Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Steve Jobs Resigns

timer

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

http://blogs.wsj.com...s-as-apple-ceo/

August 24, 2011–To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

It is sad news to hear about Mr. Jobs.

It would seem this is quite serious this time, in comparison to to his last medical leave.

He is a proven visionary and I respect him for that, as well as his contributions on many charitable fronts.

May he enjoy his life away from the corporate clatter.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

It looks like he won't be too far away. He is expected be Chairman of the Board.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

More on Jobs:http://www.pcworld.c...tk=nl_newsalert

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

It looks like he won't be too far away. He is expected be Chairman of the Board.

Chairman of the Board doesn't mean much (although sometimes it might). Our Chairman participates in a phone call twice per year.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

Former Apple exec Guy Kawasaki made this comment to The New York Times today:

“You could make the case that Steve has injected so much of his DNA into Apple that Apple will continue,” said Guy Kawasaki, who was an Apple executive in the late 1980s. “Or you can make the case that without Steve, Apple will flounder. But you cannot make the case that Apple without Steve Jobs will be better. Hard to conceive of that.”

[more]

Edited by Steve, 24 August 2011 - 07:21 PM.

/steve

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

It's sad but no surprise. Honestly I think the company will continue to thrive.

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

For the immediate future, I suspect this has a bunch of potential for good for Apple. This might free Jobs up to be even more creative and visionary without the day to day grind of being CEO.

That said, it is sad that presumably it is his health that is dragging him down.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,986 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

Can't remember that I ever really had sad weepy thoughts about hearing of any CEO change, but this one really made be sad to see with the first tweet earlier today. I'm assuming it's health related.

I'm fairly new to the i* world, loving the iPad2, and recently (finally!) switching from Blackberry to iPhone4, but have been watching from a distance for a looooong time.

Whether you love him or hate him, Steve Jobs has certainly changed the world.

First usable graphical UI for the mainstream, digital music, the coolest phones ever, and lately finally a real deployment of tablet computing.

All of the above weren't necessarily invented by Steve/Apple, but he found a way to have each get great market adoption, worldwide.

Hopefully he'll still be around for awhile, because he has indeed made a difference, whether you love him, or not.

Sad day.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

I'm not sure that any one employee has meant so much to a company in the modern age.

Jobs was co-founder of Apple... and his ousting certainly didn't help their cause... meanwhile he went on to other successful endeavors on his own and was asked back to help revive a struggling Apple in the 1990s.

They have been on the fast track straight up ever since. He is more than just an echo of a time past or a founder lingering around... he might be the soul of Apple.

For his health, I wish him well... but this doesn't seem like good news as I can't imagine him stepping away unless he absolutely had to...

I agree the company will be ok for now... but unless they have some smart people who have paid attention to Jobs in recent years, I fear they might rest on their laurels and fall back as they did the last time he wasn't around to innovate.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:43 AM

It's sad but no surprise. Honestly I think the company will continue to thrive.

I'm sure the next 2-3 years of products are already in the pipeline, so it should be business as usual for Apple.

I think the real test will be 5 years down the road. Without someone like Jobs instigating the competition to set the bar higher, the whole industry could stagnate. I'm hopeful someone else can step-up as the next great innovator. Google's Page is brilliant, but at heart, he's a "computer guy", IMHO. In my mind, Jobs is a "consumer appliance" guy. For better or worse, I think that's always been the difference between Apple and the competition.

Edited by Steve, 25 August 2011 - 06:23 AM.

/steve

#12 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,181 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:59 AM

Mrs. Fluffybear had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Jobs through her work (just prior to the release of Jaguar) and said that he is a very interesting person to have a conversation with though he is kind of foul-mouthed.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#13 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

Chairman of the Board doesn't mean much (although sometimes it might). Our Chairman participates in a phone call twice per year.

Somehow I think Jobs may be a little different compared with your typical Chairman. ;)

That being said, I work for a family run business where the founder is considered somewhat of a legend in the industry and even though he is still around (like a Chairman might be) it's just not the same. Those innovative founders seem to have a unique way of thinking about the business and things just feel "different" when they're not involved in day-to-day operations.

Hopefully enough of Jobs has rubbed off on Apple and someone can step up to continue with the incredible amount of innovation they have shown over the years.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

I'm hoping the photo out on the Net isn't real. Please be photoshopped.

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

Somehow I think Jobs may be a little different compared with your typical Chairman. ;)

Not if he's dying.

#16 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:45 PM

Not if he's dying.

Yeah, that does throw a wrench on the gears doesn't it...

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

Just saw a story that Jobs' father wants to meet him, though he says Steve would need to initiate contact, as he's afraid that it would be seen as wanting part of the fortune. For those that don't know, Steve was adopted and his father is Syrian. I hadn't realized they never had contact, he met his sister (Mona Simpson) when he was in his 20s.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Just saw a story that Jobs' father wants to meet him, though he says Steve would need to initiate contact, as he's afraid that it would be seen as wanting part of the fortune. For those that don't know, Steve was adopted and his father is Syrian. I hadn't realized they never had contact, he met his sister (Mona Simpson) when he was in his 20s.

These kinds of situations always have a big "YMMV" depending upon the reason for the initial separation.

I've known of cases where the father abandoned the family... and in such a case, I can't blame a kid for growing up in a loving adoptive family and not having an interest in his biological parent by then.

I know little of the situation here... but I would say I find it odd for the father to make a statement like that when apparently the son hasn't had contact or shown interest in doing so... it's like an attempt to put pressure on the son somehow.

#19 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:20 AM

Being adopted myself, I have no trouble in seeing how an absent father might at least try one more time to have SOME kind of contact as Jobs is likely still very ill.

Staying away because you're afraid of what people might think sounds completely plausible to me.

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

Being adopted myself, I have no trouble in seeing how an absent father might at least try one more time to have SOME kind of contact as Jobs is likely still very ill.

Staying away because you're afraid of what people might think sounds completely plausible to me.

I guess my feeling would be different depending on whether a reporter sought him out and asked OR he sought out a reporter to go public.

IF the reporter sought him, then it's a last attempt that might be sincere... but if he sought the reporter, I might view it more as an attempt to pressure his son.

Of course not knowing the full story or the family dynamic, rush judgments by outsiders like me might be way off base.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: timer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...