Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release -DISH Introduces Tailgater - Portable Sat System Ideal for RV's, ETC...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

DISH NETWORK INTRODUCES TAILGATER – PORTABLE SATELLITE SYSTEM IDEAL FOR RV’S, CAMPING AND TAILGATING

Tailgater - Simple to Set Up and Ready for Use in Minutes

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Aug. 29, 2011 – DISH Network L.L.C. today introduced the Tailgater™ by DISH Network®, a lightweight, portable satellite TV antenna ideal for watching TV while tailgating, camping, RVing or engaging in other outdoor activities.

The Tailgater is not only one of the lowest-priced portable satellite antennas on the market but also one of the easiest to use. Weighing in at just 10 pounds, the Tailgater automatically locates satellite positions, which means that there’s no need for manual antenna adjustment. The Tailgater easily connects to a small, sleek DISH Network set-top box and TV. Within minutes, customers will be able to enjoy their favorite channels in high definition.

“Tailgaters across the country have wanted an easy way to watch their games in HD, and now they can through DISH Network’s Tailgater – the best value for a portable satellite TV antenna on the market,” said Ira Bahr, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. “The Tailgater’s simple set-up combined with full access to DISH Network’s programming packages at convenient month-to-month pricing makes it the best ‘TV-on-the-go’ option for outdoor enthusiasts.”

The Tailgater costs $350 and works with DISH Network’s ViP 211k (MSRP: $149) single-tuner HD receiver. For added flexibility, DISH Network offers customers a convenient solution that allows them to pay month-to-month for programming, ensuring they only pay for the service when in use. Current DISH Network customers can use their existing account to service the Tailgater system. An additional outlet fee may apply.

For more information about the Tailgater by DISH Network, visit www.dish.com/tailgater.

###

About DISH NetworkDISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.056 million satellite TV customers, as of June 30, 2011, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

Edited by Jason Nipp, 29 August 2011 - 11:26 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Looks like a subsidized price on the King Controls VuQube 2000, plus some software in the ViP211k. Nice combination.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

One downside:
You only get HD locals if they are on the Western Arc otherwise you get SD only and no locals in Bluefield (WV), Lake Charles (LA), Columbia (MS), Springfield (MA), and Providence (RI) markets. Of course OTA is a workaround if you can receive a signal but its just one more thing to have to hook up to this portable solution.

Other then that it seems like a pretty simple solution.

Edited by coolman302003, 29 August 2011 - 02:39 PM.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#4 OFFLINE   Lostinspace

Lostinspace

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

I was just about to order a Winegard Carryout Dish to use with my existing leased 211. It appears the new TailGater would save me about $200 over the sale price of the Carryout, so it seems to make sense to order the new package then return the leased 211.

Edited by Lostinspace, 30 August 2011 - 09:27 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Does the package come with HD programming from NY & LA?

#6 OFFLINE   Lostinspace

Lostinspace

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Does the package come with HD programming from NY & LA?

As an additional receiver on your account it will have whatever programming you are currently subscribed to, including HD locals if you are within the spotbeam for your locals. If your question was in reference to distant NY and LA locals, that's a separate issue.

#7 OFFLINE   magz

magz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

First post, and I ordered my tailergater yesterday around 4 after finding out about it online here. we'll see how it goes and ill report back. lets hope it gets here by friday so i can take it out laborday weekend!

also i called customer services yesterday to inquire about some stuff on it and they were pretty much clueless and kept saying it wasn't avaliable to purchase yet untill i emailed them the link that show'd it.

Edited by magz, 30 August 2011 - 08:52 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

Looks good. D* needs to update the satellite to go to get the high def channels.
my setup here

#9 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'd be interested in something like this from D*

#10 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

I'd be interested in something like this from D*

You can actually use the same cube with D* except right now its not compatible with D* HD signals. KVH makes a less mobile unit that is mounted to the roof of your car which is HD compatible.

Just looks like Dish is reselling it now.

#11 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

You can actually use the same cube with D* except right now its not compatible with D* HD signals. KVH makes a less mobile unit that is mounted to the roof of your car which is HD compatible.

This particular model, VQ2500, if I understand correctly, is preset for the DISH Western Arc only. All control is entirely thru the ViP211K.

#12 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

This particular model, VQ2500, if I understand correctly, is preset for the DISH Western Arc only. All control is entirely thru the ViP211K.

Sure makes sense, Dish is giving you a $500 discount on it, they will lock it to their SAT. But you could pay full price for the VQ2000 or VQ3000... or some other KVH models, which work on both providers, including others in different countries.

#13 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

Yeah but it's like $1700.00

#14 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

I'm a long time customer of DirecTV having, at various times, in a house, condo and motorhome. Currently it is in both the house and motorhome on one account. Over the years, DirecTV has made it increasingly difficult to be a customer. The last time I checked, their terms of service require separate accounts for the RV and condo. Most RVers I know ignore that rule and "cheat".

Mobile accounts seem to be such a minor part of the DirecTV customer base there seems to be little interest in doing much to improve service or feature options for us.

It is refreshing to see Dish create a product like this. Focusing on tailgating suggests they are aiming at the sports crowd that DirecTV aims at. My guess is that long haul truckers, although not mentioned as the target market, may end up being a significant part of the tailgater customer base.

One amazing feature is that, according to the FAQs, you can plug in your own external HDD and have a DVR for a one time $40 fee. That is an enormous improvement over the way DirecTV does it.

Bill, a DirecTV customer since 1999
--Condo: Slimline AU9, HR21-100 > Panasonic 42” Plasma with Bose CineMate, HR24-200> Sony KDL-55HX800 LED & 3D with Sony Soundbar HT-CT150, Wii
--Motorhome: 2004 40' Beaver, ISC 350 Cummins, KVH R5 - in motion, R15-500 > 30" Sharp Aquos LCD

#15 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

bsprague,

You can connect an EHD to the 211k receiver and convert the receiver into a DVR allowing you to record your favorite programs. There is the one time charge of $40 to activate the USB port on the receiver. At this time there is not the DVR charge of $6 when converting the 211k to a DVR.

#16 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

Anyone know if they're working on an EA solution?

#17 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

david_jr,

WA is the only solution right now. I haven't heard if there will be an EA solution but so far the answer is no.

#18 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Anyone know if they're working on an EA solution?

The standard VuCube2000 and 3000 do support the EA. However those are much more expensive. I would imagine that because the standard VuCubes do, that this model probably could if it was told to do so in software... perhaps there is a marketing reason behind not supporting it at this time?? Don't know the answer to that one... Perhaps Ray or Matt at Dish can escalate the question and get a fuzzy ball park on if the EA will be allowed on this model in the future, or perhaps now.

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

Jason, any chance the limitation is the software in the 211 right now? And that a future 211 release will allow the EA as well?

(Or perhaps I'm just ignert of the dish side of things and asked goofy question.) :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#20 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Jason, any chance the limitation is the software in the 211 right now? And that a future 211 release will allow the EA as well?

(Or perhaps I'm just ignert of the dish side of things and asked goofy question.) :)

Cheers,
Tom

Don't think so Tom...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...