Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Finally, found signal - elevation changed!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

I relented a few years ago, hooked up existing dish on home to allow NFL package and pay the extra monthly fee. No other reason, use another source for viewing pleasure. Anyways last year had to upgrade the dish for HD, that was a chore doing it myself. But got it done.
So this year didn't think much when the midwest storms knocked off the dish from rooftop. So I waited until time to reinstate service, Aug 1 - and installed dish back on roof in pretty much the exact same spot as last year. Only this time wasn't able to find signal as easily as before. It's a no brainer - set the tilt, elevation - and azimuth. But something wasn't hitting.
So finally had wife just sit in basement while I moved the dish around, and for some reason the elevation had to be raised a few degrees and there it was.
Point is don't just rely on your or their number, things can and do move around, or my install - though level - was off a skotch! Bring on the games!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

I relented a few years ago, hooked up existing dish on home to allow NFL package and pay the extra monthly fee. No other reason, use another source for viewing pleasure. Anyways last year had to upgrade the dish for HD, that was a chore doing it myself. But got it done.
So this year didn't think much when the midwest storms knocked off the dish from rooftop. So I waited until time to reinstate service, Aug 1 - and installed dish back on roof in pretty much the exact same spot as last year. Only this time wasn't able to find signal as easily as before. It's a no brainer - set the tilt, elevation - and azimuth. But something wasn't hitting.
So finally had wife just sit in basement while I moved the dish around, and for some reason the elevation had to be raised a few degrees and there it was.
Point is don't just rely on your or their number, things can and do move around, or my install - though level - was off a skotch! Bring on the games!

never fully rely on those numbers. Id say odds are 1 in 50 your going to put back up an hd dish and the elevation be exactly where it was. the elevation didnt change the plumbness of your mast is what changed. either it wasnt perfectly plumb before or isnt now. either way those numbers are just a general starting point for you to find the sat , then fine tune. i see a few degree differences all the time , the end result that you have is all that matters !!!! good job..

#3 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

house sunk :lol:

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#4 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:48 AM

Now you tell me Wall!! And yes the mast could have changed, though I made a real effort to make sure it was plumb and everything was back to where it was before to avoid what happened from taking place. I was just surprised it changed as much as it did - went from 39 to 44! Lesson learned.

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

If the dish blew off the roof there is a pretty decent chance something could have bent also. That could throw the aiming numbers off, and possibly even cause enough of an issue to where the dish won't work well at all.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

If the dish blew off the roof there is a pretty decent chance something could have bent also. That could throw the aiming numbers off, and possibly even cause enough of an issue to where the dish won't work well at all.

didnt even think of that.. i had a bent one today. its really bent now.....

#7 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

I thought something might have been thrown out of kilter BEER - but when it came down landed on some soft covered garbage cans that had lids, and again I checked and there was no serious banging or bending. Again I made a real effort to make sure it was plumb as it was before and make sure I was as close to possible as before, but something did get thrown out of whack. And I just want to make others who might be in my position - too cheap to call an installer and just dangerous enough to think I can do it myself - that it is possible that it could have moved. I appreciate your input and thoughts though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...