Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hurricane Interference

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jlosh

jlosh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

I have ordered the UFC PPV on Saturday night. I live in SE PA and Irene will be closing in on my area later Saturday night. I was wondering what contingency plans Directv has if the storm causes a service interruption during the PPV. Years ago, I had ordered a WWE PPV on cable and a storm knocked out everything and most of the PPV was missed. The cable company gave us the encore replay 2 nights later for free to see what was missed. I was wondering if anyone experienced a similar situation in the past and what happened afterwards.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

Back when I watched wrestling there was never trouble on my end of things. But in the WWF's May 96 ppv a storm knocked out power to the bulding and their satellite truck. The cable company gave me a choice of either the replay for free or a refund. Then in 2006 when TNA set their building on fire during the ppv, at first all I saw was an In Demand screen pop up making me think it was a problem from them. I called cable and got a $20 credit. It was after this I found out it was TNA's fault, not the cable operator or distributor.

#3 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

If you can't get reception because of the hurricane, just call them. They will most likely issue a refund.... IF there is more calls from that area re: same.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#4 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

If I were you I would wait until a few minutes before the PPV starts and see how the weather is and your signal strength. If the weather isn't bad then order the PPV then. If it is I would hook a computer to your tv and order the PPV through UFC.tv.
Go Big Red!!!

#5 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

If I were you I would wait until a few minutes before the PPV starts and see how the weather is and your signal strength. If the weather isn't bad then order the PPV then. If it is I would hook a computer to your tv and order the PPV through UFC.tv.

What if it's so bad his Internet service dies during the storm. I agree with the person that said order it and call if the power goes out/signal gets interrupted. It's a hurricane. I would think it'd be easy enough for them to see the service address on his bill and know there was a Hurricane in the area. Just my two cents.

#6 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

Can you cancel it now?

I think I would just cancel it to be safe.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#7 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Can you cancel it now?

I think I would just cancel it to be safe.

If you ordered through your receiver, just don't watch it. It *should* turn off automatically and not charge you for it. If you ordered via the web or phone, call and ask them to cancel it for you.

#8 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

Cancel and be safe
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#9 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

Ok, I am in FL and have no weather issues, but my question is how the does the transmission work, the event is in Brazil, so could the hurricane effect the transmitting of the signal?

#10 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

DTV and ESPN have certainly screwed up LLWS coverage. Apparently, people in Hurricane areas with cable have been able to get the LLWS coverage on their ESPN but I can't on DTV. ESPN and ESPNU on DTV are showing the same HS football game.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

DTV and ESPN have certainly screwed up LLWS coverage. Apparently, people in Hurricane areas with cable have been able to get the LLWS coverage on their ESPN but I can't on DTV. ESPN and ESPNU on DTV are showing the same HS football game.

The LLWS game is on ABC

#12 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

Ok, I am in FL and have no weather issues, but my question is how the does the transmission work, the event is in Brazil, so could the hurricane effect the transmitting of the signal?

I don't see how, the broadcast will be uplinked from Brazil to a Satellite, downlinked by DTV in SoCal and then retransmitted by them. The Hurricane should have no affect

#13 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

The LLWS game is on ABC

Not in Hurricane areas (here in DC it's not....it's on 7.3 which I can't get). Again, cable systems in hurricane areas (with local coverage on their ABC) shifted their ESPN to LLWS coverage. DTV has not.

#14 OFFLINE   Lefky

Lefky

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

I would love to watch the LLWS. But all we get is all day weather forecasts treating us like we are stupid and did not prepare. Local ABC channel put LLWS on a sub channel DirectTV subscribers cannot get.

#15 OFFLINE   tenpins

tenpins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

The LLWS game is on ABC

+1, on local ABC in Colorado.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

I don't see how, the broadcast will be uplinked from Brazil to a Satellite, downlinked by DTV in SoCal and then retransmitted by them. The Hurricane should have no affect

thanks!!

#17 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Not in Hurricane areas (here in DC it's not....it's on 7.3 which I can't get). Again, cable systems in hurricane areas (with local coverage on their ABC) shifted their ESPN to LLWS coverage. DTV has not.

sorry missed the part about hurricane coverage on the locals

#18 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Again, cable systems in hurricane areas (with local coverage on their ABC) shifted their ESPN to LLWS coverage. DTV has not.

Cable systems serve very small areas, so they're able to do this. DirecTV can't just override ESPN programming for the entire country.

#19 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

Cable systems serve very small areas, so they're able to do this. DirecTV can't just override ESPN programming for the entire country.

So they can't press a button and put it on 210 that otherwise does nothing but show the DTV logo? They could have done it if they wanted to, but nobody bothered. NYC and other east coast cable systems managed it.

#20 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

So they can't press a button and put it on 210 that otherwise does nothing? They could have done it if they wanted to. NYC and other east coast cable systems managed it.

It would be a major hassle because of the fact that it's network programming, meant to be shown by affiliates. DirecTV probably decided it wasn't worth it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...