Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home Installed today. Need internet Connection Advice

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

I have been searching and called DirecTV tech support.

I have 3 HR24's. The installer used a Deca Broadband adapter and said this was the only way to connect up the internet. I do not have a coax connection in the room where my wireless router is. I do not have an ethernet connection in any of the rooms with HR24's. Can a Wireless Digital Cinema Connection Kit be used in this configuration? If so, how does it get connected and do I need some other parts to complete the connection.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,268 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

I have been searching and called DirecTV tech support.

I have 3 HR24's. The installer used a Deca Broadband adapter and said this was the only way to connect up the internet. I do not have a coax connection in the room where my wireless router is. I do not have an ethernet connection in any of the rooms with HR24's. Can a Wireless Digital Cinema Connection Kit be used in this configuration? If so, how does it get connected and do I need some other parts to complete the connection.

It sounds like the WCCK is the way to go here. I believe it can connect anywhere in the coax network and provide internet service to all your boxes from your wireless router.

The First Look is here: http://www.dbstalk.c...665#post2796665

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

That is what I was thinking but the installer and DirecTV tech support had no clue as to what I was talking about. Is there any preference as to running cat 5 to the deca or running coax from the receiver to the deca?

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,327 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

Is there any preference as to running cat 5 to the deca or running coax from the receiver to the deca?

The idea behind wireless is not having to run wires anywhere. The handiest place that you can get both coax from the satellite feed and AC power is what you're looking for. Usually that's going to be near one of the receivers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:38 AM

I had the wireless connection kit mailed to me. 2 separate truck rolls, and neither installer had a clue what they were looking at.

I'll try myself. I have a HR20 and a HR24. I imagine it would be easiest to connect it to the 24?
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

I had the wireless connection kit mailed to me. 2 separate truck rolls, and neither installer had a clue what they were looking at.

I'll try myself. I have a HR20 and a HR24. I imagine it would be easiest to connect it to the 24?

Shouldn't matter;

Or at any other convenient location on the coax network by either the coax pass-thru or single ended terminating option.

Its a very versatile device to be sure ...

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Shouldn't matter;

Or at any other convenient location on the coax network by either the coax pass-thru or single ended terminating option.

Its a very versatile device to be sure ...

It could hardly be easier:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1310680751
or:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

I ended up running a hardwire connection. Pulled the carpet back near the baseboard, drilled a hole in the computer room, drilled another hole in the bedroom and strung a cat 5 cable across the ceiling in the garage. No one at DirecTV seemed to know that there was a wireless connection. I think I will have to call them up and get a credit since the installer really didn't complete the job.

#9 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

It could hardly be easier:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1310680751
or:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989

If I am connecting to an HR24, do I sill need the connected home adapter?

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

If I am connecting to an HR24, do I sill need the connected home adapter?

Top picture is for a 24/25 and the bottom picture is for those without the DECA internal.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

So if I connect using the top picture to my HR 24, my HR 20 will automatically pick up its signal with no modification?

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

So if I connect using the top picture to my HR 24, my HR 20 will automatically pick up its signal with no modification?

No, the HR20 still needs the white DECA module to connect to the coax network.

The point is you can connect the DCCK-W near or far from either or both receivers anywhere on the coax network in pass-thru (as illustrated earlier) or terminated option (not shown), and it will provide a WiFi connection to the router for internet access to both receivers as well as any others in the DECA cloud.

Edited by HoTat2, 28 August 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

If I start by connecting the box to my HR24, without connecting the white DECA module to the HR20, will I get internet on the 24? (this would just be to verify I at least have internet to my main receiver.)

Or do I need to connect everything at the same time?

Edited by ejjames, 28 August 2011 - 10:34 PM.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#14 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:42 PM

Success! My dad and I did what 2 separate techs could not. We simply connected the WCCK box to the HR24. I entered my wireless password, and we were good to go.

We then connected the connected home adapter to the HR20, and instant internet access! It took us all of 10 minutes. No thanks to the 2 techs, but as usual, many thanks to HoTat2, veryoldschool and everyone else for the excellent advise.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

spam firewall