Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EHD & File Transfer Weirdness

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ggulch

ggulch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

Could someone offer a WAG regarding why I can transfer a folder of files (all Big Bang Theory episodes) between a 622 and one EHD (a 2T Samsung) but when I try to move the same files from the 622 to another EHD (750 Maxtor) I immediately get a "file transfer completed" pop-up and no files have been moved? There's another folder (White Collar episodes) that I can't move at all. The odd thing is that all these files play fine from where they are located.

A little background - About a month ago I bought two 2T Samsungs at Fry's. My initial plan was to dump everything from a couple of 750s, a 500 and a 300 onto one of the 2Ts. However, as I went through the laborious process of copying from one END to another via the DVR, I discovered that accessing files on a 2T takes a LONG time, so I decided to split different types of programming between drives.

That's when I began to have problems moving some, but not all of the files around. Sounds like file corruption issues, but if that's the case, why do the files still play?

Thoughts/suggestions?

TIA,
Ron

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

There was an alternative path - search for "DishArc" keyword here.

#3 OFFLINE   ggulch

ggulch

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

There was an alternative path - search for "DishArc" keyword here.

I've gone through a couple of the threads and will check that out, but I'm still wondering why I can't move these specific 24 files off of the DVR hard drive? I "ungrouped" them and tried moving a couple of files individually, but the same thing happened. Weird!

Ron

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

I would imagine metadata is corrupted, but who knows ? If you could try mount it under Linux, at least you could get assurance in file system integrity ...

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

I haven't messed with my 622 in a while... but using my 922 as an example...

Whenever I move a file from an EHD to my DVR, the file is automatically marked as "protected"... which means I have to unprotect it in order to delete OR move it back off to an EHD.

You might want to check those files you are having trouble with and see if they have been marked as protected.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   ggulch

ggulch

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

I haven't messed with my 622 in a while... but using my 922 as an example...

Whenever I move a file from an EHD to my DVR, the file is automatically marked as "protected"... which means I have to unprotect it in order to delete OR move it back off to an EHD.

You might want to check those files you are having trouble with and see if they have been marked as protected.

No, I'm aware of that and have made sure the files are all unprotected. I've pretty much decided to buy The Big Bang Theory on DVD anyway. Just have to decide if I want to spring for Blu-Ray. Amazon has a bundle of the 1st 3 seasons (in SD) for under $60. Blu-Ray runs almost twice that. Both my Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players upconvert, as does my DVD-R, so I'll probably go SD. FWIW, the files that I can't move off of the 622 DVR are all White Collar episodes. I think I'll keep an eye on DVD prices of that series for a while.

It's become a challenge to figure out what's going on. I should be able to move the files around, and I'd like to know why I can't, but they play back just fine. Like I said earlier, weird!

Ron

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

There have been times where people have been unable to record a particular channel or archive a recording... There are flags that can be set to prevent that, and sometimes it happens by accident.

I would never notice since I don't archive TV shows... I DVR them and watch them, but not to keep... so IF that happened to me I would never know.

I wonder, in your case, if it is a "White Collar" issue or perhaps it would be true of other things recorded off of USA too.

It could be intentional or accidental.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...