Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FSS Technician Seeking Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FSS SolutionJ

FSS SolutionJ

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

Hello DBSTalk! I've lurked this and similiar DBS forums since Wildthing flasher was making it's round, and have always found an answer to whatever question presented itself. Unfortunately, today I have a question so subjective: even Google couldn't answer me. So what to do?

Make an account and ask!

I am currently working for a interstate contractor under Dishnet in the North-East TX region pulling roughly 700 post tax per week. My contractor can transfer me to San Antonio TX with relative ease, and presumably a larger town means more modern wiring -RG6 Prewires; etc- Are there any techs who could give me some incite as to what to expect transferring to a MUCH larger city like that... Or at best if I can expect to maintain my current wages (The pay is salary at both locations roughly 30$/TC or SC & 50$ for 2br NC)... Any

ANY

suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

For starters, you are on the Directv forum, go to dishnet forum. Second, if you will still be working for the same group, then your pay should be same or better. Good luck

#3 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

are you full time 40+ hours per week if so you should quit and look for a different job because you are either really slow or getting ripped off

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,323 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:19 PM

For starters, you are on the Directv forum, go to dishnet forum. Second, if you will still be working for the same group, then your pay should be same or better. Good luck

For stater, you should know thre is no dish MDU/installers forum, for second - he did post already here, but regular subscribers cannot follow him ...

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

are you full time 40+ hours per week if so you should quit and look for a different job because you are either really slow or getting ripped off

$700/week after taxes is getting ripped off? That seems like pretty decent pay to me. The way I see people in here complain about how poorly the job pays, I figured it would be more like $700/week before taxes.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

$700/week after taxes is getting ripped off? That seems like pretty decent pay to me. The way I see people in here complain about how poorly the job pays, I figured it would be more like $700/week before taxes.

Most people won't say they get paid what they're job is worth and almost no one will say they get paid what they're worth.

Technicians can make a very good living off if it if they want to put in the work and the effort. Some days are better than others but overall it's not a bad paying job for those with a good effort. Do they get paid enough per job well that's where most of the posts come in. However you see people on here like BZ and others who have been doing this for years and with a very few exceptions most of the techs that post on here seem to be intelligent enough to know if they could make better money elsewhere.

#7 OFFLINE   leeliam

leeliam

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

There are guys in our HSP making $40k and a one making $100k+. If you are fast and know the technology you can make a ton of money. If you are slow, cut corners and screw over customers you end up going back to jobs for free to fix your mistakes and you make horrible money.

Work fast and smart and you can easily make $75k your first year. This is working a ton of 6 day workweeks though. I know techs that have been doing this for years and they make $16 an hour. Others make close to $30. It's all about knowledge and knowing how to get the job done right while moving fast.

spam firewall