Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ipad app..

whdvr

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

It says my receiver is found on my network, but it has a 169 ip address.. When i put that addy into the app and validate, it doesnt valudate. How can it be found then?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,678 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:41 AM

You need to go into network settings and tell it to connect to the Internet. You also need to make sure that in the whole home setup you have everything set to allow under external devices.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

a 169.xxx address is not a real address but the address a device gets when its not getting a valid IP for your network schema...its not really connected.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:01 AM

It says my receiver is found on my network, but it has a 169 ip address.. When i put that addy into the app and validate, it doesnt valudate. How can it be found then?

To elaborate a bit more on ccarncross's reply, in order for the iPad app to see your DVR, the DVR needs to be a recognized device on the same network as the iPad. So, e.g., if your iPad has a 192.168.x.x address on your home network, the HR2x must have a 192.168.x.x. as well. You can't just enter a "192" address, though, if your HR is not actually connected to that network.

There are a three ways to do that, AFAIK.
  • If you already have a "whole home" set-up, DirecTV needs to add an ICK (internet connection kit) to it. Should have been done as part of the installation.
  • You can connect a CAT5 cable from the back of your HR to your existing router or switch.
  • You can order a wireless "cinema connection kit" here.

/steve

#5 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:25 AM

I think since I have wireless and my modem is aways from my receiver i will need a wireless adapter on the back of my receiver. Now is this a special adpter or can i buy a Usb one a walmart?

#6 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

No USB stick will work.

It sounds like your best bet is the Wireless Cinema Connection Kit (WCCK) referenced in Steve's post above. AFAIK, it's only $25. That's going to be a hard price to beat.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#7 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

Wht is 25 dollars?

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

The wireless connection kit.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

The wireless connection kit.

Sorry being dumb, but its 79 at DTV..

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:18 AM

To elaborate a bit more on ccarncross's reply, in order for the iPad app to see your DVR, the DVR needs to be a recognized device on the same network as the iPad. So, e.g., if your iPad has a 192.168.x.x address on your home network, the HR2x must have a 192.168.x.x. as well. You can't just enter a "192" address, though, if your HR is not actually connected to that network.

There are a three ways to do that, AFAIK.

• If you already have a "whole home" set-up, DirecTV needs to add an ICK (internet connection kit) to it. Should have been done as part of the installation.
  • You can connect a CAT5 cable from the back of your HR to your existing router or switch.
  • You can order a wireless "cinema connection kit" here.

I haven't done anything special and my iPad picks up four or five of my HRs. And programs them. I've only played with it a couple times, but it caused my HRs to record those programs.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

I haven't done anything special and my iPad picks up four or five of my HRs. And programs them. I've only played with it a couple times, but it caused my HRs to record those programs.

You're "whole home", right? If so, your iPad is seeing them via the ICK.
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

Rich

Rich, what kind of connection do you have between wireless and your ipad?

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

You're "whole home", right? If so, your iPad is seeing them via the ICK.

Ah, another acronym I've never been able to figure out. I've put this off way too long: What's an ICK? Yes, I have all my HRs on MRV.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,796 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Ah, another acronym I've never been able to figure out. I've put this off way too long: What's an ICK? Yes, I have all my HRs on MRV.

Rich

Internet Connection Kit.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Rich, what kind of connection do you have between wireless and your ipad?

Not sure I understand your question, could you clarify? If it helps, I just have a 16GB wireless only iPad. No data package. I use a Cisco Linksys N router. No wireless gadgets at all. I do have to use two Power Inserters because of the size of my MRV setup (twelve HRs and I DO get a UPL on each of them).

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

Where do I get the kit for 25?

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

Internet Connection Kit.

Ow. That simple? And all this time I've been putting off showing my ignorance. I don't remember an ICK being installed, just the two power inserters and the DECA dongles. And the special SWM LNB and the two SWM 16s.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 21 August 2011 - 09:38 AM.
Clarification

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Ow. That simple? And all this time I've been putting off showing my ignorance. I don't remember an ICK being installed, just the two power inserters and the DECA dongles.

Rich

The ICK is the "freestanding" DECA adapter (or little black box, depending on when you got it) that bridges the coax connecting your boxes to your home LAN. It'll be hanging off one of your splitters, with a PI and network connection as well.
/steve

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,255 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Sorry being dumb, but its 79 at DTV..

I wonder if this is one of the things they "fixed" when they took the website down last week.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,255 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

I don't remember an ICK being installed, just the two power inserters and the DECA dongles.

Time was when you had to browbeat the ICK out of them. It wasn't installed without noticeable effort on the customer's part to make sure it happened.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whdvr

spam firewall