Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV & DISH Network HD Channel Lineup Comparison

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Attached is a HD channel comparison between the two satellite providers, DirecTV and DISH Network. Presented in PDF form, channels available on either DirecTV or DISH are listed along with the usual package needed to see that channel and channel number.

Note - for the most part only channels that are carried in HD on DirecTV or DISH are included. Channels that are not carried in HD by either satellite carrier are generally not included.

The file attached to this initial post will be updated as the channel lineups change. A post will be made in the thread at the time of the change to let people know what changed.

As with previous threads, this is NOT a thread to attack either provider or other members. This is NOT a thread for comparing DirecTV and DISH Network in other ways than their HD lineup. A reminder - There are threads in each of the provider forums here at DBSTalk for channels one might desire or anticipate their carrier adding.

The intent of this thread is to provide a simple reference for people wondering what HD each satellite carrier carries. Enjoy!

Attached Files

Edited by James Long, 11 April 2014 - 06:28 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

Cool Man

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

DISH has added WE, IFC & FUSE all in HD.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

File updated ...

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

Cool Man

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

DirecTV has added LMN HD, Investigation Discovery (ID) HD & TV Land HD.

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

File updated!

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,787 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

For DIRECTV you have Fox Soccer channel listed as being in Premier, that's changed and it now comes in Choice Xtra and higher.

Also curious why you list the Encore movie channels under your Premium Movie Channels section when I know for at least DIRECTV you can get all of then in the Choice Ultimate package, you show Encore East HD as Premier.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

For DIRECTV you have Fox Soccer channel listed as being in Premier, that's changed and it now comes in Choice Xtra and higher.

I'll make the change. I believe there are a couple of other channels that changed packages ... it is probably time to "audit" the list.

Also curious why you list the Encore movie channels under your Premium Movie Channels section when I know for at least DIRECTV you can get all of then in the Choice Ultimate package, you show Encore East HD as Premier.

Encore East actually being part of Ultimate is probably one of those changes. Technically DISH has Encore East HD in AT250 as well ... but only in lieu of the west feed.

Encore was placed on the "premium" page because it is a movie channel package and it could be added to any lower package (not in a tier) - at least on DISH. eg: One doesn't need to subscribe to AT250 to get the Encore channels - one can add Encore to any lower tier. Does DirecTV sell Encore "a la carte"? (I will check later if no reply.)

That does raise the issue of Epix which is sold a la carte for $7 on DISH as well as being in the $10 Blockbuster pack. It could be considered a smaller version of a movie package similar to Encore. But it is small.

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,787 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Does DirecTV sell Encore "a la carte"? (I will check later if no reply.)

That does raise the issue of Epix which is sold a la carte for $7 on DISH as well as being in the $10 Blockbuster pack. It could be considered a smaller version of a movie package similar to Encore. But it is small.

The Encore channels are available "a la carte" in the Starz/Encore package.

IMHO both the Epix and Encore channels should be treated under the same rules, which is they should both be considered avilable in a basic programming package.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

The Encore channels are available "a la carte" in the Starz/Encore package.

Ok ... the way I had it split on the chart separated DirecTV's package. Hopefully it is clearer now what one gets in each of the four premium movie packs (with notes for the channels that are also available in tiers). Technically if I followed the rule of not listing a channel unless either DISH or DirecTV carried it in HD most of the Encores would go away. But I consider premiums important enough to list.

Not having the Encores on the first page leaves more room for other basic channels. There are still a few of those that can be upgraded.

#10 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

Cool Man

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

... it is probably time to "audit" the list.

The following DIRECTV Cinema™ HD channels should be re-added as available:

And on here as well: http://jameslong.name/hdcount.html

Also, you might want to add the new rates that took effect on 1/17 to the DISH Network Price Increases history page.

Updates for the DISH Network HD Channel Conversion List:
  • HDNet is now AXStv
  • Planet Green is now Destination America
  • HDTheater is now Velocity
  • TV Guide Network (HD feed Available)
  • Daystar (No HD feed exist)
  • Christian Television Network (No HD feed exist)
  • Encore West (HD feed Available)
  • Universal Sports (HD feed Available)
  • Starz Cinema under Blockbuster Package (HD feed Available)
  • 869 Univision Deportes Network (HD feed Available, Latino packages)
  • CW, PBS, MyNetworkTV (HD feeds Available in select markets)

Edited by coolman302003, 26 January 2013 - 05:43 AM.
More updates

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the updates ... I won't comment on most of them here as they do not relate to the list in this thread. I heard some of the PPVs had returned but I did not dig deep enough to figure out which ones.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

DirecTV adds HD feeds for:
204 Headline News
232 The Cooking Channel
271 History Channel 2
541 Encore Action
559 IFC

File updated (the channels should become available at 6am ET).

Edited by James Long, 31 January 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,787 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Guess I still have to disagree with your decision to list the three Epix movie channels in the Basic HD section but put the two Encore HD channels in the Premium section even though you can get them on DIRECTV in a basic package.

#14 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Guess I still have to disagree with your decision to list the three Epix movie channels in the Basic HD section but put the two Encore HD channels in the Premium section even though you can get them on DIRECTV in a basic package.

Yep choice ultimate gives you Encore HD, Encore action HD, The Movie Channel HD Plus the other sd encore channels.

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Removing them from the Premium page would make DirecTV's Starz Super Pack appear smaller than it actually is. Either way someone will be upset.

Yep choice ultimate gives you Encore HD, Encore action HD, The Movie Channel HD Plus the other sd encore channels.

As noted on the chart. :)

#16 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

DirecTV: Fox Sports Arizona– Alternate is 695-1, part time
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

DirecTV: Fox Sports Arizona– Alternate is 695-1, part time

I do not see that channel in Sixto's listings and on the DirecTV website it is listed as "RSNaHD" ... not specifically FS Arizona.

#18 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Hmmm. For the last two years this is the channel number where FSAZ+ has always appeared. It's also the channel that Fox Sports claims is the plus channel on DirecTV. But I've never checked to see if there is stuff on the channel not related to Arizona.

Probably not a big deal what the channel is labeled anyways.

Thanks
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

I do not know if 695-1 is used for anything other than that particular alt RSN, but I defer to either Sixto or the DirecTV website. Mentioning it did remind me to "audit" the RSNs on the list. Hopefully everything is now up to date - until the next change.

#20 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

Cool Man

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

n3D has been completely removed from DirecTV (no longer listed).

Sixto noted the change in this post.
  • MIHotBear likes this

spam firewall