Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Soccer to replace DirecTV as UEFA Europa League rights holder in 2012

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Blah...I will stick to MLS like I have from the very beginning! Just remember if more soccer fans supported MLS the league would grow and the quality would be better.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Blah...I will stick to MLS like I have from the very beginning! Just remember if more soccer fans supported MLS the league would grow and the quality would be better.

I did support it, until the league folded the team to which I had multiple season-tickets. Not since.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#23 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

I've recently made a suggestion via GolTV's website that they should go after Eredivisie (Netherlands) since they don't have a linear U.S. outlet except for ESPN3. Same with the Portugese Liga since SportTV America doesn't have much penetration although it is on Dish Network.

I don't think GolTV will fold yet, but they need to get proactive. They still broadcast a lot of South American games.

A more appropriate question is: What's left now for GolTv? Just the Bundesliga, since French league and Spanish League are going to the Al Jazeera sports network?
I have a feeling GolTv will fold soon.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#24 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 639 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hi Dave.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

Your argument is the same as saying we should all go to a bad restaurant over and over, because if we do, the food will finally get better.

The MLS has done an incredible job improving its product over the years, but thinking it will ever rival the EPL, La Liga, or Serie A is a stretch.

The infrastructure ( history, facilities, TV contracts, etc. ) of those leagues is too much to overcome.

We don't even play the game in the proper seasons here!

On the subject of the new Champions League contract, I see no reason why DirecTV should not be able to continue carrying all the overflow matches.

#25 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hi Dave.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

Your argument is the same as saying we should all go to a bad restaurant over and over, because if we do, the food will finally get better.

The MLS has done an incredible job improving its product over the years, but thinking it will ever rival the EPL, La Liga, or Serie A is a stretch.

The infrastructure ( history, facilities, TV contracts, etc. ) of those leagues is too much to overcome.

We don't even play the game in the proper seasons here!

On the subject of the new Champions League contract, I see no reason why DirecTV should not be able to continue carrying all the overflow matches.

+1

I had a house full of people watching Chelsea v. Arsenal earlier this season.. at 4:45 IN THE MORNING!!

#26 OFFLINE   loudclapper

loudclapper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

I really enjoy MLS, but if they want a better product they need to loose the salary cap to pay top flight talent. Money talks.
Moving the season to match up with the rest of the northern hemisphere would definitely help with Concacaf Champions League, but then would be competing with every other pro sport but baseball for TV viewership. But if the talent is there it wouldn't matter. Having a promotion / relegation system would in place would add to the excitment, but I seriously doubt the MLS owners would go for that.

Sorry, off topic.

Back on topic, it is possible that Directv could still carry the overfow of Europa League games then?

#27 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

I really enjoy MLS, but if they want a better product they need to loose the salary cap to pay top flight talent. Money talks.
Moving the season to match up with the rest of the northern hemisphere would definitely help with Concacaf Champions League, but then would be competing with every other pro sport but baseball for TV viewership. But if the talent is there it wouldn't matter. Having a promotion / relegation system would in place would add to the excitment, but I seriously doubt the MLS owners would go for that.

Sorry, off topic.

Back on topic, it is possible that Directv could still carry the overfow of Europa League games then?

Yes, it is possible.

#28 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:15 AM

Any more news on this???
We still have the UEFA channels on our guides so will broadcasting stay the same as previous years??

Ben
Voodoo

#29 OFFLINE   btk89

btk89

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Any more news on this???
We still have the UEFA channels on our guides so will broadcasting stay the same as previous years??

Ben
Voodoo

From what I can gather by this post, D* will still carry the UEFA Champions league as it always has. That is why the channels are still there. It is only the UEFA Europa league that is moving to Fox Soccer.

Someone please correct me if I am incorrect on this.

#30 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

From what I can gather by this post, D* will still carry the UEFA Champions league as it always has. That is why the channels are still there. It is only the UEFA Europa league that is moving to Fox Soccer.

Someone please correct me if I am incorrect on this.

DirecTV made a deal with FOX Soccer to carry the extra Champions League matches. It can still do the same with the Europa League.

spam firewall