Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The DIRECTV HD DVR - 5 Years and Getting Stronger

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

The DIRECTV HD DVR – 5 Years and Getting Stronger

H25

Posted Image

Last year DIRECTV blurred the line between HD DVR and regular HD receivers with the introduction of the Whole-Home DVR service. This year they improved that service by adding their newest HD receivers the H25-500 & H25-100. The small size and the major speed of these receivers make them the perfect partner for any Whole Home DVR setup.

AM21N

Posted Image

DIRECTV's commitment to offering HD Locals to as many customers as possible was extended again this year with the addition of the newest Over the Air tuner for the HD DVR: the AM21N. This connects to any HD DVR HR21 and newer and incorporates your over the air channels right into your guide. The matte finish matches the latest model HR22s.

DIRECTV Application for iPad

Posted Image

DIRECTV's iPad app gives you the power to control any networked HD receiver in your home, scroll the guide or your playlist, set recordings, check out what the latest DIRECTV cinema movies are playing, or even check the score of your favorite game.

Wireless Digital Cinema Connection Kit (WDCCK)

Posted Image

Are you looking for a way to connect your HD DVR to the internet to have access to DIRECTV Cinema and DIRECTV Apps without having to run extra cable in your home? This wireless adapter works with all setups: those that have SWiM as well as those that do not. Plug it in, set it up and forget about it, it just works.

This year DIRECTV added some new software features to the HD DVR's making them much more user friendly including:

• Cover Art for programs in the Guide and Playlist. This makes each show you highlight in guide or list pop out and be easier to recognize.

• Smart Search was enhanced to give Top Matches, now when you type in your search the feature will not only show what you are looking for but will include other programs that are close to what you were originally searching for giving you more options.

• Trailers were added to DIRECTV Cinema giving those with an internet connected HD DVR the ability to watch the movie trailer before choosing to purchase the movie.

• YouTube was added this year to the list of features on the HD DVRs and now you have the ability to search for your favorite YouTube video using Smart Search and watch that video right on your TV.

• This year also included a new Enhanced Channel Banner. You now have more options on the Channel Banner including the newest feature Last 4, the ability to see the last four shows you were tuned to and tune directly to those programs. The new Channel Banner also includes features like adding a channel directly to your favorites list and turning Closed Captioning/DIRECTV Subtitles on and off.

• DIRECTV added support for External Drives with Advanced Format 4k Sectors giving users the flexibility to add large external drives to their HD DVR's to increase storage.

What's coming next? We don't know for sure but the buzz is all about the HR34 Home Media Center DVR, the new High Definition User Interface and the Nomad. Keep your eyes open for the DBSTalk.com First Look. The future is bright.

Scott Kocourek and Stuart Sweet

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

Pervious Articles:

Year One

Year Two

Year Three

Year Four

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,617 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Great summary of the "year that was", guys! :up:

Nice to see that DirecTV continues to innovate, and is not resting on its laurels.
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

I'm happy that, except for 3D support and WHDVR on the H20, DIRECTV's been able to add all the new features/functions over the years to the existing HD hardware platforms. Keep up the good work DIRECTV!

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,238 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

Nice job Scott and Stuart for putting this thread together.

Fixed :lol:

Edited by JACKIEGAGA, 22 August 2011 - 10:42 AM.

JACK,

#6 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,424 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

Nicely done Scott and Stuart!
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#7 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,087 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

I'm happy that, except for 3D support and WHDVR on the H20, DIRECTV's been able to add all the new features/functions over the years to the existing HD hardware platforms. Keep up the good work DIRECTV!

I agree. For me, it turned out fortunate that the H20 was incompatible, my wife decided it was time to get a second DVR to replace it. For a while, I was a bit ticked that I couldn't put on a USB network adapter.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

Thanks all, Scott did the heavy lifting here. I was happy to collaborate.
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

Very nice work Scott (and humble Stuart).

IT helps gain an appreciation for how fast things are really moving on the technology side, as well as all the new things we have seen evolve in a reasonably short period of time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

Nice job! Great insite on the progression of the HDDVR!

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

Thanks all, it was fun to go back through the last year and see all of the cool updates.

those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#12 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Best receiver I have ever had, and seems to be getting better. HR24-500. Great thread guys!

#13 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

So, contrary to some opinions we did receive something last year in return for the annual rate increase. :)
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#14 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

Nice, steady, thoughtful progress over the past 5 years.

Looking forward to how we end 2011. :)
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#15 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

That's all great progress, but as an existing customer you don't get access to the latest technology. Instead we have top deal with slow DRVs, while new installs get the latest and greatest.

#16 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

I appreciate the software improvements implemented this year including the new info banner and quick tune. The new iPad app also shows great promise. However, the software is still too buggy. As much as I'd like to see an HD-resolution guide with more customization options, I'd really like them to take a few months and just focus on getting the bugs out and optimizing the code.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

As much as I'd like to see an HD-resolution guide with more customization options, I'd really like them to take a few months and just focus on getting the bugs out and optimizing the code.

From statements made earlier this year, it appears that "optimizing the code" and a new HD-GUI may go hand-in-hand... :grin:

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hard to believe that these have been sitting around so long. Maybe time to visit the electronics graveyard.
Tivo.JPG It's interesting that five of six are SD boxes. I no longer have an SD set in the house.

#19 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Always cool to see all of the new stuff compiled in one place! Thanks!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#20 OFFLINE   EntropyByDesign

EntropyByDesign

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

I signed up for Directv earlier this month and have been enjoying the HR24 and H25 I received. I like Directv's DVR much better than Dish Network's, and even noticed some features I missed when I had a Tivo several years ago. I experienced a couple of glitches with the HR24 (weird sound and locked up when I hit the 8 second back button too fast) but nothing that a restart didn't clear up. Overall I'm very happy, I get the Rockies in HD full time, and free Sunday Ticket for one season. Satisfied customer! :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...