Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Soccer to replace DirecTV as UEFA Europa League rights holder in 2012

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

Fox Soccer has reached a multiyear pact with the Union of European Football Associations for its Europa League tournament.

The new deal for The Continent's second-highest club level competition, financial terms of which were not disclosed, kicks in with the 2012-13 season and extends through the 2014-15 tourney. The exclusive contract will make Fox Soccer the only network in the U.S. and the Caribbean to air both the top-flight UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, previously known as the UEFA Cup.

DirecTV and Gol TV currently hold Europa League rights, concluding with the end of this campaign. The DBS provider and the bilingual, soccer-centric network didn't respond to requests for comment by press time.

http://www.multichan...League_Pact.php

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

Fox Soccer has reached a multiyear pact with the Union of European Football Associations for its Europa League tournament.

The new deal for The Continent's second-highest club level competition, financial terms of which were not disclosed, kicks in with the 2012-13 season and extends through the 2014-15 tourney. The exclusive contract will make Fox Soccer the only network in the U.S. and the Caribbean to air both the top-flight UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, previously known as the UEFA Cup.

DirecTV and Gol TV currently hold Europa League rights, concluding with the end of this campaign. The DBS provider and the bilingual, soccer-centric network didn't respond to requests for comment by press time.

Oh Bugger, I've loved D*'s broadcasting all of the games now we'll probably be just getting Fox's chosen game of the night and if they put it on the plus channel not at all :mad:

#3 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:31 AM

Oh Bugger, I've loved D*'s broadcasting all of the games now we'll probably be just getting Fox's chosen game of the night and if they put it on the plus channel not at all :mad:

Fox is the currently holder of the rights for the Champions League. And Directv shows other matches, in addition to the ones carried by Fox Soccer and Fox Soccer +. I have a feeling Europa League matches unavailable on Fox Soccer or Fox Soccer + will be available to Directv.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#4 OFFLINE   Chrismon1001

Chrismon1001

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

Fox is the currently holder of the rights for the Champions League. And Directv shows other matches, in addition to the ones carried by Fox Soccer and Fox Soccer +. I have a feeling Europa League matches unavailable on Fox Soccer or Fox Soccer + will be available to Directv.

I really hope its not just 1 or 2 matches and it is everygame as it is now.
FR - Mitsubishi 75" Den - Mitsubishi 65" BR 1 - Mitsubishi 55" BR 2 - Mitsubishi 46"
4 x HR24 - CINEMA Connection Kit – NFL Remote - Protection Plan
Premier Package - HD Extra Pack - Fox Soccer Plus - GSN Game Lounge
Blizzcon - NFL Sunday Ticket - NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go - MLS Direct Kick
1/2 Seasons: MLB Extra Innings - NBA League Pass
ESPN: GamePlan, FullCourt Via ESPN3 - Windstream: Basic Cable - 24 Mbps DSL - Phone
Netflix - Hulu Plus - Crunchyroll - Amazon Prime - NHL GameCenter Live
Music Unlimited/Spotify - Pandora One - SiriusXM Online

#5 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

So will DirecTV be showing all the Champions League group stage games not covered by FSC and cohorts again this season? It's the only clutter free TV you can watch these days.

#6 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

So will DirecTV be showing all the Champions League group stage games not covered by FSC and cohorts again this season? It's the only clutter free TV you can watch these days.

Yes!:) And my guess is DirecTV will have a similar agreement as the one they have with GOLTV for the Europa League coverage.

#7 OFFLINE   loudclapper

loudclapper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yes!:) And my guess is DirecTV will have a similar agreement as the one they have with GOLTV for the Europa League coverage.

Has anyone heard more on this? I looked at the Wiki page for the list of tv broadcasters for Champions League and under current it states Fox Sports / Directv. For future 2012-2015 it only has Fox Sports. For Europa League it states current as Directv and 2012-2015 as ESPN Deportes / Fox Sports.

I just don't think Directv has anything to do with them now.
But man were those broadcasts glorious! At half you got commentary free highlights and stadium noise.

#8 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

I wouldn't mind the bigger games going to FOX and ESPN. But unless FOX and ESPN have plans to make UEFA a major player in daytime television across many of their channels like they did with the last week of the EPL, they should keep D* in the mix for at least supplemental coverage. I am not real fond of delayed broadcasts.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#9 OFFLINE   russinpa

russinpa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Fox sub-licensed spanish language rights to the Europa League to ESPN Deportes.

http://espnmediazone...-for-2012-2013/

#10 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Has anyone heard more on this? I looked at the Wiki page for the list of tv broadcasters for Champions League and under current it states Fox Sports / Directv. For future 2012-2015 it only has Fox Sports. For Europa League it states current as Directv and 2012-2015 as ESPN Deportes / Fox Sports.

I just don't think Directv has anything to do with them now.
But man were those broadcasts glorious! At half you got commentary free highlights and stadium noise.

FOX can still sub-license the overflow to DirecTV. Or it can keep the rights to drive up subscriptions to FOXSoccer2Go.

#11 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

not subliscensing to DTV, looks like FOX/ESPN/FS2GO will take over now, for DTV subs, its a lose-lose, but for anybody else, its a win-win :D

#12 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

not subliscensing to DTV, looks like FOX/ESPN/FS2GO will take over now, for DTV subs, its a lose-lose, but for anybody else, its a win-win :D

A sub-licensing deal can come anytime.

#13 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Not necessarily. Fox has worked with DTV in regards to the Champions League. So a similar partnership concerning the Europa League is at least a decent possibility. Especially when one considers that there are way more group stage matches (and being played at the same time) in the Europa League.

#14 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Direct TV Sunday, er Soccer Ticket

#15 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

A sub-licensing deal can come anytime.

They ALREADY sublicensed to ESPN!!! Where else will they sublicense?? They can just put the remainders on tape-delay on both channels and do it live online!! Just like EPL!!

#16 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

They ALREADY sublicensed to ESPN!!! Where else will they sublicense?? They can just put the remainders on tape-delay on both channels and do it live online!! Just like EPL!!

There are too many matches to show them all on TV. As I said, a sublicense can come anytime. When ESPN sub-licensed he EPL a few years ago, a deal wasn't reached until the week before the first match. It doesn't mean a deal will happen, but it means it can happen.

#17 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

:hurah:

#18 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

A more appropriate question is: What's left now for GolTv? Just the Bundesliga, since French league and Spanish League are going to the Al Jazeera sports network?
I have a feeling GolTv will fold soon.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#19 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

A more appropriate question is: What's left now for GolTv? Just the Bundesliga, since French league and Spanish League are going to the Al Jazeera sports network?
I have a feeling GolTv will fold soon.

If that was to happen maybe Al Jazeera could take it over,

#20 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

AWESOME.Its about time:hurah:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...