Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aim meter

referrals

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

Does anyone use an aim meter, I have one and when I try to use any of the inline test it freezes up and has to be rebooted but it does run the eiv just fine after peaking dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

I spent $40 last week to purchase one from the Shack, only place I could find one. Not my favorite place to shop. Anyways, took it up with me to roof to try to acquire signal, and after 5 minutes the knob adjusting the volume fell off!! So I went to plan B - had wife sit in basement on phone with me while I moved dish around - 5 minutes later I had the signal - elevation was off a bit!

#3 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

I spent $40 last week to purchase one from the Shack, only place I could find one. Not my favorite place to shop. Anyways, took it up with me to roof to try to acquire signal, and after 5 minutes the knob adjusting the volume fell off!! So I went to plan B - had wife sit in basement on phone with me while I moved dish around - 5 minutes later I had the signal - elevation was off a bit!

You got one of these for $40? At the Rat Shack? :confused:

http://www.solidsign...te-Dishes-(AIM)

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,689 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Radio Shack doesn't sell the AIM meter.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

he must mean an aiming meter... like this one.

http://www.radioshac...ductId=3264941#

if thats the one you got the best thing you can do with it is head back up to radio shack. atatch that 4 ft jumper that came with it to one side of it and start whirling it above your head in a circular motion. when you pick up enough speed let it go and see if you can take out the sales guy that sold it to you.

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,689 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

he must mean an aiming meter... like this one.

http://www.radioshac...ductId=3264941#

if thats the one you got the best thing you can do with it is head back up to radio shack. atatch that 4 ft jumper that came with it to one side of it and start whirling it above your head in a circular motion. when you pick up enough speed let it go and see if you can take out the sales guy that sold it to you.

:lol:
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   leeliam

leeliam

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:32 AM

Does anyone use an aim meter, I have one and when I try to use any of the inline test it freezes up and has to be rebooted but it does run the eiv just fine after peaking dish

Had the same problem myself. Reinstall the newest update 2.1 Software and it will go away. I upgraded to 2.1 and it kept locking up when going into EIV plus or guided mode. Installed a 2nd time and it's running fine.

Now if only they could fix the issue where it turns off due to low battery with 5 bars left I would be happy.

#8 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

Now if only they could fix the issue where it turns off due to low battery with 5 bars left I would be happy.

Not to oversimplify it, but just keep it on charge when not in use.

As soon as I get back in my truck, the AIM meter and handheld both go back on the charger.

Good Luck!!

#9 OFFLINE   leeliam

leeliam

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:03 AM

Not to oversimplify it, but just keep it on charge when not in use.

As soon as I get back in my truck, the AIM meter and handheld both go back on the charger.

Good Luck!!

My old one would last for a week without having to charge it. I'm ok with having to charge it every day or two. I'm just not ok with it shutting down due to low battery with 5 bars. With my old AIM and Birdog if it shut down due to low battery I could tell it was coming.

Just annoying if I forget to charge it. I dither dishes fast but a few times had to skip EIV because it suddenly shut down.

#10 OFFLINE   Simmerman

Simmerman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

Just keep in mind that the screen on the AIM is not nearly as well protected as the Birdog! Awesome effin meter though. I love it.

#11 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

Just keep in mind that the screen on the AIM is not nearly as well protected as the Birdog! Awesome effin meter though. I love it.

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but your "user number" is great!
(66666)

#12 OFFLINE   kingofku

kingofku

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

$40 for that thing? You can find them for $10 all day on eBay.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...