will find out for sure on Sunday...

Give us updates on this

Waiting to buy it to see how the quality is

#71 ONLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

Is anyone having issues with this? Worked fine yesterday, watching the red zone channel but i cant get any video today

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#72 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Is anyone having issues with this? Worked fine yesterday, watching the red zone channel but i cant get any video today

Virtually everyone on the PS3 forum is having issues

http://blog.us.plays...age-6/#comments

#73 ONLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

It is not working on my PC either

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#74 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

Question: If I buy the package on my PS3 tomorrow, will I still have to pay the full amount? Or will the package be the price minus one week?

#75 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

I would imagine it would be full price, since last week was a free preview.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#76 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

It wasn't freeview for the ToGo, but I don't think they are scaling the price week to week. There will likely be midseason prices.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#77 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

Yea, I bought it for full price because I needed to see my team.

Very satisfied with what I am getting so far.

Video is quite solid & audio is good.

Video could be a bit better BUT I dont mind it

#78 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

I'm watching the Chicago - New Orleans game, getting 14.5 Mbps speed to the PS3, and it looks like a bad Youtube video. Artifacts, shimmering, etc. Absolutely looks like a low res feed

spam firewall