Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RV Setup for my HR-24

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

I am trying get me a setup to use for my RV. I posted a couple of years ago and had previously used a single LNB with my HR-24 receiver. I never had success with this combination. I am sure I was missing something. Any ways I am wanting to replace the old single LNB with a SWM dish. I was looking at this one http://www.amazon.co...14065591&sr=8-2 - My hope is that it will basically work "out of the box" without having to reconfigure my receiver for different Sat types.

I am have had success in moving my existing home dish so the concepts of getting elevation and along with the tilt(or whatever its called) along with direction isn't a problem. I have a portable tripod that should work well enough to suit my needs.

My hope and question is if this setup will work as I hope it will - is there something else you guys may recommend for my portable needs. I have a couple of weeks before my Labor Day trip to purchase and try out before leaving. Thought I would start with the experts first.

Thanks in advance.

--Mickey

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

That's the one I use with my motorhome, Mickey. I run the PI off the block heater outlet in the electrical bay and bring the single cable in thru the outside cable input (which is also in the electrical bay), thru the switch box for all the TV inputs and across to the HR22-100. I have an AB switch inline so I can use the rooftop if I want to for overnighters or short stops where I don't want to mess with the tripod/slimline setup. It means re-running the setup to the 18" round dish but really doesn't take that much time.

You will have to run the dish setup once if you are now set up for a single LNB round dish.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

#3 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:48 AM

That's the one I use with my motorhome, Mickey. I run the PI off the block heater outlet in the electrical bay and bring the single cable in thru the outside cable input (which is also in the electrical bay), thru the switch box for all the TV inputs and across to the HR22-100. I have an AB switch inline so I can use the rooftop if I want to for overnighters or short stops where I don't want to mess with the tripod/slimline setup. It means re-running the setup to the 18" round dish but really doesn't take that much time.

You will have to run the dish setup once if you are now set up for a single LNB round dish.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

May do that..thanks.

My receiver is already setup for SWM so I hope not have to chase the re-setup each time.

So I also understand that that the Sat Meters don't work on the SWM - is that true? Heard some use the built in meter from the receiver to manage that task.

Also noticed that this particular comes with the dish(+ trip LNB) along with a switch. I suspect this is needed with this dish? I am a little confused about SWM and the wiring but learning about it.

Thanks for any other input on the above questions.

--Mickey

#4 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:01 AM

I use the Accutrac 22 (around $100 most places). What isn't clear to a lot of folks is that the SWM LNB goes into a setup mode when first powered up. The process is to power up the LNB first and align it with the meter before powering up the receiver. If the LNB is not in the setup mode, the Accutrac will show a constant signal level.

You wil also need the ASL-1 power passing switch (Google it), or it's equivalent. One of the switches included on that package may suffice.

Edited by Flugelman, 23 August 2011 - 07:53 AM.

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

#5 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

I use the Accutrac 22 (around $100 most places). What isn't clear to a lot of folks is that the SWM LNB goes into a setup mode when first powered up. The process is to power up the LNB first and align it with the meter before powering up the receiver. If the LNB is not in the setup mode, the Accutrac will show a constant signal level.

You wil also need the ASL-1 power passing switch (Google it), or it's equivalent. One of the switches included on that package may suffice.

Opps...I see you edited right before my reply..I was gonna ask how to get power to the LNB w/o the receiver. That now makes sense. I saw something similiar - I will compare whats in the box vs. ASL-1 to see the differences.

I will go do some research on this. Thanks

Oh - do the simpleton(like of better things to call it) meters still work on the SWM dishes or is there something else recommended?

--Mick

#6 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

Hmmmm... Don't know, never tried one. If it does, it would probably only work when the LNB is in the setup mode (before receiver is powered up). Might be worth a try.

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

#7 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

Hmmmm... Don't know, never tried one. If it does, it would probably only work when the LNB is in the setup mode (before receiver is powered up). Might be worth a try.

Been reading up on the ASL-1 and 21IV. Looks like that would do the trick with whatever type of Sat you are aligning. That's probably the problem with the newer IRDs that they don't send power all the time until setup - which explains why I couldn't dial in my single LNB except when I figured out the magic combination/setup (ie...manually configuring the IRD). I suspect this sent the power for the LNB and could make the signal meter work.

Any way the ASL plus the external power appears to be required for the SWM dishes - It also appeared I could use my older Sat Meter with ASL to dial in and then hook up the IRD and it would auto configure based up the dish pre-setup.

I plan to order the ASL-1 and Dish today - hopefullly will be in by early next week to try out before I leave. We shall see.

--Mickey

#8 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

Got ASL-1 and SWM dish in - tried setting up yesterday with no success. Not really sure what was wrong as I got some signal on the meter and was able to fine tune for Az and Elevation via 101. Not sure I did the 119 correctly as I think back but I am thinking the default of 78 should have been in the ball park. Nothing on the receiver(HR24) - basically couldn't get a signal nor would it VERIFY. It's the same dish as I have on the house so no config on the receiver should have been necessary. I was thinking I could at least get some simple 101 stuff but couldn't.

So as a second test, I grabbed my single LNB 18 dish and put it on my tripod. 22 seconds later with the meter and ASL-1 - I was done. Quite impressed with the ASL-1 and the PowerInverter - Me likes that I don't have power via the receiver to align.

So I will loop back to the SWM dish tomorrow - but I wondering if I needed to do anything really different. As far as cabling, I ran straight from the LNB back to the receiver. Didn't need the Splitter...I want to think power isn't needed from the PI as I don't have that on my home install from the HR24. I have an older non-DECA IRD for my DVR that has "some stuff" connected to it - not sure what it is besides the DECA.

So am I missing something here that I am not allowing for when connecting the HR24 to the SWM dish?

--Mickey

#9 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

Got ASL-1 and SWM dish in - tried setting up yesterday with no success. Not really sure what was wrong as I got some signal on the meter and was able to fine tune for Az and Elevation via 101. Not sure I did the 119 correctly as I think back but I am thinking the default of 78 should have been in the ball park. Nothing on the receiver(HR24) - basically couldn't get a signal nor would it VERIFY. It's the same dish as I have on the house so no config on the receiver should have been necessary. I was thinking I could at least get some simple 101 stuff but couldn't.

So as a second test, I grabbed my single LNB 18 dish and put it on my tripod. 22 seconds later with the meter and ASL-1 - I was done. Quite impressed with the ASL-1 and the PowerInverter - Me likes that I don't have power via the receiver to align.

So I will loop back to the SWM dish tomorrow - but I wondering if I needed to do anything really different. As far as cabling, I ran straight from the LNB back to the receiver. Didn't need the Splitter...I want to think power isn't needed from the PI as I don't have that on my home install from the HR24. I have an older non-DECA IRD for my DVR that has "some stuff" connected to it - not sure what it is besides the DECA.

So am I missing something here that I am not allowing for when connecting the HR24 to the SWM dish?

--Mickey

First, how many connectors are on the LNB that you say is your SWM LNB? There should only be one.

You must power the SWM LNB thru the power passing leg of the ASL-1. The signal from the LNB goes thru the PI (Power Inserter) to the receiver if you are not using a SWM-8 or SWM-16.

The receiver must be setup for the type dish and LNB for it to work correctly.

If you are using a meter it should be connected to a non power passing leg of the ASL-1. Do not power up the receiver until after you have powered up the SWM LNB and done the alignment. What model meter are you using?

Using the PI on a non SWM LNB will not work.

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

#10 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

First, how many connectors are on the LNB that you say is your SWM LNB? There should only be one.

You must power the SWM LNB thru the power passing leg of the ASL-1. The signal from the LNB goes thru the PI (Power Inserter) to the receiver if you are not using a SWM-8 or SWM-16.

The receiver must be setup for the type dish and LNB for it to work correctly.

If you are using a meter it should be connected to a non power passing leg of the ASL-1. Do not power up the receiver until after you have powered up the SWM LNB and done the alignment. What model meter are you using?

Using the PI on a non SWM LNB will not work.

On one connector on the SWM LNB

I believe you have just identified my problem - I took the ASL-1 out of the equation when hooking up to the receiver. I was thinking it wasn't needed. i don't have a SWM8/16. So basically now power to the LNB.

I have the HR24(not sure which model - 700 maybe just guessing). It is configured for #17 SWM-3 I think - that's what it auto configures to at home with the same dish.

With the ASL-1 - I have connections - obviously not the one for the LNB on top. One is clearly marked for Power. The other 2 to the right are for 119/101 respectively and then the one to the left(can't remember what that says - it's at home now and I am at work). Is the left most one for the receiver?

I have a Radio Shack Special Analog meter. However, my new one(DSF120+) came in last night but haven't had a chance to play with that one yet. Wasn't a fan of the analog but it did work.

Hope I answered all of your questions.

--Mickey

spam firewall