Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power Inserter and Long Run of Cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   YCT

YCT

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

I have a slimline dish (formerly) with 5 LNBs running through a SWM8. I changed the LNB to a SWM3 and removed the SWM8. I have probably a 150 foot run of cable.

The SWM3 LNB did not power up via the PI-21. I installed the PI-28 that was used to operate the SWM8 and the system powered up and is running great.

My question: Am I going to do long term harm running the PI-28 or is the voltage loss over the long run of cable compensating for the "incorrect" power inserter?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

I have a slimline dish (formerly) with 5 LNBs running through a SWM8. I changed the LNB to a SWM3 and removed the SWM8. I have probably a 150 foot run of cable.

The SWM3 LNB did not power up via the PI-21. I installed the PI-28 that was used to operate the SWM8 and the system powered up and is running great.

My question: Am I going to do long term harm running the PI-28 or is the voltage loss over the long run of cable compensating for the "incorrect" power inserter?

"Nope", the SWiMLNB in the test group came with the PI 28, which I'm still using over about 100'.
I'd say, it just isn't a good idea to do this with copper clad coax, so make sure/stay with solid copper core.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   YCT

YCT

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

I am using solid copper. Thank you very much for the quick response.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

I am using solid copper. Thank you very much for the quick response.

Think mine has been this way for 4 years. ;)
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall